How secure is your Windows Computer?

Last response: in Networking
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2004 4:23:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
Files.

Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!

Tracker
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2004 11:35:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

mailbox62001@yahoo.com (mailbox) sent news:47730f14.0405022323.1038b307
@posting.google.com

OrgName: US Network Services
OrgID: USNS
Address: 2722 Eastlake Ave East
City: Seattle
StateProv: WA
PostalCode: 98102
Country: US

NetRange: 66.109.192.0 - 66.109.207.255
CIDR: 66.109.192.0/20
NetName: USNS-2-NET
NetHandle: NET-66-109-192-0-1
Parent: NET-66-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Allocation
NameServer: LINUS.KALLBACK.COM
NameServer: GATE.KALLBACK.COM
NameServer: BART.KALLBACK.COM
Comment: ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE
RegDate: 2001-05-31
Updated: 2001-10-19

TechHandle: LI37-ARIN
TechName: International Telcom, Ltd.
TechPhone: +1-800-780-9993
TechEmail: dns-admin@kallback.com

OrgTechHandle: LI37-ARIN
OrgTechName: International Telcom, Ltd.
OrgTechPhone: +1-800-780-9993
OrgTechEmail: dns-admin@kallback.com

a b 8 Security
May 3, 2004 11:53:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

On 3 May 2004 00:23:08 -0700, mailbox spoketh

>Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
>files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
>Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
> Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
>need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
>Files.
>
>Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
>
>Tracker

I'll bite. I don't have a c:\windows folder since I'm running W2K, but
I'll substitute with c:\winnt. So, here's the list:

$NTServicePackUninstall$
$NtUninstallKB823182$
$NtUninstallKB823559$
$NtUninstallKB823980$
$NtUninstallKB824105$
$NtUninstallQ815021$
$NtUninstallQ828026$
$NtUninstallSP2SRP1$
CSC
inf
Installer (interesting folder, lets go in)
{00010409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
{00030409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
{00040409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
{00100409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
{00120409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
{10253A5A-081B-4146-9D76-00547EED4001}
{47D5D869-FE57-4F2F-A358-83CFAA7B4968}
19977885.msi
1D48A315.msi
27228fc.msi
2b9db3f8.msi
2de4bd8a.msi
Offline Web Pages
PIF

Now, for some "hidden" files:
desktop.ini
folder.htt
mpcwin01.tvl
ShellIconCache
Winnt.bmp
Winnt256.bmp

Well, who knew that the W2K logo's where hidden files and a security
risk.

Now, what's your analysis, Debbie? How badly hacked is my computer?

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2004 3:08:02 PM

"Conor" <conor_turton@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1b0047176b277b5a98a5aa@news.claranews.com...
> In article <47730f14.0405022323.1038b307@posting.google.com>,
> mailbox62001@yahoo.com says...
> > Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
> > files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
> > Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
> > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
> > need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
> > Files.
> >
> > Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
> >
> ROFL...priceless.

I was thinking almost the same thing, worthless. ;o)
May 3, 2004 5:00:45 PM

"mailbox" <mailbox62001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
> files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
> Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
> Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
> need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
> Files.
>
> Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!

I don't have a c:\windows directory!
I have a C:\WINNT. Is that any good?

When I try to view files in that directory it says my Administrator won't
allow me. Have I been hacked?

My other computer has \root \etc \var but no C:? I tried creating a \Windows
directory but it said I didn't have permission.

Please help me.........
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2004 5:00:46 PM

"Mike" <nospam@notherematey.com> wrote in message news:c75c9e$383$1@thorium.cix.co.uk...

> "mailbox" <mailbox62001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
> > files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
> > Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
> > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
> > need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
> > Files.
> >
> > Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
>
> I don't have a c:\windows directory!

She said "C:Windows" not "C:\Windows"

> I have a C:\WINNT. Is that any good?

Well, if that all ya got - it'll *have* to do I guess. :o )

> When I try to view files in that directory it says my Administrator won't
> allow me. Have I been hacked?

Obviously, if you are not *allowed* to do things. It sounds
like someone called the "Administrator" owns yer box.

> My other computer has \root \etc \var but no C:?

Weird, you really should get that fixed. :0\

> I tried creating a \Windows
> directory but it said I didn't have permission.

