I'm having difficulty getting black ink only. i've gone into advanced
settings for the printer and clicked on black ink only, yet it is not
computing. True, we're out of colour ink, but should this really effect the
printer's ability to print in black ink only? i hope not. If so, it
sounds like a pretty manipulative peice of technology! we don't need
couloured ink at this point in time. please help
thanks
sam

Yes, most inkjets will refuse to print when the colored ink is empty. It
uses magenta and cyan to make the black look 'blacker'.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"sam clayton via WindowsKB.com" <forum@nospam.WindowsKB.com> wrote in
message news:6a5f3f3576984432a886966247bcd9be@WindowsKB.com...
> I'm having difficulty getting black ink only. i've gone into advanced
> settings for the printer and clicked on black ink only, yet it is not
> computing. True, we're out of colour ink, but should this really effect
> the
> printer's ability to print in black ink only? i hope not. If so, it
> sounds like a pretty manipulative peice of technology! we don't need
> couloured ink at this point in time. please help
> thanks
> sam

Sam

If you were to look in the printer manual, it would state quite clearly that
both cartridges need to be installed and operational..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"sam clayton via WindowsKB.com" <forum@nospam.WindowsKB.com> wrote in
message news:6a5f3f3576984432a886966247bcd9be@WindowsKB.com...
> I'm having difficulty getting black ink only. i've gone into advanced
> settings for the printer and clicked on black ink only, yet it is not
> computing. True, we're out of colour ink, but should this really effect
> the
> printer's ability to print in black ink only? i hope not. If so, it
> sounds like a pretty manipulative peice of technology! we don't need
> couloured ink at this point in time. please help
> thanks
> sam

Most printer require all ink cartridges to be operational before
printing will proceed. Anything else is an error condition. It's not the
technology that is manipulative but rather the implementation. ;-)

So you will have to replace the colour cartridge even if it is not now
required for your purpose.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

"sam clayton via WindowsKB.com" <forum@nospam.WindowsKB.com> wrote in
message news:6a5f3f3576984432a886966247bcd9be@WindowsKB.com...
: I'm having difficulty getting black ink only. i've gone into advanced
: settings for the printer and clicked on black ink only, yet it is not
: computing. True, we're out of colour ink, but should this really
effect the
: printer's ability to print in black ink only? i hope not. If so, it
: sounds like a pretty manipulative peice of technology! we don't need
: couloured ink at this point in time. please help
: thanks
: sam
:
: --