Starting firewall-service before net-service

Hi,

I have a problem concerning that my pcs logs on to the internet before
the firewall even started, and therefore I am vulnerable for a short
time. My Pc get viruses in that short time.
My question is: how do i start the firewall before my pc goes into the
net?

thx for any replies

casey

In article <1ab43947.0405020714.61b07d70@posting.google.com>, etewolf@yahoo.de says...
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem concerning that my pcs logs on to the internet before
> the firewall even started, and therefore I am vulnerable for a short
> time. My Pc get viruses in that short time.
> My question is: how do i start the firewall before my pc goes into the
> net?
>
> thx for any replies

Use Sygate. It has a selectable function "Block all Traffic While
the Service is not Loaded.
casey

"Casey" <casey@nosuch.net> wrote in message
> In article <1ab43947.0405020714.61b07d70@posting.google.com>,
etewolf@yahoo.de says...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a problem concerning that my pcs logs on to the internet before
> > the firewall even started, and therefore I am vulnerable for a short
> > time. My Pc get viruses in that short time.
> > My question is: how do i start the firewall before my pc goes into the
> > net?
> >
> > thx for any replies
> >
> Use Sygate. It has a selectable function "Block all Traffic While
> the Service is not Loaded.
> casey

How can Sygate do that if the service is not loaded fast enough at boot?
How can Sygate at boot with a running background component that must be
started and may not be started fast enough at boot provide any protection in
this area on the TCP/IP? The O/S is certainly not waiting for Sygate and
neither is the malware that can easily beat any third party PFW solution in
this area at system boot. If Sygate was truly integrated with the O/S, then
maybe just maybe, it has a chance. If not, then it can be beaten at system
boot.

Duane :)

..

> I have a problem concerning that my pcs logs on to the internet before
> the firewall even started, and therefore I am vulnerable for a short
> time. My Pc get viruses in that short time.
> My question is: how do i start the firewall before my pc goes into the
> net?

You can get a cheap NAT router that cost as much as Sygate and put it in
front of the machine. The router is already up and running, because it's a
standalone device that is not booted like the PC.

You can use Sygate behind the NAT router if you like.

Duane :)

Sarge

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2004

etewolf@yahoo.de (etewolf) wrote in news:1ab43947.0405020714.61b07d70
@posting.google.com:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem concerning that my pcs logs on to the internet before
> the firewall even started, and therefore I am vulnerable for a short
> time. My Pc get viruses in that short time.
> My question is: how do i start the firewall before my pc goes into the
> net?
>
> thx for any replies

If you're using Windows 2000/XP/2003 make TCP/IP dependent on your firewall
service. For XP you'd modify the DependOnService value of:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip