Freebie firewalls: Sygate Personal versus ZoneAlarm - Whic..

I've have only a couple times seen ZoneAlarm (free version) in
operation. It seems to have the nasty habit of popping up alerts for
processes that want to make an Internet connection but it doesn't
identify the process. Instead the user has to open the web interface to
ZoneAlarm's configuration to see which processes have a "?" next to them
and then decide what default behavior to assign. Other than this, is
there any significant difference between these two freebie firewalls?
The freebie Sygate Personal notes in its comparison to its Pro version
that it doesn't support intrustion detection (IDS) and IP spoofing.

Basically I've gotten tired of fighting Windows XP in getting some old
games to run so I created a FAT32 primary partition for Windows ME and
will boot to that and run my old games from there. Compatibility mode
doesn't work, edits of the .cfg files for the games doesn't work, and
I'd have to revert to a really old video driver to get some of the games
to work. I may not even leave the LAN connectoid enabled, but if I need
a connection, like to download a new mission file from a game site or
for Windows Update, I'll still want some protection. I have anti-virus
and firewall software installed on Windows XP and I suspect the
licensing will let me install another copy under Windows ME since it is
still the same "one computer" and only one instance of the software will
be active at a time (Windows XP and Windows ME will be in primary
partitions and I'll use a bootmanager to select which one to boot).

*** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=news=" to Subject.

*Vanguard* wrote:

> I've have only a couple times seen ZoneAlarm (free version) in
> operation. It seems to have the nasty habit of popping up alerts for
> processes that want to make an Internet connection but it doesn't
> identify the process. Instead the user has to open the web interface to
> ZoneAlarm's configuration to see which processes have a "?" next to them
> and then decide what default behavior to assign. Other than this, is
> there any significant difference between these two freebie firewalls?
> The freebie Sygate Personal notes in its comparison to its Pro version
> that it doesn't support intrustion detection (IDS) and IP spoofing.
>
> Basically I've gotten tired of fighting Windows XP in getting some old
> games to run so I created a FAT32 primary partition for Windows ME and
> will boot to that and run my old games from there. Compatibility mode
> doesn't work, edits of the .cfg files for the games doesn't work, and
> I'd have to revert to a really old video driver to get some of the games
> to work. I may not even leave the LAN connectoid enabled, but if I need
> a connection, like to download a new mission file from a game site or
> for Windows Update, I'll still want some protection. I have anti-virus
> and firewall software installed on Windows XP and I suspect the
> licensing will let me install another copy under Windows ME since it is
> still the same "one computer" and only one instance of the software will
> be active at a time (Windows XP and Windows ME will be in primary
> partitions and I'll use a bootmanager to select which one to boot).

Try them both out yourself (not simultaneously) and you decide.

--
Nondeterminism means never having to say you are wrong.

On Mon, 3 May 2004 00:34:09 -0500, "*Vanguard*"
<no-email@post-reply-in-newsgroup.invalid> wrote:
>there any significant difference between these two freebie firewalls?

When I added a firewall (last year) I was also doing the same for
some family computers that I support (older relatives who know how
to turn the computer on, but no idea how to install or configure)
so I need a firewall that would run on my Win2000 computer AND on
an older computer with Win98

Sygate would... ZA would not run on Win98

Sygate seems to work well for me... ZA works well for others

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

On Mon, 03 May 2004 08:59:18 -0700, John Thomas Smith
<jtsmith@pacifier.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 3 May 2004 00:34:09 -0500, "*Vanguard*"
><no-email@post-reply-in-newsgroup.invalid> wrote:
>>there any significant difference between these two freebie firewalls?
>
>When I added a firewall (last year) I was also doing the same for
>some family computers that I support (older relatives who know how
>to turn the computer on, but no idea how to install or configure)
>so I need a firewall that would run on my Win2000 computer AND on
>an older computer with Win98
>
>Sygate would... ZA would not run on Win98

ZA worked well for me in 98, but not in XP. I now use Sygate. There is a
recent Sygate build to stay away from (slow boot). Build 2525 and later
are OK.