On *either* computer!?

You are *soooo oownnned* dude.

I have Win98 and *never* have had to ask for permission to
do stuff. Maybe you should upgrade to Win98?

> Please help me.........

Sorry, but you must ask the "Administrator" for permission
to plead for help in usenet.

....or get special dispensation from Fluffy.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2004 5:03:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

Please don't feed the trollette. I used to think Debbie was just demented or
painfully stupid, but her presistence has convinced me that nobody could be that
clueless for that long, and live. So I have concluded that she just continues to
spew this drivel just to get a reaction. In other words, she's trolling. She
needs to get a life, or get laid, or something, and we need to stop responding.
crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
http://lists.gpick.com
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2004 5:46:22 PM

"FromTheRafters" <!0000@nomad.fake> wrote in message

> "Mike" <nospam@notherematey.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "mailbox" <mailbox62001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
> > > files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
> > > Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
> > > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
> > > need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
> > > Files.
> > >
> > > Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
> >
> > I don't have a c:\windows directory!
>
> She said "C:Windows" not "C:\Windows"
>
> > I have a C:\WINNT. Is that any good?
>
> Well, if that all ya got - it'll *have* to do I guess. :o )
>
> > When I try to view files in that directory it says my Administrator
won't
> > allow me. Have I been hacked?
>
> Obviously, if you are not *allowed* to do things. It sounds
> like someone called the "Administrator" owns yer box.
>
> > My other computer has \root \etc \var but no C:?
>
> Weird, you really should get that fixed. :0\
>
> > I tried creating a \Windows
> > directory but it said I didn't have permission.
>
> On *either* computer!?
>
> You are *soooo oownnned* dude.
>
> I have Win98 and *never* have had to ask for permission to
> do stuff. Maybe you should upgrade to Win98?
>
> > Please help me.........
>
> Sorry, but you must ask the "Administrator" for permission
> to plead for help in usenet.
>
> ...or get special dispensation from Fluffy.

;-)))
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2004 6:51:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

"mailbox" <mailbox62001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
> files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
> Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
> Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
> need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
> Files.
>
> Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
>
> Tracker

OK debbs, how about you tell me, I dont have any "light color" folders
[hidden to normal people]. I do have:

Docs && settings
inetpub
nvidia
program files
windows
wutemp
mycnf.cnf

So, what can you tellme about my machine, theres actually alot you can glean
from that dir listing, if you arent to thick and know a bit.

--
Mimic

ZGF0YWZsZXhAY2FubmFiaXNtYWlsLmNvbQ== ( www.hidemyemail.net )
"Alzheimer's, cheaper than rohypnol"
and those that dont."
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2004 6:51:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

Mimic wrote:
> "mailbox" <mailbox62001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
>>files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
>>Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
>> Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
>>need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
>>Files.
>>
>>Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
>>
>>Tracker
>

> OK debbs, how about you tell me, I dont have any "light color" folders
> [hidden to normal people]. I do have:
>
> Docs && settings
> inetpub
> nvidia
> program files
> windows
> wutemp
> mycnf.cnf
>
> So, what can you tellme about my machine, theres actually alot you can glean
> from that dir listing, if you arent to thick and know a bit.
>
> --
> Mimic
>
> ZGF0YWZsZXhAY2FubmFiaXNtYWlsLmNvbQ== ( www.hidemyemail.net )
> "Without knowledge you have fear. With fear you create your own nightmares."
> "Alzheimer's, cheaper than rohypnol"
> "There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary,
> and those that dont."
> "He who controls Google, controls the world".

OMG. You've been hacked! ;)

--
William

If it don't work, hit it.
If it still don't work, kick it.
If it works after that, than it doesn't matter if that helped, what's
important is it works.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2004 7:38:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

Taking a moment's reflection, Mike mused:

| Please help me.........

