How secure is your Windows Computer?

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
Files.

Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!

Tracker
129 answers Last reply
More about secure windows computer
  1. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    mailbox62001@yahoo.com (mailbox) sent news:47730f14.0405022323.1038b307
    @posting.google.com

    OrgName: US Network Services
    OrgID: USNS
    Address: 2722 Eastlake Ave East
    City: Seattle
    StateProv: WA
    PostalCode: 98102
    Country: US

    NetRange: 66.109.192.0 - 66.109.207.255
    CIDR: 66.109.192.0/20
    NetName: USNS-2-NET
    NetHandle: NET-66-109-192-0-1
    Parent: NET-66-0-0-0-0
    NetType: Direct Allocation
    NameServer: LINUS.KALLBACK.COM
    NameServer: GATE.KALLBACK.COM
    NameServer: BART.KALLBACK.COM
    Comment: ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE
    RegDate: 2001-05-31
    Updated: 2001-10-19

    TechHandle: LI37-ARIN
    TechName: International Telcom, Ltd.
    TechPhone: +1-800-780-9993
    TechEmail: dns-admin@kallback.com

    OrgTechHandle: LI37-ARIN
    OrgTechName: International Telcom, Ltd.
    OrgTechPhone: +1-800-780-9993
    OrgTechEmail: dns-admin@kallback.com

  2. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    On 3 May 2004 00:23:08 -0700, mailbox spoketh

    >Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
    >files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
    >Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
    > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
    >need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
    >Files.
    >
    >Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
    >
    >Tracker

    I'll bite. I don't have a c:\windows folder since I'm running W2K, but
    I'll substitute with c:\winnt. So, here's the list:

    $NTServicePackUninstall$
    $NtUninstallKB823182$
    $NtUninstallKB823559$
    $NtUninstallKB823980$
    $NtUninstallKB824105$
    $NtUninstallQ815021$
    $NtUninstallQ828026$
    $NtUninstallSP2SRP1$
    CSC
    inf
    Installer (interesting folder, lets go in)
    {00010409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
    {00030409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
    {00040409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
    {00100409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
    {00120409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
    {10253A5A-081B-4146-9D76-00547EED4001}
    {47D5D869-FE57-4F2F-A358-83CFAA7B4968}
    19977885.msi
    1D48A315.msi
    27228fc.msi
    2b9db3f8.msi
    2de4bd8a.msi
    Offline Web Pages
    PIF

    Now, for some "hidden" files:
    desktop.ini
    folder.htt
    mpcwin01.tvl
    ShellIconCache
    Winnt.bmp
    Winnt256.bmp

    Well, who knew that the W2K logo's where hidden files and a security
    risk.

    Now, what's your analysis, Debbie? How badly hacked is my computer?

    Lars M. Hansen
    http://www.hansenonline.net
  3. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    "Conor" <conor_turton@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1b0047176b277b5a98a5aa@news.claranews.com...
    > In article <47730f14.0405022323.1038b307@posting.google.com>,
    > mailbox62001@yahoo.com says...
    > > Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
    > > files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
    > > Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
    > > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
    > > need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
    > > Files.
    > >
    > > Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
    > >
    > ROFL...priceless.

    I was thinking almost the same thing, worthless. ;o)
  4. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    "mailbox" <mailbox62001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
    > files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
    > Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
    > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
    > need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
    > Files.
    >
    > Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!

    I don't have a c:\windows directory!
    I have a C:\WINNT. Is that any good?

    When I try to view files in that directory it says my Administrator won't
    allow me. Have I been hacked?

    My other computer has \root \etc \var but no C:? I tried creating a \Windows
    directory but it said I didn't have permission.

    Please help me.........
  5. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    "Mike" <nospam@notherematey.com> wrote in message news:c75c9e$383$1@thorium.cix.co.uk...

    > "mailbox" <mailbox62001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
    > > files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
    > > Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
    > > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
    > > need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
    > > Files.
    > >
    > > Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
    >
    > I don't have a c:\windows directory!

    She said "C:Windows" not "C:\Windows"

    > I have a C:\WINNT. Is that any good?

    Well, if that all ya got - it'll *have* to do I guess. :O)

    > When I try to view files in that directory it says my Administrator won't
    > allow me. Have I been hacked?

    Obviously, if you are not *allowed* to do things. It sounds
    like someone called the "Administrator" owns yer box.

