Sign in with
Your question

Newly built gaming PC is freezing for some unknown reason

Last response: in Video Games
September 19, 2012 5:09:19 AM

So I built my PC a couple of months ago now, and it has ran fine up until a few days ago, when it began freezing (Whole system lockup - Requiring hard reset). At first I though it was my graphics card, but is has since started freezing even when I am not playing anything. Im completely stumped as to what it could be.

OS - Win7 Home Premium
CPU: i7 3930k
RAM: 16Gb Corsair Dominator
GFX: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 OC edition
Mobo: P9X79
PSU: Corsair AX1200 Gold
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (Ive got more, but this is the one my OS is on)
CPU-Fan: Noctua NH-D14

This PC has never put out any great amount of heat so I am not sure if it is overheating :S

Yea, any help would be greatly appreciated as I have no ideas :S

September 19, 2012 1:54:06 PM

well, what have you checked so far?

Firstly check your temps, obviously. (hwinfo, hwmonitor)

Secondly, check event viewer for any clues of critical errors that might have caused hangups. Were there any BSODs?

Are all your drivers updated? how about motherboard BIOS?

Are you overclocking anything? Tried rolling the overclock back to stock?

Have you checked that your RAM is running at proper settings? Firstly check in BIOS then run memtest86

Lastly, make sure all connections inside the case are plugged in securely. And check the voltages (hwmonitor)
m
l
September 28, 2012 11:58:49 PM

Oh, I figured it out, for some reason my BIOS reset and nothing was getting enough power.
m
l
September 29, 2012 12:56:17 AM

AntiZig said:
well, what have you checked so far?

Firstly check your temps, obviously. (hwinfo, hwmonitor)

Secondly, check event viewer for any clues of critical errors that might have caused hangups. Were there any BSODs?

Are all your drivers updated? how about motherboard BIOS?

Are you overclocking anything? Tried rolling the overclock back to stock?

Have you checked that your RAM is running at proper settings? Firstly check in BIOS then run memtest86

Lastly, make sure all connections inside the case are plugged in securely. And check the voltages (hwmonitor)

I agree, BUT I always check all cables are securely plugged in FIRST.

A hard freeze is normally a hard disk problem...especially C: as Windows OS cannot fuction and will lock up when you remove the sata cable from the drive during operation... go on try it If you don't believe me.(It will not damage your board/disk as sata is natively Hot-pluggable, I'm NOT talking to ppl with RAID setups though...)
m
l
!