Spooler failure

May 30, 2005 1:28:25 PM

Working with 2 local Zebra Barcode printers, one on Com1 the other on LPT1.
Either one works fine alone, however sometimes when both are printing,
spooler service stops. A “net start spooler� command sometimes will get the
print spooler restarted. My question/quandary is "Why is the spooler failing
in the first place"? Should I not be able to print to 5 local printers if I
had that many connected? Should I install a second LPT port. Is this a
communications error, a driver (have latest) error or a hardware issue (has
happened on 3 different systems). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

More about : spooler failure

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 6:49:35 PM

Print Spoolers stop in 99% of cases from bad, missing or corrupted printer
drivers.
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"G. Vankoughnett" <GVankoughnett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Working with 2 local Zebra Barcode printers, one on Com1 the other on
> LPT1.
> Either one works fine alone, however sometimes when both are printing,
> spooler service stops. A "net start spooler" command sometimes will get
> the
> print spooler restarted. My question/quandary is "Why is the spooler
> failing
> in the first place"? Should I not be able to print to 5 local printers if
> had that many connected? Should I install a second LPT port. Is this a
> communications error, a driver (have latest) error or a hardware issue
> (has
> happened on 3 different systems). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 5:19:04 PM

Send the dmp file to MS when requested. I have seen drivers fail when
setting a variable intended for one device at a time but the driver code
caused the spooler to fail when multiple devices accessed the data
concurrently. So yes the spooler supports printing to multiple local (and
remote) devices at the same time as long as the driver supports it.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> Print Spoolers stop in 99% of cases from bad, missing or corrupted printer
> drivers.
> --
> Cari
> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
>
> "G. Vankoughnett" <GVankoughnett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> > Working with 2 local Zebra Barcode printers, one on Com1 the other on
> > LPT1.
> > Either one works fine alone, however sometimes when both are printing,
> > spooler service stops. A "net start spooler" command sometimes will get
> > the
> > print spooler restarted. My question/quandary is "Why is the spooler
> > failing
> > in the first place"? Should I not be able to print to 5 local printers
if
> > had that many connected? Should I install a second LPT port. Is this a
> > communications error, a driver (have latest) error or a hardware issue
> > (has
> > happened on 3 different systems). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

August 11, 2005 7:24:03 PM

I have no idea what a print spooler is and mine doesn't work. I get an error
message stating that I cannot print due to an absence of print spooler. If
anyone knows how to fix this problem, I would be greatly appreciative. Thank
you.
--
Willard

"G. Vankoughnett" wrote:

> Working with 2 local Zebra Barcode printers, one on Com1 the other on LPT1.
> Either one works fine alone, however sometimes when both are printing,
> spooler service stops. A “net start spooler� command sometimes will get the
> print spooler restarted. My question/quandary is "Why is the spooler failing
> in the first place"? Should I not be able to print to 5 local printers if I
> had that many connected? Should I install a second LPT port. Is this a
> communications error, a driver (have latest) error or a hardware issue (has
> happened on 3 different systems). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 3:13:38 PM

If you have accidentally deleted the print spooler, then you will need to do
a Repair Installation of XP.

Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

!