    > My other computer has \root \etc \var but no C:?

    Weird, you really should get that fixed. :0\

    > I tried creating a \Windows
    > directory but it said I didn't have permission.

    On *either* computer!?

    You are *soooo oownnned* dude.

    I have Win98 and *never* have had to ask for permission to
    do stuff. Maybe you should upgrade to Win98?

    > Please help me.........

    Sorry, but you must ask the "Administrator" for permission
    to plead for help in usenet.

    ....or get special dispensation from Fluffy.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    Please don't feed the trollette. I used to think Debbie was just demented or
    painfully stupid, but her presistence has convinced me that nobody could be that
    clueless for that long, and live. So I have concluded that she just continues to
    spew this drivel just to get a reaction. In other words, she's trolling. She
    needs to get a life, or get laid, or something, and we need to stop responding.
    crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
    http://lists.gpick.com
  7. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    "FromTheRafters" <!0000@nomad.fake> wrote in message

    > "Mike" <nospam@notherematey.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "mailbox" <mailbox62001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
    > > > files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
    > > > Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
    > > > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
    > > > need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
    > > > Files.
    > > >
    > > > Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
    > >
    > > I don't have a c:\windows directory!
    >
    > She said "C:Windows" not "C:\Windows"
    >
    > > I have a C:\WINNT. Is that any good?
    >
    > Well, if that all ya got - it'll *have* to do I guess. :O)
    >
    > > When I try to view files in that directory it says my Administrator
    won't
    > > allow me. Have I been hacked?
    >
    > Obviously, if you are not *allowed* to do things. It sounds
    > like someone called the "Administrator" owns yer box.
    >
    > > My other computer has \root \etc \var but no C:?
    >
    > Weird, you really should get that fixed. :0\
    >
    > > I tried creating a \Windows
    > > directory but it said I didn't have permission.
    >
    > On *either* computer!?
    >
    > You are *soooo oownnned* dude.
    >
    > I have Win98 and *never* have had to ask for permission to
    > do stuff. Maybe you should upgrade to Win98?
    >
    > > Please help me.........
    >
    > Sorry, but you must ask the "Administrator" for permission
    > to plead for help in usenet.
    >
    > ...or get special dispensation from Fluffy.

    ;-)))
  8. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    "mailbox" <mailbox62001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
    > files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
    > Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
    > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
    > need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
    > Files.
    >
    > Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
    >
    > Tracker

    OK debbs, how about you tell me, I dont have any "light color" folders
    [hidden to normal people]. I do have:

    Docs && settings
    inetpub
    nvidia
    program files
    windows
    wutemp
    mycnf.cnf

    So, what can you tellme about my machine, theres actually alot you can glean
    from that dir listing, if you arent to thick and know a bit.

    --
    Mimic

    ZGF0YWZsZXhAY2FubmFiaXNtYWlsLmNvbQ== ( www.hidemyemail.net )
    "Alzheimer's, cheaper than rohypnol"
    and those that dont."
  9. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    Mimic wrote:
    > "mailbox" <mailbox62001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
    >>files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
    >>Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
    >> Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
    >>need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
    >>Files.
    >>
    >>Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
    >>
    >>Tracker
    >

    > OK debbs, how about you tell me, I dont have any "light color" folders
    > [hidden to normal people]. I do have:
    >
    > Docs && settings
    > inetpub
    > nvidia
    > program files
    > windows
    > wutemp
    > mycnf.cnf
    >
    > So, what can you tellme about my machine, theres actually alot you can glean
    > from that dir listing, if you arent to thick and know a bit.
    >
    > --
    > Mimic
    >
    > ZGF0YWZsZXhAY2FubmFiaXNtYWlsLmNvbQ== ( www.hidemyemail.net )
    > "Without knowledge you have fear. With fear you create your own nightmares."
    > "Alzheimer's, cheaper than rohypnol"
    > "There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary,
    > and those that dont."
    > "He who controls Google, controls the world".

    OMG. You've been hacked! ;)

    --
    William

    If it don't work, hit it.
    If it still don't work, kick it.
    If it works after that, than it doesn't matter if that helped, what's
    important is it works.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    Taking a moment's reflection, Mike mused:

    | Please help me.........

