could this cool my cpu somehow?

Bohica

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2001
i was using a 230w powersupply on my xp 1700+ and was getting idle temps of 46*c and load temps of 53*c with a swiftech hsf case open. i recently changed cases to a Antec tower with a 350w powersupply and it dropped my temps 2-3*c. is it possible to drop temps with a better quality higher wattage powersupply or is it because i have 1 intake fan in the rear, with a exhaust fan next to it, and a 80mm fan on the bottom of the powersupply. which sits above my cpu pulling heat away and into the powersupply and a exhaust fan on the back of the powersupply. And a intake fan in the front(mounted so that it pulls cool air in onto my harddrives). All that with the case closed. i think its mainly the fact that the powersupply has a fan under it pulling heat out(right above the cpu). i was wondering if it goes beyond that and its the higher wattage of the powersupply keeping my components from struggling for more power. Because this case is closed the 230w powersupply and case was open.

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Probably the bottom intake fan that is reducing your temperatures. PSU's increase in heat as you go up to higher maximum thermal W ratings. But although the new PSU is of a higher W, the bottom intake fan helps enough that it improves thermal performance over the old PSU.

1° of separation between my monopoly and yours. That's business with .NET

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
As cakecake says, the only thing is the extra extraction fan built into the PSU. Other than that its all power supply!

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new">A better place to be</A> :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Not necessarily. Power supplies normally pull more heat out of the case than they put into it, in fact many systems have relied on the power supply alone for case ventilation. How much heat is added by the power supply and how much is removed by the power supply fan depends on many factors of construction, including the amount of air moved by the fan.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A better power supply <i>can</i> reduced CPU temp by providing smoother current closer to the correct voltage. I first noticed the noisy power = heat issues on two motherboards right before the filtering capacitors failed completely. Replacing those resulted in lower temperatures in the affected parts. A quality power supply can help in a similar manner.

But more likely your results are caused by the better air circulation pattern in the new case.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Don't forget that he changed his case as well. A larger case will generally get you lower temperatures, as there is more air inside the case to exchange heat with.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
So a 550W PSU will keep the CPU at nearly the same temperature as a 350W PSU as long as they both have bottom intake fans?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You also have to look at the flow of all the fans, including the power supply fan, and the number and location of the rear fans. These big Chieftec cases that Antec uses have two front fans and two rear fans directly behind the CPU, which makes for the ideal flow of cooling air across the top of the CPU fan.

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Understandably, but actually I should rephrase. You said PSU's take out more heat than they add. So for case temperatures, comparing a 550W and 350W PSU, will both keep the inside of the case at basically the same temperatures?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, if the 350W unit puts in 70W of heat and removes 100W, but the 500W unit puts in 90w and removes 100, the system would run a bit cooler with the 350W. But then if the company considers these things and puts a faster fan in the 500W unit, so that it removes 120W of heat, the 500W unit would be cooler. And to further complicate things, oversized power supplies will be under less strain than undersized supplies, so they may be more efficient, producing less heat! Or the larger parts my creat more resistance, creating more heat! So who's to say which is better without testing every brand at every size on every load amount? LOL! That's why power supply heat is not worth considering, there are too many variables to make any sort of accurate judgement.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Crash,

Could you do some analysis on my case project in reguards to this heat topic. Do you think that the 92mm fan in my 430W PSU will positively or negativly effect the work done by the six (6) 120mm Deltas mounted in the case?

LSHTIAFOMC
((Laughing So Hard That I Almost Fell Off My Chair))

Sorry I just had to post it...

<b>"If I melt dry ice in a bathtub, can I take a bath without getting wet?" - Steven Wright</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you have 3 ins and 3 outs, the additional out of the power supply fan will create slightly lower pressure in the case than outside the case. The only way to be certain as to what affect on temperature this has would be to mount an external power supply and compare (you would still need an unpowered unit in the case to create the same airflow pattern as the power supply minus heat input minus fan output).

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
It was a joke but actually it is a special case.

It is that ALR Revolution Q-SMP case. It has two sides to it.

Out:
2 120mm Deltas
1 92mm from the PSU

In:
2 120mm Deltas

Inside:
2 120mm Deltas

The inside has the air pulling some from the outside but mostly moving it around.

Looking from the front of the case... Right is CPU's and Cards...and left is Drives.

On the left I put a 120mm at the bottom blowing in. That will help supply air to the PSU and across the bottom of the case over to the other side. I have one 120mm in the back left that blows out. So ultimately there is fairly even flow on that side.

Note: The PSU is on the bottom of the case...A monster... It has double redundancy... either way... the fan for it is in the middle back facing out.

