I've never played a dungeon crawler/action rpg where do I start?

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Yep I've never played a Diablo or a Torchlight...For a noob to these types of games what's a good place to start? Jump straight in to the latest like Torchlight 2 or Diablo 3? Or is it worth going back to something older first? Cheers.

Solution

If graphics matter at all, I'd start with Torchlight 1 and or 2. Titan Quest and it's expansion are also good. Diablo 2 has really poor graphics, I can't stand it, it is so bad, but some still like it. Diablo 3 is...
Well you could always start with arguably the first true dungeon crawler - Dungeon Master, which is now freeware at http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/585/Dungeon+Master.html. Circa 1987 so it has very primitive graphics compared to anything today.

However you'd probably be better off with a more recent 'classic' like Neverwinter Nights or Dungeon Siege (the latter which doesn't work in Win7 - you'd have to dual boot into XP). NWN actually has some plot and strategy in it, whereas DS is more like Torchlight - hack & slash.

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

Thanks. NWN looks interesting.

NWN was/is an excellent game, and multitude of expansion packs and mods adds ridiculous amounts of replay value and game time to it. It's definitely a good place to start.

After that you can try Diablo 2 and/or Torchlight (since T2 isn't out yet)

On a side note you can try witcher 1-2.

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

Thanks. I've got Witcher 2..Stunning game but i got stuck on the 3rd act and i wasn't totally engrossed in the story. Perhaps because I didn't play Witcher 1. I also felt the combat was way too hard on 'normal' difficulty but then way too easy on 'easy' difficulty. Very nice game though.

I see the Torchlight demo is available on steam so I'll give that a look.

Last winter Amazon had a sale on Dragon Age Origins ultimate edition, with all the add-in modules included, including Awakening, for under $12 IIRC. About a 14 GB download but worth it IMO. I'd definitely suggest that if they or somebody else has a sale again.. Currently Amazon has a DVD version for under $18. DAO was the 2009 RPG of the year IIRC.

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

Nice one...Yeah my mate really liked Dragon Age 1 and 2. Think I'll check it out...I'm in a dilemma now about whether to play Torchlight 1, 2 or Diablo 3. I do actually own Diablo 3 but just not tried it yet..All the negative comments about it are putting me off but then these are from people who compare it to Diablo 2...I haven't played Diablo 2 so maybe I'll like 3?

Personally I prefer playing games in sequence if I own several releases. Or you can play them at the same time :) - pretty much up to you. TL2 looks pretty good although I haven't bought it yet. DA2, not so good compared to DAO/DAA as they changed the game around too much IMO - would have preferred the same engine and enhanced gameplay but with new missions/lands/characters. I guess they couldn't get the same voice actors or something..

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I'm currently playing torchlight...I picked it up during the steam summer sale and am just now getting around to playing it. It's fairly simple but it gives you the dungeon crawler addiction of getting shiny new loot.

There are a few different styles of RPG's. Torchlight falls into the hack and slash category. It's mostly mindless killing with little story to follow, Torchlight 2 is out, which you may prefer.

You may like more of a true RPG in NWN, as mentioned above. These have much more active story lines, and conversations with NPC's. You also control a party of characters. Dragon Age Origins is the spiritual successor to Neverwinter nights. Mass Effect is a futuristic type of this game, as well as Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. The Witcher and The Witcher 2 is more like this type, except you control a single character, rather than a group and a unique combat system.

There is also the open world, single character type of games that aren't quite as epic in story, and leave you to do what you want, when you want. These games usually have a decent story as well, just not in the same category as NWN or Dragon Age: Origins. The Elder Scrolls are a good example of this. Most recently, The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim is a good one, the sequel to Oblivion and Morrowind. Fallout 3 is a post apocalyptic version of this type of game.

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

Thanks...yeah games like Skyrim and Fallout 3 I've seen and played a bit....It's more like the classic dungeon crawler games like Diablo and Torchlight that I'm intrigued about but not sure where to start..I played and loved mass effect 2 and 3 (though not as much as 2)..it's the style of games like Diablo that i've never played and am wondering if i should jump in and play diablo 3 or should i go for torchlight 1 or 2? Or are they both very good fun for a noob? (btw on NWN sounds good and i will defo check it out).

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

Well are you talking about The Elder Scrolls? I like rpg's i've just not played a diablo style one...i guess i'm just trying to find out if i should play Diablo 3 or Torchlight 1 or 2 (or another game of that style) first...i don't like to start games and quit them..i like going with a recommendation i guess. Cheers.

If graphics matter at all, I'd start with Torchlight 1 and or 2. Titan Quest and it's expansion are also good. Diablo 2 has really poor graphics, I can't stand it, it is so bad, but some still like it. Diablo 3 is good, if you don't expect to play for hundreds of hours, but it definitely has its problems, mostly in the way that you have to use the auction house after you reach Inferno difficulty, and it feels like they were just trying to make a lot of money off you with their real money auction house.

I'm not sure you'd call these dungeon crawlers. I always considered the NWN and DA: Origins to be the dungeon crawlers. That term has been around longer than the Diablo/Torchlight style of games have been around.

I guess if I were to start over, and just play a good hack and slash, of the ones above, I'd choose Titan Quest and it's expansion. In most ways I prefer Diablo 3 to Torchlight 1 & 2, but Torchlight doesn't have the obvious money grubbing aspects to it. You can ignore that, and expect to quit when you reach Inferno.

Solution

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

ah ok i see..sorry for my ignorance on saying 'dungeon crawler'...i just thought the Diablo style games were that..My bad. I'm a pc gamer but just never tried that type of game...yeah i guess i kinda wanna play a game with nice graphics just cause hey! why not!? i don't have a lot of time to go back and play the old classics..(sorry i'm not trying to slag off the classics! I'm not a shallow gamer!!)..So yeah maybe i'll just go for Diablo 3..i'm not the kinda a die hard gamer that will be bothered about playing it till inferno just cause there's so many other PC games i wanna play. I don't have the time to focus on one to obsession. (no kids but i work full time in NYC and I like lots of types of games!!). So Titan Quest..I don't know that one...I'll make a point to check it.. Thank you!!!

Titan Quest and Titan Quest: Immortal Throne isn't as known, but imo, it has the best skill system of any of the games mentioned, and the gear is the best too. Its major drawback is the poor online options, though Torchlight had none. It uses a lot of Greek mythology. The gear doesn't get good until after you play through it a 2nd time. At which point, gear can allow you to play your character in very different ways, due to some of the bonuses on them.

Oh yeah, another game of this type that is pretty good is Sacred 1 & 2.

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

Nice one! I see it's only 14.99 on Steam..think i'll play that and Diablo 3...Oh..until XCOM comes out but that's another thread discussion!!

Make sure you purchase the Titan Quest Gold on Steam. It has both the original and expansion, for only $5 more than each individually.

What I like about the skill system, is they let you choose 2 classes, and you can create great synergies. I like how I kept finding new creative ways to make characters whose two skill sets compliment each other. And as far as the gear goes, you won't notice the really good gear until at least the 2nd time through and the bosses drop most the good gear.

Dungeon Siege had excellent graphics, for its day (10+ years ago IIRC). TL is OK, don't have TL2 yet but the screenshots look impressive.

Usually I'll play an RPG through once or maybe twice, then go download the jiggly boobs addins for my female characters :D.