    You've been hacked/owned. ROFL
  11. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    Lars M. Hansen wrote:
    > On 3 May 2004 00:23:08 -0700, mailbox spoketh
    >

    >>Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
    >>files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
    >>Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
    >>Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
    >>need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
    >>Files.
    >>
    >>Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
    >>
    >>Tracker
    >

    > I'll bite. I don't have a c:\windows folder since I'm running W2K, but
    > I'll substitute with c:\winnt. So, here's the list:
    >
    > $NTServicePackUninstall$
    > $NtUninstallKB823182$
    > $NtUninstallKB823559$
    > $NtUninstallKB823980$
    > $NtUninstallKB824105$
    > $NtUninstallQ815021$
    > $NtUninstallQ828026$
    > $NtUninstallSP2SRP1$
    > CSC
    > inf
    > Installer (interesting folder, lets go in)
    > {00010409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
    > {00030409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
    > {00040409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
    > {00100409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
    > {00120409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
    > {10253A5A-081B-4146-9D76-00547EED4001}
    > {47D5D869-FE57-4F2F-A358-83CFAA7B4968}
    > 19977885.msi
    > 1D48A315.msi
    > 27228fc.msi
    > 2b9db3f8.msi
    > 2de4bd8a.msi
    > Offline Web Pages
    > PIF
    >
    > Now, for some "hidden" files:
    > desktop.ini
    > folder.htt
    > mpcwin01.tvl
    > ShellIconCache
    > Winnt.bmp
    > Winnt256.bmp
    >
    > Well, who knew that the W2K logo's where hidden files and a security
    > risk.
    >
    > Now, what's your analysis, Debbie? How badly hacked is my computer?
    >

    > Lars M. Hansen
    > http://www.hansenonline.net
    > (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

    Hello,
    > I don't have a c:\windows folder since I'm running W2K

    but he said

    > C:Windows Directory

    in Windows 2k winnt is the Windows Folder %windir% ;-)

    Ian.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    Hello,

    >> I don't have a c:\windows directory!
    >> I have a C:\WINNT. Is that any good?

    they are the same thing. In windows NT and 2k the folder is WINNT. In
    95/98/ME/XP and so on the folder is simply WIndows.

    Ian.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    Hi,

    > My other computer has \root \etc \var but no C:?

    Are you sure you are running windows? You may be running linux, Suse,
    redhat etc...

    Ian.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    Hi Conor,

    >> ROFL...priceless.

    Is this your intellectual contribution? I though you might want to add
    something actually worth reading....

    With regards to your comment... I myself ROFL at you.

    Ian.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    Hi,

    >> I was thinking almost the same thing, worthless. ;o)

    See my reply to Conor.

    Ian.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    Hi Tracker,

    whilst your idea to go through your windows directory is not _POINTLESS_
    as other posts may suggest. There are other ways to locate and remove >
    Dangerous code

    Update your antivirus and scan your computer.

    I say it is not pointless if it helps you recognise a suspicious object
    in your windows directory.

    For example, when msblast.exe in system32 requested permission to access
    the internet on desktop firewalls how many people tied this up with the
    fact that their RPC service was failing and their PC was rebooting? This
    type of conversation can help and so shouldn't be knocked.

    Ian.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    "Conor" <conor_turton@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1b008bfa9ab27bda98a5b2@news.claranews.com...
    > In article <c75p78$5d7$1@kermit.esat.net>, flick@iol.ie says...
    > > Hi Tracker,
    > >
    > > whilst your idea to go through your windows directory is not _POINTLESS_
    > > as other posts may suggest. There are other ways to locate and remove >
    > > Dangerous code
    > >
    > > Update your antivirus and scan your computer.
    > >
    > > I say it is not pointless if it helps you recognise a suspicious object
    > > in your windows directory.
    > >
    > How would you know?
    >
    > When you ran your adware/trojan cleaner, did you get rid of Alexa?
    > Quite funny really seeing as its part of the Windows OS. What about
    > CDilla? Unreal Tournament 2003 installs this to use for CD media
    > verification.

    ....and as per Lars' indication that "folder.htt" is there - how
    would one know if it is legit or redlof?
  18. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    "mailbox" entered the consulting room...

    How do you do. Please tell me your problem.

    > Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of
    > our files in this directory visible.

    What does that suggest to you?

    > Tell the group the names of the Folders and Files which show as a
    > light color and let's discuss this.

    I see.

    > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory

    Can you think of a specific example?

    > and but you need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show)
    > all Hidden Files.

    We were discussing you - not me.

    > Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!

    Do computers worry you?

    > Tracker

    I'm not sure I understand you fully.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    On Mon, 3 May 2004 13:03:40 -0400, "\"Crash\" Dummy" <dvader@deathstar.mil>
    wrote:

    >Please don't feed the trollette. I used to think Debbie was just demented or
    >painfully stupid, but her presistence has convinced me that nobody could be that
    >clueless for that long, and live. So I have concluded that she just continues to
    >spew this drivel just to get a reaction. In other words, she's trolling. She
    >needs to get a life, or get laid, or something, and we need to stop responding.

    Have you seen a picture of Debbie? She couldn't get laid in a men's
    prison.

    ---
    LANGUAGE, n. The music with which we charm the serpents guarding
    another's treasure.

    - Ambrose Bierce
  20. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    Conor wrote:

    > In article <c75olb$52r$4@kermit.esat.net>, flick@iol.ie says...
    >
    >>Hi Conor,

    >>Is this your intellectual contribution? I though you might want to add
    >>something actually worth reading....
    >>
    >>With regards to your comment... I myself ROFL at you.

    > worthwhile contributing to.

    Yet you continue...
  21. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    Hello,

    >> Most of us in here had already patched against that vulnerability when
    >> Microsoft issued it...some 3 MONTHS before the first exploit.

    Incorrect, the sheer mass of infections as a result of blaster voids
    your this comment.

    As for the preaching part, my friend look up the word ultracrepidarian
    for your picture.

    Regards, Ian.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    Taking a moment's reflection, CyberDroog mused:

    | Whooooooosh....

    ...didn't even part his hair. ;-)
  23. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    Hello,

    >> ....and as per Lars' indication that "folder.htt" is there - how
    >> would one know if it is legit or redlof?

    Folder.htt is not a part of the redlof VBS virus. It is a target of it.

    Ian.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    Hi Conor,

    >> Well if you want to refuse good advice and just continue to post facts
    >> considered to be "newbie" level then please continue.

    As for your comment about good advice... I'm always open to good advice
    as everybody should be.

    As for the "newbie" level... elaborate... what post(s) do you refer to.

    Appreciate your feedback, albeit somewhat sarcastic...
  25. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    mailbox wrote:
    > Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
    > files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
    > Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
    > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
    > need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
    > Files.
    >
    > Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
    >
    > Tracker

    I love these posts. So do my guests.
    I print them out and stick them in the dunny and use it as novelty
    toilet paper.
    often be heard emanating from the smallest room in the house.
    E.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    Mimic wrote:

    > "mailbox" <mailbox62001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
    >>files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
    >>Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
    >> Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
    >>need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
    >>Files.
    >>
    >>Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
    >>
    >>Tracker
    >

    > OK debbs, how about you tell me, I dont have any "light color" folders
    > [hidden to normal people]. I do have:
    >
    > Docs && settings
    > inetpub
    > nvidia
    > program files
    > windows
    > wutemp
    > mycnf.cnf
    >
    > So, what can you tellme about my machine, theres actually alot you can glean
    > from that dir listing, if you arent to thick and know a bit.
    >
    > --
    > Mimic

    Sadly, what she said about hidden files is almost true, tho more by
    chance than by any knowledge on her part.
    Checking hidden files (actually system files using dir /od /as) in the
    %windir and \system + system32 directories has become a must-do when
    removing cwsearch variants and some of the newer + nastier spyware.
    Many programs *say* they can remove CWSearch, but none,by themselves can.

    A quick how-to on removing CWSearch variants (and possibly even on topic
    for these groups! Precedent!)

    The following cocktail is the *only* way to remove coolwebsearch
    variants properly. Spybot, adaware and spysweeper do NOT remove
    coolwebsearch. running these programs, and setting them to 'block' hides
    the symptoms but does NOT remove the infection.

    Download, install and update Spybot.
    Download, install and update spysweeper.
    Download, install and update Hijackthis and CWshredder from:
    http://209.133.47.200/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe
    http://209.133.47.200/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe
    Download, install and update SpywareBalster from:
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/downloads.html

    1 You will need to kill off whatever is loading spyware wise from the
    registry. Youcould use msconfig, but that doesn't give a full listing.

