Need Help Overclocking Abit IT7/P4 1.8A

Thrymm

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2002
Hi, I recently bought the Abit IT7 and the P4 1.8A. I also bought the Samsung DDR400 ram. In the bios currently the processor is at the default 100/66/33mhz and 18 multiplier. In order to try and go to 2.4ghz, what settings in the DRAM Ratio, Ext. Clock, PCI bus frequency, and DRAM/CPU voltage should be? Thanks in advance,
Thrymm

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A good first attemp would be 133/66/33, 1.65v core, and 3:4 CPU:RAM bus ratios. This will only operate your RAM at "DDR354", but should make it easier to run it at normal voltage and Cas2.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Cooj

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
Hrmmm,

Okay I have the Abit TH7II-RAId Motherboard and the P4 1.8A so we're pretty much identicle except different chipsets and ram.

Lets see if I can explain this correctly.

First you need to switch your cpu to user define. Once you set that you can change your frequency (FSB) to 133. That's the usual starting place with the 1.8A. For the AGP Lock/Ratio you should change that eithre to 2/4 or auto fix which will bring it back down to 66 MHZ (133 * 2/4 = 66MHZ). Change the vcore to user define and upp it to around 1.6v I think (Correct anyone?). You can fiddle with that to ry and get the best results.

As for the ram, I'm not sure since you hvae DDR, but if you set it to AUTO it should O/C automaticaly for you as well.

Just a side note, your multiplier is locked with the new p4's you can't change it. So 18x is the multiplier, nohting to worry about there.

Hope this helps.

Cooj

I am ignorant no more!

Thrymm

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2002
Thanks guys, im going to try your suggestions in a little while. :) Should I stick with the stock fan, or use some thermal compound?

Cooj

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
From what people have told me (I'm a first time O/Cer too and my process went smoothly) The P4 1.8A stock HSF are perfectly fine for O/Cing. People suggest using thermal paste rather than the tape provided but I am using the tape (Didn't have AS3 at the time I put it together) and it seems to be working fine.

I think the only difference is heat dissipation. You might get a few degrees lower if oyu use AS3. But as long as it's not overheating you're fine IMO.

Post back here when you get some results =) I'd like to konw how you faired.

Cooj

I am ignorant no more!

Thrymm

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2002
Well I did the suggestions and I can get into windows at 2.4ghz. When I run Quake3 it crashes though. I have a PNY Geforce4 ti 4600, so im assuming I did something wrong. On bootup it says the DDR ram is something like 133/167(I can recheck that).

Cooj

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
Hrmmm I ran Sandra Sisoft, PCMark2002, 3DMark2001 and I played a couple of games of WC3 and nothing crashed.

I DID however crash when 3DMark2001 was running when my vcore was set to 1.6v. I upped it to 1.625 and it worked fine after that.

You could try an dpush your vcore up a bit higher. Do you have any temp monitoring software loaded? Do you know what temp your cpu core is at? I was hitting around 52-55c when running some high end applications but I think I was maxing out at that temp.

Check to make sure your AGP is set to 66MHZ and your PCI is set at 33MHZ. Did you set your ram frequency to AUTO? or what did you set it as?

Cooj

<i> I am ignorant no more! </i> :tongue:

Thrymm

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2002
Hi Cooj
I am on my second comp now, i have the other one at the softmenu III screen.....

At the moment here are the settings:
CPU op speed: User Defined
Clock(CPU/AGP/CPI): 133/66/33
PCI Bus: 33mhz(fixed)
Multiplier: x18
DRAM Ratio H/W Setup: by CPU
DRAM Ratio (CPU:DRAM): By SPD (3:4)

CPU Voltage: 1.6v
DRAM Voltage: 2.5v

Cooj

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
Try increasing your vcore to 1.625 and keep upping by .025 increments until it works. If it still doesn't work then I'm not realy sure =)

Cooj

Thrymm

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2002
Thanks a ton Cooj, Quake3 is running sweetly at 1.65 voltage. The DDR voltage is fine at 2.5v? Im going to idle on a server in spec mode for an hour or so and see how things go. Thanks a ton, this was more complicated than overclocking the old BH6 boards for P2/P3s :)

Cooj

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
Just monitor your core temps to make sure nothing is overheating and test it out. If you see any heat probles you should bring it down and review the situation I guess. Since I'm already writing, do you know how O/Cing cpus and ram affect the logevity of the part? Will they crap out earlier?

Cooj

Cooj

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
Winbond Motherboard Doctor

I think that's what it's called. I think your Abit board should come with it. If not check www.abit.com.tw and look under the download section for your BD7II board.

Cooj