You've been hacked/owned. ROFL
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2004 8:19:05 PM

Lars M. Hansen wrote:
> On 3 May 2004 00:23:08 -0700, mailbox spoketh
>

>>Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
>>files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
>>Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
>>Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
>>need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
>>Files.
>>
>>Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
>>
>>Tracker
>

> I'll bite. I don't have a c:\windows folder since I'm running W2K, but
> I'll substitute with c:\winnt. So, here's the list:
>
> $NTServicePackUninstall$
> $NtUninstallKB823182$
> $NtUninstallKB823559$
> $NtUninstallKB823980$
> $NtUninstallKB824105$
> $NtUninstallQ815021$
> $NtUninstallQ828026$
> $NtUninstallSP2SRP1$
> CSC
> inf
> Installer (interesting folder, lets go in)
> {00010409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
> {00030409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
> {00040409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
> {00100409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
> {00120409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
> {10253A5A-081B-4146-9D76-00547EED4001}
> {47D5D869-FE57-4F2F-A358-83CFAA7B4968}
> 19977885.msi
> 1D48A315.msi
> 27228fc.msi
> 2b9db3f8.msi
> 2de4bd8a.msi
> Offline Web Pages
> PIF
>
> Now, for some "hidden" files:
> desktop.ini
> folder.htt
> mpcwin01.tvl
> ShellIconCache
> Winnt.bmp
> Winnt256.bmp
>
> Well, who knew that the W2K logo's where hidden files and a security
> risk.
>
> Now, what's your analysis, Debbie? How badly hacked is my computer?
>

> Lars M. Hansen
> http://www.hansenonline.net
> (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Hello,
> I don't have a c:\windows folder since I'm running W2K

but he said

> C:Windows Directory

in Windows 2k winnt is the Windows Folder %windir% ;-)

Ian.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2004 8:20:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

Hello,

>> I don't have a c:\windows directory!
>> I have a C:\WINNT. Is that any good?

they are the same thing. In windows NT and 2k the folder is WINNT. In
95/98/ME/XP and so on the folder is simply WIndows.

Ian.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2004 8:22:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

Hi,

> My other computer has \root \etc \var but no C:?

Are you sure you are running windows? You may be running linux, Suse,
redhat etc...

Ian.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2004 8:25:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

Hi Conor,

>> ROFL...priceless.

Is this your intellectual contribution? I though you might want to add
something actually worth reading....

With regards to your comment... I myself ROFL at you.

Ian.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2004 8:26:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

Hi,

>> I was thinking almost the same thing, worthless. ;o)

See my reply to Conor.

Ian.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2004 8:35:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

Hi Tracker,

whilst your idea to go through your windows directory is not _POINTLESS_
as other posts may suggest. There are other ways to locate and remove >
Dangerous code

Update your antivirus and scan your computer.

I say it is not pointless if it helps you recognise a suspicious object
in your windows directory.

For example, when msblast.exe in system32 requested permission to access
the internet on desktop firewalls how many people tied this up with the
fact that their RPC service was failing and their PC was rebooting? This
type of conversation can help and so shouldn't be knocked.

Ian.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2004 8:35:06 PM

"Conor" <conor_turton@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1b008bfa9ab27bda98a5b2@news.claranews.com...
> In article <c75p78$5d7$1@kermit.esat.net>, flick@iol.ie says...
> > Hi Tracker,
> >
> > whilst your idea to go through your windows directory is not _POINTLESS_
> > as other posts may suggest. There are other ways to locate and remove >
> > Dangerous code
> >
> > Update your antivirus and scan your computer.
> >
> > I say it is not pointless if it helps you recognise a suspicious object
> > in your windows directory.
> >
> How would you know?
>
> When you ran your adware/trojan cleaner, did you get rid of Alexa?
> Quite funny really seeing as its part of the Windows OS. What about
> CDilla? Unreal Tournament 2003 installs this to use for CD media
> verification.

....and as per Lars' indication that "folder.htt" is there - how
would one know if it is legit or redlof?
May 3, 2004 9:11:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

"mailbox" entered the consulting room...

How do you do. Please tell me your problem.

> Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of
> our files in this directory visible.

What does that suggest to you?

> Tell the group the names of the Folders and Files which show as a
> light color and let's discuss this.

I see.

> Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory

Can you think of a specific example?

> and but you need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show)
> all Hidden Files.

We were discussing you - not me.

> Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!

Do computers worry you?

