notebook overclock?

deee12

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Sorry if it's a dumb question,..I know the p4 1.6ghz is highly overclockable but was wondering if this is still true for notebooks? Two notebooks are same in all specs and price except one is p4 1.6 and the other is xp1700+ I must decide which is best ...if the p4 in the notebook is overclocable I think it's the best deal but I kinda doubt that you can due to cooling issues.... please help.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I wouldn't overclock a notebook due to cooling issues and battery life. In fact, I just installed an UNDERCLOCKED CPU on a friend's notebook so that I could run it BELOW the specified voltage, resulting in a much cooler laptop with much improved battery life. Your best Notebook performance will be had with a PIII-m notebook, as the PIII-m has the Tualatin core with 512k cache. The PIII-m 1400 will run as fast as an XP 1600+, but with much less heat, usually better video chip options, and longer battery life.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>