    2 Do a search for hidden files in the windows directory and
    windows\system32 directory for obvious crud once you have a vague idea
    on when the stuff was installed. dir /as /od *.exe dir /as /od *.dll and
    just dir /od (order by date)
    Check the file properties/do a google on anything you don't recognise or
    has been installed recently. Note down what the files are, the date etc.
    Some of the stuff here is good, results of windowsupdate etc. Use your
    head and make a judgement.

    3 attrib -r -h -s <name.spyware.extension> the delete (if not in
    memory)

    4 Run Hijack this, kill off the obvious spyware, note filenames and
    locations of files to be removed

    5 Reboot into safe mode

    6. run hijackthis again and kill greeblies.

    7. run cwshredder until nothing is found. If settings keep returning
    (such as hosts entries + home page settings) even in safe mode, you will
    have to do more digging to identify files and can them in dos mode.

    8. run spybot and spysweeper to remove junk. They complement each other
    nicely.

    9. run spywareBlaster and remove junk + restore proper registry settings.

    10. reset home page to it's proper location.

    11. *delete any files identified in steps 1, 2 and 4

    12 check the hosts file

    13 check usual spyware/activeX locations

    14 reboot, run windows update.

    Bear in mind if one of the svchost.exe nkvd.us or Vrape variants are on
    the box you will probably have to download on another machine and copy
    to the infected machine.

    *Some variants require you to delete the files is pure DOS mode rather
    than safe mode.

    I have had the unfortunate experience lately of having to removing this
    POS from many machines, and there are always installed files which are
    spyware but are not detected by ANY of the cleaning tools available.

    You might have to install all the tools, get rid of as much stuff as
    possible (the major websearch plugins) before you can update the tools
    at all. Get a coffee and get comfortable ;->
    E.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    In article <47730f14.0405022323.1038b307@posting.google.com>,
    mailbox62001@yahoo.com says...
    > Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
    > files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
    > Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
    > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
    > need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
    > Files.
    >
    > Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
    >
    > Tracker

    Tracker, go back to hamsters. The OS resides in the Windows or WINNT
    folder and since you know nothing about Windows or any other OS, how do
    you expect anyone to believe you. There is nothing dangerous in the
    Windows or WINNT folders, it's the dang operating system root folder!

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
  28. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    Hi,

    as per your post..
    > "folder.htt" is there - how

    I said
    > Folder.htt is not a part of the redlof VBS virus. It is a target of it.

    you said
    > What's the difference?

    Folder.htt is not viral until it is modified by reflof. That is the
    difference.

    Ian.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    "E." <bellyup@thebar.now> wrote in message
> [...]
    >
    > 11. *delete any files identified in steps 1, 2 and 4
    >
    > 12 check the hosts file
    >
    > 13 check usual spyware/activeX locations
    >
    > 14 reboot, run windows update.
    >
    > Bear in mind if one of the svchost.exe nkvd.us or Vrape variants are on
    > the box you will probably have to download on another machine and copy
    > to the infected machine.
    >
    > *Some variants require you to delete the files is pure DOS mode rather
    > than safe mode.
    >
    > I have had the unfortunate experience lately of having to removing this
    > POS from many machines, and there are always installed files which are
    > spyware but are not detected by ANY of the cleaning tools available.
    >
    > You might have to install all the tools, get rid of as much stuff as
    > possible (the major websearch plugins) before you can update the tools
    > at all. Get a coffee and get comfortable ;->

  30. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    ""Crash" Dummy" <dvader@deathstar.mil> wrote in message
    > Please don't feed the trollette. I used to think Debbie was just demented
    or
    > painfully stupid, but her presistence has convinced me that nobody could
    be that
    > clueless for that long, and live. So I have concluded that she just
    continues to
    > spew this drivel just to get a reaction. In other words, she's trolling.
    She
    > needs to get a life, or get laid, or something, and we need to stop
    responding.
    > --
    > Dave "Crash" Dummy - A weapon of mass destruction
    > crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
    > http://lists.gpick.com

    I agree. I imagine "tracker" is a very good, intelligent troll master
    In which case, props to the puppeteer

    --
    Mimic

    ZGF0YWZsZXhAY2FubmFiaXNtYWlsLmNvbQ== ( www.hidemyemail.net )
    "Alzheimer's, cheaper than rohypnol"
    and those that dont."
  31. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    > OMFG
    >
    > --
    > Mimic