> Tracker

I'm not sure I understand you fully.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2004 9:38:50 PM

On Mon, 3 May 2004 13:03:40 -0400, "\"Crash\" Dummy" <dvader@deathstar.mil>
wrote:

>Please don't feed the trollette. I used to think Debbie was just demented or
>painfully stupid, but her presistence has convinced me that nobody could be that
>clueless for that long, and live. So I have concluded that she just continues to
>spew this drivel just to get a reaction. In other words, she's trolling. She
>needs to get a life, or get laid, or something, and we need to stop responding.

Have you seen a picture of Debbie? She couldn't get laid in a men's
prison.

---
LANGUAGE, n. The music with which we charm the serpents guarding
another's treasure.

- Ambrose Bierce
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2004 10:09:56 PM

Conor wrote:

> In article <c75olb$52r$4@kermit.esat.net>, flick@iol.ie says...
>
>>Hi Conor,

>>Is this your intellectual contribution? I though you might want to add
>>something actually worth reading....
>>
>>With regards to your comment... I myself ROFL at you.

> worthwhile contributing to.

Yet you continue...
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2004 10:16:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

Hello,

>> Most of us in here had already patched against that vulnerability when
>> Microsoft issued it...some 3 MONTHS before the first exploit.

Incorrect, the sheer mass of infections as a result of blaster voids
your this comment.

As for the preaching part, my friend look up the word ultracrepidarian
for your picture.

Regards, Ian.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2004 10:50:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

Taking a moment's reflection, CyberDroog mused:

| Whooooooosh....

...didn't even part his hair. ;-)
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2004 11:11:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

Hello,

>> ....and as per Lars' indication that "folder.htt" is there - how
>> would one know if it is legit or redlof?

Folder.htt is not a part of the redlof VBS virus. It is a target of it.

Ian.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2004 11:53:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

Hi Conor,

>> Well if you want to refuse good advice and just continue to post facts
>> considered to be "newbie" level then please continue.

As for your comment about good advice... I'm always open to good advice
as everybody should be.

As for the "newbie" level... elaborate... what post(s) do you refer to.

Appreciate your feedback, albeit somewhat sarcastic...
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 4, 2004 12:39:33 AM

mailbox wrote:
> Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
> files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
> Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
> Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
> need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
> Files.
>
> Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
>
> Tracker

I love these posts. So do my guests.
I print them out and stick them in the dunny and use it as novelty
toilet paper.
often be heard emanating from the smallest room in the house.
E.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 4, 2004 12:54:29 AM

Mimic wrote:

> "mailbox" <mailbox62001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
>>files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
>>Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
>> Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
>>need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
>>Files.
>>
>>Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
>>
>>Tracker
>

> OK debbs, how about you tell me, I dont have any "light color" folders
> [hidden to normal people]. I do have:
>
> Docs && settings
> inetpub
> nvidia
> program files
> windows
> wutemp
> mycnf.cnf
>
> So, what can you tellme about my machine, theres actually alot you can glean
> from that dir listing, if you arent to thick and know a bit.
>
> --
> Mimic

Sadly, what she said about hidden files is almost true, tho more by
chance than by any knowledge on her part.
Checking hidden files (actually system files using dir /od /as) in the
%windir and \system + system32 directories has become a must-do when
removing cwsearch variants and some of the newer + nastier spyware.
Many programs *say* they can remove CWSearch, but none,by themselves can.

A quick how-to on removing CWSearch variants (and possibly even on topic
for these groups! Precedent!)

The following cocktail is the *only* way to remove coolwebsearch
variants properly. Spybot, adaware and spysweeper do NOT remove
coolwebsearch. running these programs, and setting them to 'block' hides
the symptoms but does NOT remove the infection.

Download, install and update Spybot.
Download, install and update spysweeper.
Download, install and update Hijackthis and CWshredder from:
http://209.133.47.200/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe
http://209.133.47.200/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe
Download, install and update SpywareBalster from:
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/downloads.html

1 You will need to kill off whatever is loading spyware wise from the
registry. Youcould use msconfig, but that doesn't give a full listing.

2 Do a search for hidden files in the windows directory and
windows\system32 directory for obvious crud once you have a vague idea
on when the stuff was installed. dir /as /od *.exe dir /as /od *.dll and
just dir /od (order by date)
Check the file properties/do a google on anything you don't recognise or
has been installed recently. Note down what the files are, the date etc.
Some of the stuff here is good, results of windowsupdate etc. Use your
head and make a judgement.

