FAX directly to PC without phone

I saw a post in another group from someone who used to routinely fax
documents to himself which were then saved as images for file records.
In a situation now where there is only cell phone service the original
arraignment isn't an option. Apparently this was more suitable than
whatever scanning options he's found.

It occurs to me that there should be a way to connect and transmit a
FAX directly to PC without using a telephone, but I am not familiar
enough to consider the question. Reading on the web hasn't been much
help and this may be more of a modem oriented question but I don't see
any of those groups that are real active.

The FAX used is a Samsung SCX-4216F which looks like a fairly capable
machine. Anyway if someone is familiar with doing this or knows a
better place to fish for information I'd be interested to hear.

Thanks for your time.
5 answers Last reply
More about directly phone

    The below app allows you to do that by Faxing yourself. It will send them
    to you as an attachment in email which you can save. As far as I know it
    is free. Check it out.
    Demon Support e-mail
    http://www.demon.nl/eng/support/email/dfax.html
    --
    Some days you're the windshield,
    some days you're the bug.

    "gnububba" wrote:

    > I saw a post in another group from someone who used to routinely fax
    > documents to himself which were then saved as images for file records.
    > In a situation now where there is only cell phone service the original
    > arraignment isn't an option. Apparently this was more suitable than
    > whatever scanning options he's found.
    >
    > It occurs to me that there should be a way to connect and transmit a
    > FAX directly to PC without using a telephone, but I am not familiar
    > enough to consider the question. Reading on the web hasn't been much
    > help and this may be more of a modem oriented question but I don't see
    > any of those groups that are real active.
    >
    > The FAX used is a Samsung SCX-4216F which looks like a fairly capable
    > machine. Anyway if someone is familiar with doing this or knows a
    > better place to fish for information I'd be interested to hear.
    >
    > Thanks for your time.

    I may lack imagination; however, I can conceive of but one situation
    where it would be better to use a fax machine and fax a document to
    yourself for archive purposes rather than to use a scanner and simply
    save the scanner's file. And that is if you had a fax and did not have a
    scanner. And you did not want to purchase a scanner, the better tool
    for the job.

    Another option is one of the many very good multi-function machines. One
    of these can replace a printer/scanner/fax or just printer/scanner.

    To answer your question:

    You need a telephone company analogue phone line to send a fax. Or, you
    can use an ADSL with the appropriate line splitter. (More accurately,
    the ADSL uses the analogue phone line, and can share it with other
    devices by way of band-{pass|reject} filtering.) In any case, the fax or
    fax/modem is attached to the line in the same way as a standard phone
    but through a forementioned filter.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    :
    : It occurs to me that there should be a way to connect and transmit a
    : FAX directly to PC without using a telephone, but I am not familiar
    : enough to consider the question. Reading on the web hasn't been much
    : help and this may be more of a modem oriented question but I don't see
    : any of those groups that are real active.
    :
    : The FAX used is a Samsung SCX-4216F which looks like a fairly capable
    : machine. Anyway if someone is familiar with doing this or knows a
    : better place to fish for information I'd be interested to hear.
    :
    : Thanks for your time.
    :

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 11:03:11 -0700, "Byte"
    <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> opined to the gathering
    crowd:<71EEC9CA-686E-4CC6-B98D-855B2350BB89@microsoft.com>

    >The below app allows you to do that by Faxing yourself. It will send them
    >to you as an attachment in email which you can save. As far as I know it
    >is free. Check it out.
    >Demon Support e-mail
    >http://www.demon.nl/eng/support/email/dfax.html

    Looks like it's just for Demon subscribers but that's handy. They
    assign a phone number you can hand out so that people can FAX you.
    The complication is no phone line to send one to begin with. He may
    just have to spend some quality time with his scanner.

    Thanks for checking!

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 15:12:28 -0300, "Tom Ferguson" <tomf@mvps.org>
    opined to the gathering crowd:<eZIjlWFbFHA.1088@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>

    >I may lack imagination; however, I can conceive of but one situation
    >where it would be better to use a fax machine and fax a document to
    >yourself for archive purposes rather than to use a scanner and simply
    >save the scanner's file. And that is if you had a fax and did not have a
    >scanner. And you did not want to purchase a scanner, the better tool
    >for the job.

    That's just about the situation. In this case the image from the fax
    was adequate for the task and a good down & dirty way to get it done
    in a minimal amount of time. Even though this particular Samsung
    actually has a flatbed on it, that was taking more time than the other
    approach which was his only real concern.

    >Another option is one of the many very good multi-function machines. One
    >of these can replace a printer/scanner/fax or just printer/scanner.
    >
    >To answer your question:
    >
    >You need a telephone company analogue phone line to send a fax. Or, you
    >can use an ADSL with the appropriate line splitter. (More accurately,
    >the ADSL uses the analogue phone line, and can share it with other
    >devices by way of band-{pass|reject} filtering.) In any case, the fax or
    >fax/modem is attached to the line in the same way as a standard phone
    >but through a forementioned filter.
    >
    >Tom
    >MSMVP
    >Windows Shell/User

    [...]
    Thanks for the information, I didn't know that fax was different with
    ADSL. I guess the part that intrigued me was what would be involved
    in attaching the fax directly to the modem. Just thought I'd find out
    if a work around was more trouble than it was worth.

    Thanks again.

    Bruce

    "gnububba" <gnububbaNOBULL@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I saw a post in another group from someone who used to routinely
    >fax
    > documents to himself which were then saved as images for file
    > records.
    > In a situation now where there is only cell phone service the
    > original
    > arraignment isn't an option. Apparently this was more suitable
    > than
    > whatever scanning options he's found.
    >
    > It occurs to me that there should be a way to connect and transmit
    > FAX directly to PC without using a telephone, but I am not
    > familiar
    > enough to consider the question. Reading on the web hasn't been
    > much
    > help and this may be more of a modem oriented question but I don't
    > see
    > any of those groups that are real active.
    >
    > The FAX used is a Samsung SCX-4216F which looks like a fairly
    > capable
    > machine. Anyway if someone is familiar with doing this or knows a
    > better place to fish for information I'd be interested to hear.
    >
    > Thanks for your time.

    The trouble is that a fax or a voice call depends upon power from
    the telephone company to make a line ring and to send voice or data
    along the line. The fax machine will not dial unless it gets a dial
    tone. The fax modem will not pick up unless the line rings. The
    only way consistently to get around the PSTN is to have a
    self-powered internal phone system. You would need an analog
    system because digital systems will burn up the modem in the
    computer.

    With the properly equipped cellular phone and cable, you can bypass
    the internal fax modem and receive faxes through your cellular phone
    tethered to your computer.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish

Phones Fax Windows XP