FAX directly to PC without phone

June 8, 2005 2:10:23 PM

I saw a post in another group from someone who used to routinely fax
documents to himself which were then saved as images for file records.
In a situation now where there is only cell phone service the original
arraignment isn't an option. Apparently this was more suitable than
whatever scanning options he's found.

It occurs to me that there should be a way to connect and transmit a
FAX directly to PC without using a telephone, but I am not familiar
enough to consider the question. Reading on the web hasn't been much
help and this may be more of a modem oriented question but I don't see
any of those groups that are real active.

The FAX used is a Samsung SCX-4216F which looks like a fairly capable
machine. Anyway if someone is familiar with doing this or knows a
better place to fish for information I'd be interested to hear.

Thanks for your time.

More about : fax directly phone

June 8, 2005 3:03:11 PM

The below app allows you to do that by Faxing yourself. It will send them
to you as an attachment in email which you can save. As far as I know it
is free. Check it out.
Demon Support e-mail
http://www.demon.nl/eng/support/email/dfax.html
--
Some days you're the windshield,
some days you're the bug.

"gnububba" wrote:

> I saw a post in another group from someone who used to routinely fax
> documents to himself which were then saved as images for file records.
> In a situation now where there is only cell phone service the original
> arraignment isn't an option. Apparently this was more suitable than
> whatever scanning options he's found.
>
> It occurs to me that there should be a way to connect and transmit a
> FAX directly to PC without using a telephone, but I am not familiar
> enough to consider the question. Reading on the web hasn't been much
> help and this may be more of a modem oriented question but I don't see
> any of those groups that are real active.
>
> The FAX used is a Samsung SCX-4216F which looks like a fairly capable
> machine. Anyway if someone is familiar with doing this or knows a
> better place to fish for information I'd be interested to hear.
>
> Thanks for your time.

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 7:12:28 PM

I may lack imagination; however, I can conceive of but one situation
where it would be better to use a fax machine and fax a document to
yourself for archive purposes rather than to use a scanner and simply
save the scanner's file. And that is if you had a fax and did not have a
scanner. And you did not want to purchase a scanner, the better tool
for the job.

Another option is one of the many very good multi-function machines. One
of these can replace a printer/scanner/fax or just printer/scanner.

To answer your question:

You need a telephone company analogue phone line to send a fax. Or, you
can use an ADSL with the appropriate line splitter. (More accurately,
the ADSL uses the analogue phone line, and can share it with other
devices by way of band-{pass|reject} filtering.) In any case, the fax or
fax/modem is attached to the line in the same way as a standard phone
but through a forementioned filter.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

:
: It occurs to me that there should be a way to connect and transmit a
: FAX directly to PC without using a telephone, but I am not familiar
: enough to consider the question. Reading on the web hasn't been much
: help and this may be more of a modem oriented question but I don't see
: any of those groups that are real active.
:
: The FAX used is a Samsung SCX-4216F which looks like a fairly capable
: machine. Anyway if someone is familiar with doing this or knows a
: better place to fish for information I'd be interested to hear.
:
: Thanks for your time.
:
June 8, 2005 11:52:14 PM

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 11:03:11 -0700, "Byte"
<Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> opined to the gathering
crowd:<71EEC9CA-686E-4CC6-B98D-855B2350BB89@microsoft.com>

>The below app allows you to do that by Faxing yourself. It will send them
>to you as an attachment in email which you can save. As far as I know it
>is free. Check it out.
>Demon Support e-mail
>http://www.demon.nl/eng/support/email/dfax.html

Looks like it's just for Demon subscribers but that's handy. They
assign a phone number you can hand out so that people can FAX you.
The complication is no phone line to send one to begin with. He may
just have to spend some quality time with his scanner.

Thanks for checking!
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 11:52:15 PM

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 15:12:28 -0300, "Tom Ferguson" <tomf@mvps.org>
opined to the gathering crowd:<eZIjlWFbFHA.1088@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>

>I may lack imagination; however, I can conceive of but one situation
>where it would be better to use a fax machine and fax a document to
>yourself for archive purposes rather than to use a scanner and simply
>save the scanner's file. And that is if you had a fax and did not have a
>scanner. And you did not want to purchase a scanner, the better tool
>for the job.

That's just about the situation. In this case the image from the fax
was adequate for the task and a good down & dirty way to get it done
in a minimal amount of time. Even though this particular Samsung
actually has a flatbed on it, that was taking more time than the other
approach which was his only real concern.

>Another option is one of the many very good multi-function machines. One
>of these can replace a printer/scanner/fax or just printer/scanner.
>
>To answer your question:
>
>You need a telephone company analogue phone line to send a fax. Or, you
>can use an ADSL with the appropriate line splitter. (More accurately,
>the ADSL uses the analogue phone line, and can share it with other
>devices by way of band-{pass|reject} filtering.) In any case, the fax or
>fax/modem is attached to the line in the same way as a standard phone
>but through a forementioned filter.
>
>Tom
>MSMVP
>Windows Shell/User

[...]
Thanks for the information, I didn't know that fax was different with
ADSL. I guess the part that intrigued me was what would be involved
in attaching the fax directly to the modem. Just thought I'd find out
if a work around was more trouble than it was worth.

Thanks again.

Bruce
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 7:10:12 AM

"gnububba" <gnububbaNOBULL@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I saw a post in another group from someone who used to routinely
>fax
> documents to himself which were then saved as images for file
> records.
> In a situation now where there is only cell phone service the
> original
> arraignment isn't an option. Apparently this was more suitable
> than
> whatever scanning options he's found.
>
> It occurs to me that there should be a way to connect and transmit
> FAX directly to PC without using a telephone, but I am not
> familiar
> enough to consider the question. Reading on the web hasn't been
> much
> help and this may be more of a modem oriented question but I don't
> see
> any of those groups that are real active.
>
> The FAX used is a Samsung SCX-4216F which looks like a fairly
> capable
> machine. Anyway if someone is familiar with doing this or knows a
> better place to fish for information I'd be interested to hear.
>
> Thanks for your time.

The trouble is that a fax or a voice call depends upon power from
the telephone company to make a line ring and to send voice or data
along the line. The fax machine will not dial unless it gets a dial
tone. The fax modem will not pick up unless the line rings. The
only way consistently to get around the PSTN is to have a
self-powered internal phone system. You would need an analog
system because digital systems will burn up the modem in the
computer.

With the properly equipped cellular phone and cable, you can bypass
the internal fax modem and receive faxes through your cellular phone
tethered to your computer.

--
Earl F. Parrish
!