3 attrib -r -h -s <name.spyware.extension> the delete (if not in
memory)

4 Run Hijack this, kill off the obvious spyware, note filenames and
locations of files to be removed

5 Reboot into safe mode

6. run hijackthis again and kill greeblies.

7. run cwshredder until nothing is found. If settings keep returning
(such as hosts entries + home page settings) even in safe mode, you will
have to do more digging to identify files and can them in dos mode.

8. run spybot and spysweeper to remove junk. They complement each other
nicely.

9. run spywareBlaster and remove junk + restore proper registry settings.

10. reset home page to it's proper location.

11. *delete any files identified in steps 1, 2 and 4

12 check the hosts file

13 check usual spyware/activeX locations

14 reboot, run windows update.

Bear in mind if one of the svchost.exe nkvd.us or Vrape variants are on
the box you will probably have to download on another machine and copy
to the infected machine.

*Some variants require you to delete the files is pure DOS mode rather
than safe mode.

I have had the unfortunate experience lately of having to removing this
POS from many machines, and there are always installed files which are
spyware but are not detected by ANY of the cleaning tools available.

You might have to install all the tools, get rid of as much stuff as
possible (the major websearch plugins) before you can update the tools
at all. Get a coffee and get comfortable ;->
E.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 4, 2004 1:46:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

In article <47730f14.0405022323.1038b307@posting.google.com>,
mailbox62001@yahoo.com says...
> Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
> files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
> Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
> Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
> need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
> Files.
>
> Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
>
> Tracker

Tracker, go back to hamsters. The OS resides in the Windows or WINNT
folder and since you know nothing about Windows or any other OS, how do
you expect anyone to believe you. There is nothing dangerous in the
Windows or WINNT folders, it's the dang operating system root folder!

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 4, 2004 3:46:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

Hi,

as per your post..
> "folder.htt" is there - how

I said
> Folder.htt is not a part of the redlof VBS virus. It is a target of it.

you said
> What's the difference?

Folder.htt is not viral until it is modified by reflof. That is the
difference.

Ian.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 4, 2004 4:23:09 AM

"E." <bellyup@thebar.now> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> 11. *delete any files identified in steps 1, 2 and 4
>
> 12 check the hosts file
>
> 13 check usual spyware/activeX locations
>
> 14 reboot, run windows update.
>
> Bear in mind if one of the svchost.exe nkvd.us or Vrape variants are on
> the box you will probably have to download on another machine and copy
> to the infected machine.
>
> *Some variants require you to delete the files is pure DOS mode rather
> than safe mode.
>
> I have had the unfortunate experience lately of having to removing this
> POS from many machines, and there are always installed files which are
> spyware but are not detected by ANY of the cleaning tools available.
>
> You might have to install all the tools, get rid of as much stuff as
> possible (the major websearch plugins) before you can update the tools
> at all. Get a coffee and get comfortable ;->

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 4, 2004 4:30:41 AM

""Crash" Dummy" <dvader@deathstar.mil> wrote in message
> Please don't feed the trollette. I used to think Debbie was just demented
or
> painfully stupid, but her presistence has convinced me that nobody could
be that
> clueless for that long, and live. So I have concluded that she just
continues to
> spew this drivel just to get a reaction. In other words, she's trolling.
She
> needs to get a life, or get laid, or something, and we need to stop
responding.
> --
> Dave "Crash" Dummy - A weapon of mass destruction
> crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
> http://lists.gpick.com

I agree. I imagine "tracker" is a very good, intelligent troll master
In which case, props to the puppeteer

--
Mimic

ZGF0YWZsZXhAY2FubmFiaXNtYWlsLmNvbQ== ( www.hidemyemail.net )
"Alzheimer's, cheaper than rohypnol"
and those that dont."
a b 8 Security
May 4, 2004 4:31:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

> OMFG
>
> --
> Mimic

I was being sarcastic....
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 4, 2004 4:32:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

