Do you think video games can "be a sin"?

Agree or disagree?

• Yes

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • I don't care what some pastor thinks.

Votes: 14 60.9%

• Total voters
Now that I've read the article, as it was not too long, I'll give my thoughts. I'm not a man of God, but I have several pastors in the family, so I am pretty familiar with what goes on.

Anyways, I think I would agree with the article, other than the God part. You can substitute God with just dedicating yourself to helping your community, family or just bettering yourself.

cl-scott

Honorable
There are plenty of people who will just go with some kind of knee-jerk reaction rather than take the time to really understand the various nuances of a situation. I consider these people to be guilty of the sin of pride, so for the Christians, I would point them to the bit about let he without sin cast the first stone. Not to mention the part about hating the sin, loving the sinner. Things that seem to be conveniently ignored in situations like this.

Now, if we are talking about Sin from FFX, then my answer would be completely different.

JBB-SaDo

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2012

*bystander*
I don't claim to have the all the answers by a long shot.
if you ever have any questions about God or anything I *might* be able point you in the right direction. :)

I will be praying for you!

*cl-scott*

True: lot's of Christians are guilty of pride and of judging others but not themselves.
cool article I read last night about judging others.

http://biblebelievers.com/jmelton/Judging.html

Matthew 7:1-5
“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

I'm sorry. I wish we would judge each other lovingly. Showing were the other is wrong, but not just to bring them down, but to raise them up and make them stronger. And then at the same time, to have others judge you and to take it with grace.

Like I said, I have several pastors in my family. The problem isn't the lack of wanting to believe, but a problem of too much logic against any particular religion being correct. I actually tried very hard to believe as a kid, but it just never clicked. That is not to say that I disagree with the general moral principles taught. I just won't pretend to believe. You either do or you don't, pretending wouldn't change what a God would know.

G

This is a forum for discussing IT and computer related issues, not a board for proselytizing your delusion.

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Eating shellfish, wearing clothes made from mixed fibres and questioning whether an old man in a frock has a monopoly on morality can be a sin, so sure, why not?

noise

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2012
Religion is a way to live your life, it has very little to do with the supernatural. Most of the 'big' ones are based on very old books and their interpretation which has a habit of changing over time.

For example; we were burning people as witches not so long ago under the authority of religion.

Today it might be computer games that are the cutting edge of change. Tomorrow, sub-dermal cybernetic implants. In case you can't see it coming ... computer games will suddenly be 'approved' and implants will be a 'sin'.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
Course its a sin

Now excuse me while I go turn some crosses upside down and move my PC on to my new naked chick table.

...... anyone else found they improve their K/D if they chant satanic incantations?

JBB-SaDo

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2012
This is a forum for discussing IT and computer related issues, not a board for proselytizing your delusion.

What do you mean by "this forum"?

This forum *section* is for video games. And as the article is about Video games I thought it would be okay to post in here. I could have posted this in the Beyond the keyboard>News & Leisure>Religion section since it talks about God. but I was more interested in what "gamers" thought.

And no. I did not come here to convert anyone.

G

Pffft semantics.

Telling people you will pray for them, posting links to religious propaganda sites and bible quotes is far beyond asking what are other's opinions on your dear and fluffy's list of special rules are in regards to gaming.

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Playing video games is the only respite I get from handing out crack to school kids and running my white slave trafficking ring so your god is probably ok with it.

That was one of the coolest shooters I ever played! :-D

OP, just a thought but what if everyone, on an instinctive/intuitive level, knows right from wrong. Maybe it boils down to whether or not your actions will cause harm or distress to others. If you believe that God created you, and created you in his image, then don't you have him to thank for this intuitive understanding of right and wrong? If this is the case, maybe you're overthinking what constitutes sin and should trust that intuition? Just a thought anyway :)

andivegito

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
First off, I am not in anyway a man of God, Do I think video gaming is a sin? No. However I do know gaming can become a serious addiction that can lead to other social ills in one's life but that's not always the case.

The thing is that people want something to blame for why things like kids becoming more violent is wrong. Is it gaming's fault? Not really. It's the fact that these days both parents work and expect the school to teach the kids basic morality and reality from fantasy, sorry but the job of the school is to teach kids academically but it's not like the parents want to be leaving there kids alone like that so its not for lack of caring. But video games, well its not a gateway drug, I been gaming since I was like 4 and at 7 I was playing some not meant for the kiddes but I had my father on hand to teach me what was right and wrong and real and not.

Now I'm in college learning a course on Systems Development and I am a serious gamer, I reckon I came out fine despite it... All in all, no I don't think gaming is a sin.