P4 1.8A@1.65v - 60+ degrees?

ian1386

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
I've been trying to get my 1.8A up to 2.4, but in order to do that I have to bump the vcore to 1.625 or 1.65v. The only problem is, whenever I put the vcore to those levels, my cpu will go past 60C under load. I've read that bumping the vcore to 1.65 won't hurt it at all, but I've read that I should keep the temp down lower than 60C. I'm not sure how much higher than 60C it goes (it takes about 3 minutes of 3dmark2001 to get to 60) because I have the motherboard temp monitoring enabled, and whenever it gets past 60C, it will beep, and I stop the tests because I'm scared. I'm just using stock cooling.

So my question is: would it be better to run at 1.575v @ 2.3ghz @ 57C load? or at 1.65v @ 2.4ghz @ 60C+ load? And will those temperatures damage anything?

And also...does this kind of overclocking pose any negative long term effects?

Thanks in advance
- Ian

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, 60 is boarderline, it throttles down at 70C I think, so as long as you keep it below the throttle down temp, I think you'll be fine. Maybe better case cooling would help.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

ian1386

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
My case cooling is fine. Even just for the heck of it I tried opening up the case and blowing a house sized fan on it, and it still crept up past 60 degrees (it did tak a minute or two longer though). I know you say the stock hsf is fine, but do you think maybe I should change mine? Or maybe getting some as3 for it instead of the thermal tape included with it?

I mean...if worse comes to worse I'd run at 2.3 instead of 2.4, but if I CAN go to 2.4 I will.

Also...my mobo (gigabyte 8iexp) only officially supports 266 ddr, but if I get 333 ram and boost the ram multipier to 2.66 X 128fsb, do you think it will run at the 340mhz fine?

Thanks crashman...
...do you work for thg? ......if you don't you should.....
You are the greatest...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could try a slightly better cooler. You might see a slight decrease in temps just by using AS3. And I would consider DDR400 (PC3200) memory instead of DDR333 (PC2700) because at the 4:6 (or 2:3) CPU:RAM bus ratio, you'll be running the memory at DDR354 (177MHz) rather than DDR333 (166MHz).

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>