> BTW: The last line stems from a comment I made in personal email to
> Laura Fredricks, but since the unconscionable bitch chose to publicly
> use it on the newsgroups, I've restated it here.
>
> --
>
> Bart

I get the impression miss fredericks is rather sexy :p  dont ask me why
though heh

--
Mimic

ZGF0YWZsZXhAY2FubmFiaXNtYWlsLmNvbQ== ( www.hidemyemail.net )
"Alzheimer's, cheaper than rohypnol"
and those that dont."
a b 8 Security
May 4, 2004 4:32:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

>> [ bah summink went funky]

ha ha ha, Funny
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 4, 2004 6:35:15 AM

<dvader@deathstar.mil> wrote:

>Please don't feed the trollette. I used to think Debbie was just demented or
>painfully stupid, but her presistence has convinced me that nobody could be that
>clueless for that long, and live. So I have concluded that she just continues to
>spew this drivel just to get a reaction. In other words, she's trolling. She
>needs to get a life, or get laid, or something, and we need to stop responding.

Couldn't agree more. Someone that clueless would probably get ran over
by the buldozer in the park.

"If you ignore it long enough it will go away" :)

--
Luka Vuletic
ICQ: 107081250

"Bart Bailey" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
> In Message-ID:<7qbc90t4umksjbmdddglm1thr7as5bahgp@4ax.com> posted on
> Mon, 03 May 2004 07:53:20 -0400, Lars M. Hansen wrote:
>
> >I'll bite.
>
> Careful what you put in your mouth,
> might not be what it looks like.

Like when you drop your cigar in the street, you mean?

Shane

---
a b 8 Security
May 4, 2004 10:14:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

On Tue, 04 May 2004 03:54:50 GMT, Lin spoketh

>> She's a loony who knows less about computers and security than 17 month
>> old daughter... If I had any confidence she had a clue about ferrets,
>> I'd tell her to stick to that...
>
>She doesn't know anything about *ferrets*, either. What she knows I could
>stick in my eye & never know it was there.

I sort of tried to imply that in my message ...

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
a b 8 Security
May 5, 2004 6:55:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

"Mike" <nospam@notherematey.com> wrote in message

> "mailbox" <mailbox62001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
> > files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
> > Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
> > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
> > need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
> > Files.
> >
> > Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
>
> I don't have a c:\windows directory!
> I have a C:\WINNT. Is that any good?
>
> When I try to view files in that directory it says my Administrator won't
> allow me. Have I been hacked?
>
> My other computer has \root \etc \var

OMG you are SO hacked.... that SHOULD be /root /etc and /var. One sure sign
that someone has hacked your *nix box is that they've changed all the /'s to
\'s ya know.

;-)
May 5, 2004 1:27:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

> Actually, when my PC was hacked, I had to send my drive to Debbie and she
> forwarded it to the FBI after she took care of the hackers. Thanks Debbie!

Jeez, talk about 'dry wit'!

Shane

---
May 5, 2004 10:08:43 PM

"ParrotRob" <parrotrob@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Mike" <nospam@notherematey.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "mailbox" <mailbox62001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
> > > files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
> > > Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
> > > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
> > > need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
> > > Files.
> > >
> > > Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
> >
> > I don't have a c:\windows directory!
> > I have a C:\WINNT. Is that any good?
> >
> > When I try to view files in that directory it says my Administrator
won't
> > allow me. Have I been hacked?
> >
> > My other computer has \root \etc \var
>
> OMG you are SO hacked.... that SHOULD be /root /etc and /var. One sure
sign
> that someone has hacked your *nix box is that they've changed all the /'s
> \'s ya know.

Bollocks. The Hackers turned my computer upside down.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 21, 2004 3:48:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

Ugh... 99.99% of people that think they got "hacked" were never hacked at
all.

One of the following is more likely your problem:
1. You opened and email attachment and, as a result, Got a virus.
2. Have a husband that downloaded porn and, as a result, got a virus.
3. Have a kid that was trying to dowload a pirated video game and, as a
result, got a virus.
4. Got a computer than had something wrong with it, took it back to the
store and they didn't know how to fix it so they told you that you were
hacked to get you to go away... and probably charged you a fortune to format
your hard drive even though it took them all of 10 minuites to do.

