Sign in with
Your question

I get same FPS on all settings in all games with fairly new components

Last response: in Video Games
September 20, 2012 12:51:28 PM

So this issue has been driving me nuts for a long time now and I really do need massive help. I have mainly been playing Diablo 3, SWTOR, and now primarily Guild Wars 2.

The jist of it is that in all of these games no matter what resolution I put the game on (from 800x600 to my monitor native 2560x1600) with settings on lowest or highest I basically get the same frame rates.

My rig is as follows:
Dell Precision T7400
Xeon X5482 @ 3.2 GHz (2 processors for total of 8 cores)
8 GB memory running at 800 mhz
MSI Radeon 7870 Twin Frozr OC with 2 GB memory
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Nothing is overclocked all at stock speeds

I have done driver sweeper and cleaned up all my drivers that I can think of and installed the newest Catalyst 12.8.

All I want to be able to do is drop my settings or resolution on some of these games and get a little more FPS. For example, it is very frustrating to get 35 to 65 fps when I am solo questing in GW2 on MAX all settings (except shadows/shaders at medium and post processing low) at 2560x1600 and then go into WvW (larger battles) and drop down to 20 to 30 fps. Regardless of what graphic options I use I can't get any more FPS in WvW.

Also, I run task manager on the side and watch AMD Overdrive usage at all times and RARELY does my CPU or GPU usage go up to 60 or 70% and only about 4.5 gb of my memory is being used out of the 8 gb so I don't see what could be my bottleneck.

I booted up CS:Source just to check out what I'm getting and I can get a pretty constant 120 to 200 FPS on max settings and max resolution with VSync off. Not sure if that adds any info.

At this point I have read the internet a million times over, and I am leaning toward a clean install of Windows or just waiting for Windows 8 and installing that and seeing if that solves my issues.

Please, please please any help would be very appreciated. This has been driving me nuts.
September 21, 2012 4:10:43 AM

Me neither lol. I have the same issue in GW2 and in its WvW, just very very bad game optimization.
m
l
September 21, 2012 10:02:26 PM

That's a pretty slow CPU. Considering GW2 can only use 2 threads, it means that it cannot use more than 25% of your CPU power. Try downloading intel burn test and run it with 2 threads. Report the speed results (in gflops).
m
l
September 21, 2012 10:35:46 PM

You are gaming on a workstation. Your CPUs aren't meant for gaming. Your GPU isn't particularly the best choice for gaming on such a high resolution. I'd blame your systems composition.

I doubt a clean install would change anything.
m
l
Related resources
!