Spooler failure

Working with 2 local Zebra Barcode printers, one on Com1 the other on LPT1.
Either one works fine alone, however sometimes when both are printing,
spooler service stops. A “net start spooler� command sometimes will get the
print spooler restarted. My question/quandary is "Why is the spooler failing
in the first place"? Should I not be able to print to 5 local printers if I
had that many connected? Should I install a second LPT port. Is this a
communications error, a driver (have latest) error or a hardware issue (has
happened on 3 different systems). Any help will be greatly appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about spooler failure

    Print Spoolers stop in 99% of cases from bad, missing or corrupted printer
    drivers.
    --
    Cari
    (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

    "G. Vankoughnett" <GVankoughnett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Working with 2 local Zebra Barcode printers, one on Com1 the other on
    > LPT1.
    > Either one works fine alone, however sometimes when both are printing,
    > spooler service stops. A "net start spooler" command sometimes will get
    > the
    > print spooler restarted. My question/quandary is "Why is the spooler
    > failing
    > in the first place"? Should I not be able to print to 5 local printers if
    > had that many connected? Should I install a second LPT port. Is this a
    > communications error, a driver (have latest) error or a hardware issue
    > (has
    > happened on 3 different systems). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    Send the dmp file to MS when requested. I have seen drivers fail when
    setting a variable intended for one device at a time but the driver code
    caused the spooler to fail when multiple devices accessed the data
    concurrently. So yes the spooler supports printing to multiple local (and
    remote) devices at the same time as long as the driver supports it.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    > Print Spoolers stop in 99% of cases from bad, missing or corrupted printer
    > drivers.
    > --
    > Cari
    > (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
    >
    > "G. Vankoughnett" <GVankoughnett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    > > Working with 2 local Zebra Barcode printers, one on Com1 the other on
    > > LPT1.
    > > Either one works fine alone, however sometimes when both are printing,
    > > spooler service stops. A "net start spooler" command sometimes will get
    > > the
    > > print spooler restarted. My question/quandary is "Why is the spooler
    > > failing
    > > in the first place"? Should I not be able to print to 5 local printers
    if
    > > had that many connected? Should I install a second LPT port. Is this a
    > > communications error, a driver (have latest) error or a hardware issue
    > > (has
    > > happened on 3 different systems). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    I have no idea what a print spooler is and mine doesn't work. I get an error
    message stating that I cannot print due to an absence of print spooler. If
    anyone knows how to fix this problem, I would be greatly appreciative. Thank
    you.
    --
    Willard

    "G. Vankoughnett" wrote:

    > Working with 2 local Zebra Barcode printers, one on Com1 the other on LPT1.
    > Either one works fine alone, however sometimes when both are printing,
    > spooler service stops. A “net start spooler� command sometimes will get the
    > print spooler restarted. My question/quandary is "Why is the spooler failing
    > in the first place"? Should I not be able to print to 5 local printers if I
    > had that many connected? Should I install a second LPT port. Is this a
    > communications error, a driver (have latest) error or a hardware issue (has
    > happened on 3 different systems). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    If you have accidentally deleted the print spooler, then you will need to do
    a Repair Installation of XP.

    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Walnut Willie" <WalnutWillie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have no idea what a print spooler is and mine doesn't work. I get an
    >error
    > message stating that I cannot print due to an absence of print spooler.
    > If
    > anyone knows how to fix this problem, I would be greatly appreciative.
    > Thank
    > you.
    > --
    > Willard
    >

    > "G. Vankoughnett" wrote:
    >
    >> Working with 2 local Zebra Barcode printers, one on Com1 the other on
    >> LPT1.
    >> Either one works fine alone, however sometimes when both are printing,
    >> spooler service stops. A "net start spooler" command sometimes will get
    >> the
    >> print spooler restarted. My question/quandary is "Why is the spooler
    >> failing
    >> in the first place"? Should I not be able to print to 5 local printers
    >> if I
    >> had that many connected? Should I install a second LPT port. Is this a
    >> communications error, a driver (have latest) error or a hardware issue
    >> (has
    >> happened on 3 different systems). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Windows XP