Hackers don't hack normal peoples computers!!! There's no reason to! At
worst they'll email you a Trojan and then use your computer to hack a REAL
target like microsofts website or soemthing. Hacking is all about bragging
rights... there's no bragging rights in hacking "Jane Smiths" computer!
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 21, 2004 11:34:22 AM

:
: One of the following is more likely your problem:
: 1. You opened and email attachment and, as a result, Got a virus.
: 2. Have a husband that downloaded porn and, as a result, got a virus.
: 3. Have a kid that was trying to dowload a pirated video game and, as
: a result, got a virus.

Believable I suppose. But most today get them because of social
engineering.

: 4. Got a computer than had something wrong with it, took it back to
: the store and they didn't know how to fix it so they told you that
: you were hacked to get you to go away... and probably charged you a
: fortune to format your hard drive even though it took them all of 10
: minuites to do.

Mostly bullshit. one to three hours is the norm now on these larger hard
drives to reformat.
Plus most ignorant users that don't know how to fix and only how to be click
happy
on their computers. They want the IT to install everything if it is
reformatted.
Including the extra software they had. But the norm is they want it fixed
they don't
want it reformatted. They want to save their stuff. By the time the IT
gets it, it
has multi viruses and Trojans on it, which takes hours to fix.Because the
owner
doesn't get it to the shop till the computer is at a crawl, and about dead.

:
: Hackers don't hack normal peoples computers!!! There's no reason to!
: At worst they'll email you a Trojan and then use your computer to
: hack a REAL target like microsofts website or soemthing. Hacking is
: all about bragging rights... there's no bragging rights in hacking
: "Jane Smiths" computer!

Bullshit They all had to start somewhere.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 21, 2004 11:34:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

> Believable I suppose. But most today get them because of social
> engineering.

You watched the discovery channel and heard the term "Social Engineering" so
now your flashing it, yet you don't really know what it means... lol

> Mostly bullshit. one to three hours is the norm now on these larger hard
> drives to reformat.

I have a 120Gig hard drive. It took 3 minuites to do a low level format
about a month ago. The largest hard drives are around 200gig nowadays. There
are bigger ones... but they are expensive.

> Plus most ignorant users that don't know how to fix and only how to be
click
> happy
> on their computers. They want the IT to install everything if it is
> reformatted.
> Including the extra software they had. But the norm is they want it fixed
> they don't
> want it reformatted. They want to save their stuff. By the time the IT
> gets it, it
> has multi viruses and Trojans on it, which takes hours to fix.Because the
> owner
> doesn't get it to the shop till the computer is at a crawl, and about
dead.

If you take a computer that's infected with a trojan to an IT department,
you'll be lucky if they don't destroy the computer. They will almost
definately Format the drive and then Ghost the computer.

> Bullshit They all had to start somewhere.

They start by hacking offshore porn websites.

There's no way to "Hack" a computer that has no entry point on it. Are you
hosting a website? are you running telnet server? How are they supposed to
log into your computer if there is no way to log in? If YOU wanted to log
into your own computer from somewhere else, how would you do it? You CANT!
Because you are running no software that allows remote logins. The only way
an outside person can hack your computer (assuming it's a standard windows
PC) is if you get infected by a trojan.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 21, 2004 12:18:41 PM

Pain Devine wrote:

> Ugh... 99.99% of people that think they got "hacked" were never hacked at
> all.
>
> One of the following is more likely your problem:
> 1. You opened and email attachment and, as a result, Got a virus.
> 2. Have a husband that downloaded porn and, as a result, got a virus.
> 3. Have a kid that was trying to dowload a pirated video game and, as a
> result, got a virus.
> 4. Got a computer than had something wrong with it, took it back to the
> store and they didn't know how to fix it so they told you that you were
> hacked to get you to go away... and probably charged you a fortune to format
> your hard drive even though it took them all of 10 minuites to do.
>
> Hackers don't hack normal peoples computers!!! There's no reason to! At
> worst they'll email you a Trojan and then use your computer to hack a REAL
> target like microsofts website or soemthing. Hacking is all about bragging
> rights... there's no bragging rights in hacking "Jane Smiths" computer!

I've seen a few hundred basic computer users with their computer hacked into,
bank account funds stolen, identity theft, and when I began the only place I
ever visited was alt.pets.ferrets and the members there have a big freaking
mouth. Thanks to them an enormous E-Book has been written and many Corporations
have been saved from future losses.

Tracker
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 21, 2004 12:18:42 PM

Tracker" <"snail(valid)mail222000 wrote:
:
: I've seen a few hundred basic computer users with their computer
: hacked into, bank account funds stolen, identity theft, and when I
: began the only place I ever visited was alt.pets.ferrets and the
: members there have a big freaking mouth. Thanks to them an enormous
: E-Book has been written and many Corporations have been saved from
: future losses.
:
: Tracker

As long as I have been posting on Usenet I haven't seen this.
I wont say it can't happen.
But the norm from what I hear is that they hack each other.
or ask for permission.
The penalty for hacking is worse today than it was years ago.
Mostly social engineering is how a Identity is stolen.
same goes for bank info etc. Maybe you gave them a reason
to go after you who knows. Judging from your post, I suppose
it was the case. I can't take the word of someone who
doesnt even know what time it is. A person of skill can fix their clock
settings.

---
Running XP PRO &
Linux Mandrake 9.1
CHOICE IS GOOD!
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 21, 2004 12:18:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

You wrote an e-book regarding hackers? But from everything I've read that
you've posted in here... you know less about computers than my 80 year old
grandmother who still thinks the movie house is "the devil"

Whats the name of your "e-book" and where can we get it? What corporations
have been "saved"? Who were the hundreds that have been hacked in this
forum? How would they steal your identity based on newsgroup posts? How
would they steal your bank account information if it's not stored anywhere
on your computer?

If it's so easy to hack people, hack me. I dare you.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 21, 2004 12:18:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

--------
WARNING: Anything posted by any person called "Tracker" should be
ignored. This person knows nothing of computer and network security, and
her advice is more likely to damage or destroy your computer than
actually remedy any issue you may have.
--------

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
a b 8 Security
May 21, 2004 3:31:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.computer.security,comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

--
Laura Fredericks
PGP key ID - DH/DSS 2048/1024: 0xC753039A

Usenet Flamewars:
http://www.queenofcyberspace.com/usenet/

Remove CLOTHES to reply.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 21, 2004 4:00:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,alt.comp.virus,alt.pets.ferrets (More info?)

> There's no way to "Hack" a computer that has no entry point on it. Are you
> hosting a website? are you running telnet server? How are they supposed to
> log into your computer if there is no way to log in? If YOU wanted to log
> into your own computer from somewhere else, how would you do it? You CANT!
> Because you are running no software that allows remote logins. The only way
> an outside person can hack your computer (assuming it's a standard windows
> PC) is if you get infected by a trojan.

Which can be done eploiting one of many windows XP unpatch
vulneribilities, if the computer isn't armored with a layer defense.
Look at how easy it was for people to get Blaster, and then Sasser. All
a hacker really needs to do is find a similar exploiting method that
hasn't been patched yet, and write a script to exploit the method so
that he/she can infest the target PC with a backdoor proggie or a
keylogger, and believe it or not, there is an incentive to hack private
citizens. 1) use as proxy for spamming-->$$. 2) through key-logging,
someone could get a hold of bank PWs and possibly even credit card
numbers. However, as someone said earlier in this post, not many people
who say they've been hacked have really been hacked.

--
William

If it don't work, hit it.
If it still don't work, kick it.
If it works after that, than it doesn't matter if that helped, what's
important is it works.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 21, 2004 5:57:32 PM

In article <10ar2h8lc4v250@corp.supernews.com>, noway@jose.com says...

>Hackers don't hack normal peoples computers!!! There's no reason to! At
>worst they'll email you a Trojan and then use your computer to hack a REAL
>target like microsofts website or soemthing. Hacking is all about bragging
>rights... there's no bragging rights in hacking "Jane Smiths" computer!

WRONG! Anyone with a high speed Internet connection is a potential target to
install a Spam engine complete with back door. The back door is usually
installed via a virus, and then the Spam engine is added via the backdoor. A
good hacker will lock the back door when he/she leaves so that no one else can
use it.
!