printer not printing

Hi, all:

Here is a series of events that led to the printer problem. Originally, I
have a Okidata printer which is working. Then, I got a HP DeskJet 600C,
wihch I attached to the PC. It is also working. Then, I got a scanner,
MiraScan, one of those old scanners. I had a hard time finding the drivers.
But I even got it to working. Since it is also using parallel port, I put my
HP printer back to the parallel port. Well, now, it is not printing any
more. If I print anything, it will submit the job to the print queue and
then it won't print. Then, I uninstall the scanner. I thought the scanner
drivers screwed up the OS. But still nothing will print. Anybody has any
idea how to fix this? I really don't want to re-install XP. By the way, the
OS is XP Home edition.

Thanks for any ideas.

John Wang

XP doesn't support devices that piggy-back on the parallel port.

Ensure that you have totally uninstalled the scanner... since the DJ 600c is
such an old printer it probably doesn't have a USB port.

Go into Device Manager fnd the LPT port (the parallel port) right click and
select Uninstall. Reboot the PC.

Ensure the Print Spooler is started. Then use the Add Printer Wizard to
install the printer... do not connect the printer to the LPT port until it
tells you to do so.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"John Wang" <John @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, all:
>
> Here is a series of events that led to the printer problem. Originally, I
> have a Okidata printer which is working. Then, I got a HP DeskJet 600C,
> wihch I attached to the PC. It is also working. Then, I got a scanner,
> MiraScan, one of those old scanners. I had a hard time finding the
> drivers.
> But I even got it to working. Since it is also using parallel port, I put
> my
> HP printer back to the parallel port. Well, now, it is not printing any
> more. If I print anything, it will submit the job to the print queue and
> then it won't print. Then, I uninstall the scanner. I thought the
> scanner
> drivers screwed up the OS. But still nothing will print. Anybody has any
> idea how to fix this? I really don't want to re-install XP. By the way,
> the
> OS is XP Home edition.
>
> Thanks for any ideas.
>
> John Wang

Thanks. The solution works like a charm.

jw