BTW the MB is in the center of the case. Mostly there is little open between the sides except for in the very front and underneath the MB and center metal MB backpanel. So picture a big open case and a large metal plate running right down the middle separating the left and right sides.

As for the right side.(card and MB side.) I have one drawing air in across the SCSI adapter and into the channel in the front right. There are 2 120mm fans then blowing air across the two CPU riser cards and one 120mm blowing out.

So like I said...

Out:
2 120mm and one 92mm

In:
2 120mm and some effect from the 2 120s inside moving air around and whatever effect the two in the front of the case blowing onto the CPUs. (There are slits/holes there that I will make larger for better eveneing of the pressures.)

I works fairly well now but I would like to make it as efficient as possible.

So for a diagram or word picture for each side it goes like this.

Left side.(Drives side) Makes an "S" shaped flow pattern.

Air in the bottom via 120mm under the drives toward the PSU. Warm air rises and the 120mm at the top of the left side should vent this out.

PSU will draw whatever it wants out.

Right Side. (CPU/Cards side) Makes an "E" shaped pattern.

one drawing air from the openings in the slots where EISA cards could go. Into the 120mm fan that forces it into the channel at the front of the right side. 2 120mm fans force air over the CPU riser cards and memory and then out the back via another 120mm fan. The PSU will also take some. In the top and out the bottom. This is the best I can do to get maximum airflow across the CPU cards.

So in essence there is 2.5 fans drawing in and 2.5 blowing out. I will have to get pictures to explain it any better. This is the best I can do from work.

So hopefully that helps or just confuses all of you enough...hehe :lol:

Back to you...

<b>"If I melt dry ice in a bathtub, can I take a bath without getting wet?" - Steven Wright</b>

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
It's better to have more coming in than going out than more going out than coming in. At least based on my own case. Now what defines "going out" and "coming in" deals completely with which direction your fans are blowing. I know people have had good success with taking a Chieftech case (the ones with two exhaust fans) and reversing the bottom exhaust fan in the back so it blows inwards. This creates a very efficient suction of air so that the CPU is cooled big time. Anyway, the ultimate goal is maximum new air flowing into the case to get rid of old hot air. So if a low pressure setup gets more air flow (which it probably won't) then that's the best setup.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
We got into the equalized pressure debate back on another thread. I firmly hold to equal is best. The physics behind the concept just makes more sense.

campbellcopeland

Distinguished
May 15, 2002
This might be stating the obvious, but is this system not bloody loud? How serious an overclock have you got going to need this many fans?

Must admit, I would have more cooling (although don't really need it for my system) if my girlfriend didn't complain the computer sounded like a hoover.

Campbell...

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
It is not overclocked...It is just a really, really, really old machine. (Circa 1995-1996) It has three 3GB SCSI HDDs that are just as old and extremely warm if not to say hot. As I posted above the PSU is a double redundant 430W. This means that there are 2 430W PSU inside the single PSU box. (probably 12"W x 8"D x 5-6"H) This was the old-school way of making sure power was even and continual just incase on supply failed. Then you have EDO memory. Not efficient and not cool. I have 4 banks with two simms each and two sets of banks. One for Odd and one for Even. There are two sets of capacitors on the motherboard as well. One for each set of memory. I have a total of 32 stick of EDO memory on the memory riser. Yes I said riser. This is a old machine and it gets worse. It is a dual Pentium 120 setup. They are on risers as well. That is a lot of watts. Older systems needed more juice just to do the same job. The motherboard alone has 4 spots for fan plugs. I have 4 of the 120mm Deltas plugged into it.

So needless to say... Yes it is load but not insanely load. There is a dull hum in the air. Also, I could say that I could heat my livingroom off of this one system alone.

BTW: Do you say "Hoovering" instead of "Vacuuming"? It is just a hunch, but my guess is "hoovering." Are you English, Irish, or Scottish?

campbellcopeland

Distinguished
May 15, 2002
hehehehe - yep, I'm Scottish. I was going to write vacuum cleaner but couldn't quite remember how to spell "vacuum" off the top of my head :)

Strange using the word Hoover now I think about it, since there are so many other companies these days making vacuum cleaners...odd.

Campbell...

P.S. I wouldn't have liked to have paid for your machine when it was new - would have cost a fortune...

Bohica

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2001
my other computers powersupply puts out 1.8v on my thunderbird 1.2ghz. but my antec psu puts out 1.76v on my 1700+ xp. they both run the same temp at idle and load. Volcano 7 on my thunderbird, Swiftech on my 1700+.