    I was being sarcastic....
  32. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    > BTW: The last line stems from a comment I made in personal email to
    > Laura Fredricks, but since the unconscionable bitch chose to publicly
    > use it on the newsgroups, I've restated it here.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Bart

    I get the impression miss fredericks is rather sexy :P dont ask me why
    though heh

    --
    Mimic

    ZGF0YWZsZXhAY2FubmFiaXNtYWlsLmNvbQ== ( www.hidemyemail.net )
    "Alzheimer's, cheaper than rohypnol"
    and those that dont."
  33. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    >> [ bah summink went funky]

    ha ha ha, Funny
  34. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    <dvader@deathstar.mil> wrote:

    >Please don't feed the trollette. I used to think Debbie was just demented or
    >painfully stupid, but her presistence has convinced me that nobody could be that
    >clueless for that long, and live. So I have concluded that she just continues to
    >spew this drivel just to get a reaction. In other words, she's trolling. She
    >needs to get a life, or get laid, or something, and we need to stop responding.

    Couldn't agree more. Someone that clueless would probably get ran over
    by the buldozer in the park.

    "If you ignore it long enough it will go away" :)

    --
    Luka Vuletic
    ICQ: 107081250

    "Bart Bailey" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > In Message-ID:<7qbc90t4umksjbmdddglm1thr7as5bahgp@4ax.com> posted on
    > Mon, 03 May 2004 07:53:20 -0400, Lars M. Hansen wrote:
    >
    > >I'll bite.
    >
    > Careful what you put in your mouth,
    > might not be what it looks like.

    Like when you drop your cigar in the street, you mean?

    Shane

    ---
  36. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    On Tue, 04 May 2004 03:54:50 GMT, Lin spoketh

    >> She's a loony who knows less about computers and security than 17 month
    >> old daughter... If I had any confidence she had a clue about ferrets,
    >> I'd tell her to stick to that...
    >
    >She doesn't know anything about *ferrets*, either. What she knows I could
    >stick in my eye & never know it was there.

    I sort of tried to imply that in my message ...

    Lars M. Hansen
    http://www.hansenonline.net
  37. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    "Mike" <nospam@notherematey.com> wrote in message

    > "mailbox" <mailbox62001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
    > > files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
    > > Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
    > > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
    > > need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
    > > Files.
    > >
    > > Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
    >
    > I don't have a c:\windows directory!
    > I have a C:\WINNT. Is that any good?
    >
    > When I try to view files in that directory it says my Administrator won't
    > allow me. Have I been hacked?
    >
    > My other computer has \root \etc \var

    OMG you are SO hacked.... that SHOULD be /root /etc and /var. One sure sign
    that someone has hacked your *nix box is that they've changed all the /'s to
    \'s ya know.

    ;-)
  38. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    > Actually, when my PC was hacked, I had to send my drive to Debbie and she
    > forwarded it to the FBI after she took care of the hackers. Thanks Debbie!

    Jeez, talk about 'dry wit'!

    Shane

    ---
  39. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    "ParrotRob" <parrotrob@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > "Mike" <nospam@notherematey.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "mailbox" <mailbox62001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
    > > > files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
    > > > Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
    > > > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
    > > > need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
    > > > Files.
    > > >
    > > > Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
    > >
    > > I don't have a c:\windows directory!
    > > I have a C:\WINNT. Is that any good?
    > >
    > > When I try to view files in that directory it says my Administrator
    won't
    > > allow me. Have I been hacked?
    > >
    > > My other computer has \root \etc \var
    >
    > OMG you are SO hacked.... that SHOULD be /root /etc and /var. One sure
    sign
    > that someone has hacked your *nix box is that they've changed all the /'s
    > \'s ya know.

    Bollocks. The Hackers turned my computer upside down.
  40. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    Ugh... 99.99% of people that think they got "hacked" were never hacked at
    all.

    One of the following is more likely your problem:
    1. You opened and email attachment and, as a result, Got a virus.
    2. Have a husband that downloaded porn and, as a result, got a virus.
    3. Have a kid that was trying to dowload a pirated video game and, as a
    result, got a virus.
    4. Got a computer than had something wrong with it, took it back to the
    store and they didn't know how to fix it so they told you that you were
    hacked to get you to go away... and probably charged you a fortune to format
    your hard drive even though it took them all of 10 minuites to do.

