Craig

Why is it that my default printer is always resetting itself?? I have a good
printer (to print photos, etc) and a not so good printer (to print docs and
drafts), and windows always defaults to the one I want as secondary (the not
so good). How the heck do I keep windows from changing my settings??

This can be actually in the printer drivers themselves.... I've seen HP
printers (in particular) that INSIST on beng the default. Certainly if one
printer becomes unavailable for whatever reason, XP feels insecure and will
default to the one 'next in line'... which of course may not be your idea of
the next in line.

--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Craig" <Craig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Why is it that my default printer is always resetting itself?? I have a
> good
> printer (to print photos, etc) and a not so good printer (to print docs
> and
> drafts), and windows always defaults to the one I want as secondary (the
> not
> so good). How the heck do I keep windows from changing my settings??

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

So how do you get XP not to go to the next in line?

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> This can be actually in the printer drivers themselves.... I've seen HP
> printers (in particular) that INSIST on beng the default. Certainly if one
> printer becomes unavailable for whatever reason, XP feels insecure and will
> default to the one 'next in line'... which of course may not be your idea of
> the next in line.
>

> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Craig" <Craig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Why is it that my default printer is always resetting itself?? I have a
> > good
> > printer (to print photos, etc) and a not so good printer (to print docs
> > and
> > drafts), and windows always defaults to the one I want as secondary (the
> > not
> > so good). How the heck do I keep windows from changing my settings??

You request the printer manufacturer rewrite their drivers. Not an ideal
solution, but the only one.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging