Innovatek water cooling kit questions

Bohica

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2001
I want to purchase the innovatek water cooling kit, but i read a post where a few people got the same performance from the water coolers as most people get with heatsink/fans. What i want to know is how many of you achieve temps way way below that of a air cooled cpu? I want temps of 35-40*c cpu load and idle in the 20s. Is that asking too much? Or is that the performace of a Vapochill? getting idle temps of 35c load 45c just isn't that much better then a HS/Fan.

Also there isn't risk of condensation with a water cooled rig is there?

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
<i>I want to purchase the innovatek water cooling kit, but i read a post where a few people got the same performance from the water coolers as most people get with heatsink/fans.</i>

This is misleading. While they can both get the same temperatures, a lot of the temps people report from watercooling are for overclocked CPUs. Also, water cooling scales better than air cooling in its ability to keep CPU temperatures lower than air cooling when overclocking.

<i>What i want to know is how many of you achieve temps way way below that of a air cooled cpu? I want temps of 35-40*c cpu load and idle in the 20s. Is that asking too much? Or is that the performace of a Vapochill? getting idle temps of 35c load 45c just isn't that much better then a HS/Fan.</i>

Your load figure seem reasonable, and 28-30 C idle is not totally unheard of. Most likely with any standard water cooling kit out there you will get around 35 idle and 40 load. Vapochills actually keep CPU's at negative temperatures during operation and come with huge foam boxes to stop condensation. As for the 35 and 45 figures, I'd have to agree with you were it not for the fact that air coolers need loud, high speed fans and very large heatsinks to achieve those temperatures in overclocked conditions. In other words, a water cooling setup is compatible with more motherboards than a humongous heatsink and and is quieter on average.

<i>Also there isn't risk of condensation with a water cooled rig is there?</i>

No risk, since none of the components have the opportunity to fall below ambient temperature. Just watch for leaks and thoroughly test each system before using it for at least 12 hours.

Bohica

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2001
hey thanks cakecake, that was very informative. yeah i didn't think about the fact that they were probably overclocked, in which case those temps are still very good considering they are probably overclocked 200-300mhz or more over the stock clock.