    Hackers don't hack normal peoples computers!!! There's no reason to! At
    worst they'll email you a Trojan and then use your computer to hack a REAL
    target like microsofts website or soemthing. Hacking is all about bragging
    rights... there's no bragging rights in hacking "Jane Smiths" computer!
  41. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    :
    : One of the following is more likely your problem:
    : 1. You opened and email attachment and, as a result, Got a virus.
    : 2. Have a husband that downloaded porn and, as a result, got a virus.
    : 3. Have a kid that was trying to dowload a pirated video game and, as
    : a result, got a virus.

    Believable I suppose. But most today get them because of social
    engineering.

    : 4. Got a computer than had something wrong with it, took it back to
    : the store and they didn't know how to fix it so they told you that
    : you were hacked to get you to go away... and probably charged you a
    : fortune to format your hard drive even though it took them all of 10
    : minuites to do.

    Mostly bullshit. one to three hours is the norm now on these larger hard
    drives to reformat.
    Plus most ignorant users that don't know how to fix and only how to be click
    happy
    on their computers. They want the IT to install everything if it is
    reformatted.
    Including the extra software they had. But the norm is they want it fixed
    they don't
    want it reformatted. They want to save their stuff. By the time the IT
    gets it, it
    has multi viruses and Trojans on it, which takes hours to fix.Because the
    owner
    doesn't get it to the shop till the computer is at a crawl, and about dead.

    :
    : Hackers don't hack normal peoples computers!!! There's no reason to!
    : At worst they'll email you a Trojan and then use your computer to
    : hack a REAL target like microsofts website or soemthing. Hacking is
    : all about bragging rights... there's no bragging rights in hacking
    : "Jane Smiths" computer!

    Bullshit They all had to start somewhere.
  42. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    > Believable I suppose. But most today get them because of social
    > engineering.

    You watched the discovery channel and heard the term "Social Engineering" so
    now your flashing it, yet you don't really know what it means... lol

    > Mostly bullshit. one to three hours is the norm now on these larger hard
    > drives to reformat.

    I have a 120Gig hard drive. It took 3 minuites to do a low level format
    about a month ago. The largest hard drives are around 200gig nowadays. There
    are bigger ones... but they are expensive.

    > Plus most ignorant users that don't know how to fix and only how to be
    click
    > happy
    > on their computers. They want the IT to install everything if it is
    > reformatted.
    > Including the extra software they had. But the norm is they want it fixed
    > they don't
    > want it reformatted. They want to save their stuff. By the time the IT
    > gets it, it
    > has multi viruses and Trojans on it, which takes hours to fix.Because the
    > owner
    > doesn't get it to the shop till the computer is at a crawl, and about
    dead.

    If you take a computer that's infected with a trojan to an IT department,
    you'll be lucky if they don't destroy the computer. They will almost
    definately Format the drive and then Ghost the computer.

    > Bullshit They all had to start somewhere.

    They start by hacking offshore porn websites.

    There's no way to "Hack" a computer that has no entry point on it. Are you
    hosting a website? are you running telnet server? How are they supposed to
    log into your computer if there is no way to log in? If YOU wanted to log
    into your own computer from somewhere else, how would you do it? You CANT!
    Because you are running no software that allows remote logins. The only way
    an outside person can hack your computer (assuming it's a standard windows
    PC) is if you get infected by a trojan.
  43. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    Pain Devine wrote:

    > Ugh... 99.99% of people that think they got "hacked" were never hacked at
    > all.
    >
    > One of the following is more likely your problem:
    > 1. You opened and email attachment and, as a result, Got a virus.
    > 2. Have a husband that downloaded porn and, as a result, got a virus.
    > 3. Have a kid that was trying to dowload a pirated video game and, as a
    > result, got a virus.
    > 4. Got a computer than had something wrong with it, took it back to the
    > store and they didn't know how to fix it so they told you that you were
    > hacked to get you to go away... and probably charged you a fortune to format
    > your hard drive even though it took them all of 10 minuites to do.
    >
    > Hackers don't hack normal peoples computers!!! There's no reason to! At
    > worst they'll email you a Trojan and then use your computer to hack a REAL
    > target like microsofts website or soemthing. Hacking is all about bragging
    > rights... there's no bragging rights in hacking "Jane Smiths" computer!

    I've seen a few hundred basic computer users with their computer hacked into,
    bank account funds stolen, identity theft, and when I began the only place I
    ever visited was alt.pets.ferrets and the members there have a big freaking
    mouth. Thanks to them an enormous E-Book has been written and many Corporations
    have been saved from future losses.

    Tracker
  44. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    Tracker" <"snail(valid)mail222000 wrote:
    :
    : I've seen a few hundred basic computer users with their computer
    : hacked into, bank account funds stolen, identity theft, and when I
    : began the only place I ever visited was alt.pets.ferrets and the
    : members there have a big freaking mouth. Thanks to them an enormous
    : E-Book has been written and many Corporations have been saved from
    : future losses.
    :
    : Tracker

    As long as I have been posting on Usenet I haven't seen this.
    I wont say it can't happen.
    But the norm from what I hear is that they hack each other.
    or ask for permission.
    The penalty for hacking is worse today than it was years ago.
    Mostly social engineering is how a Identity is stolen.
    same goes for bank info etc. Maybe you gave them a reason
    to go after you who knows. Judging from your post, I suppose
    it was the case. I can't take the word of someone who
    doesnt even know what time it is. A person of skill can fix their clock
    settings.

    ---
    Running XP PRO &
    Linux Mandrake 9.1
    CHOICE IS GOOD!
  45. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    You wrote an e-book regarding hackers? But from everything I've read that
    you've posted in here... you know less about computers than my 80 year old
    grandmother who still thinks the movie house is "the devil"

    Whats the name of your "e-book" and where can we get it? What corporations
    have been "saved"? Who were the hundreds that have been hacked in this
    forum? How would they steal your identity based on newsgroup posts? How
    would they steal your bank account information if it's not stored anywhere
    on your computer?

    If it's so easy to hack people, hack me. I dare you.
  46. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    --------
    WARNING: Anything posted by any person called "Tracker" should be
    ignored. This person knows nothing of computer and network security, and
    her advice is more likely to damage or destroy your computer than
    actually remedy any issue you may have.
    --------

    Lars M. Hansen
    http://www.hansenonline.net
  47. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    --
    Laura Fredericks
    PGP key ID - DH/DSS 2048/1024: 0xC753039A

    Usenet Flamewars:
    http://www.queenofcyberspace.com/usenet/

    Remove CLOTHES to reply.
  48. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    > There's no way to "Hack" a computer that has no entry point on it. Are you
    > hosting a website? are you running telnet server? How are they supposed to
    > log into your computer if there is no way to log in? If YOU wanted to log
    > into your own computer from somewhere else, how would you do it? You CANT!
    > Because you are running no software that allows remote logins. The only way
    > an outside person can hack your computer (assuming it's a standard windows
    > PC) is if you get infected by a trojan.

    Which can be done eploiting one of many windows XP unpatch
    vulneribilities, if the computer isn't armored with a layer defense.
    Look at how easy it was for people to get Blaster, and then Sasser. All
    a hacker really needs to do is find a similar exploiting method that
    hasn't been patched yet, and write a script to exploit the method so
    that he/she can infest the target PC with a backdoor proggie or a
    keylogger, and believe it or not, there is an incentive to hack private
    citizens. 1) use as proxy for spamming-->$$. 2) through key-logging,
    someone could get a hold of bank PWs and possibly even credit card
    numbers. However, as someone said earlier in this post, not many people
    who say they've been hacked have really been hacked.

    --
    William

    If it don't work, hit it.
    If it still don't work, kick it.
    If it works after that, than it doesn't matter if that helped, what's
    important is it works.
  49. Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

    In article <10ar2h8lc4v250@corp.supernews.com>, noway@jose.com says...

    >Hackers don't hack normal peoples computers!!! There's no reason to! At
    >worst they'll email you a Trojan and then use your computer to hack a REAL
    >target like microsofts website or soemthing. Hacking is all about bragging
    >rights... there's no bragging rights in hacking "Jane Smiths" computer!

    WRONG! Anyone with a high speed Internet connection is a potential target to
    install a Spam engine complete with back door. The back door is usually
    installed via a virus, and then the Spam engine is added via the backdoor. A
    good hacker will lock the back door when he/she leaves so that no one else can
    use it.

Firewalls Security Computers Networking