Last response: in PC Gaming
September 21, 2012 3:25:37 PM

My specs:
CPU: core 2 quad q9550 @ 4.0ghz
GPU: MSI GTX 680 reference model
Mobo: p5q deluxe
Psu: zalman 850watts
Ram: ddr2 Kingston 8gb

My card is a beast and I don't see why it cannot perform well in borderlands 2. The huge disappointment is that I am getting dips of low 40s and high 30s fps in certain battles and one of my friend having a GTX 670 with i7-2600k was able to play borderlands 2 with no dips at all (With Physx on HIGH). My GPU is on 99% percent load so I'm assuming there is no bottlenecking? But seeing that Q9550 might be old but with it at 4.0 ghz, it can still sustain modern games with no problem. I tried 3D settings but it's still the same. What is the problem? Is anyone having the same issues as I do or maybe my expectations are too damn high XD. Come on, its GTX 680 and I expected more than that!!

Please advise if you can. THANK YOU!

More about : gtx 680 q9550 borderlands

September 21, 2012 4:56:44 PM

4ghz on tha q9550 is not the same as 4ghz on a modern i5/i7 so it it will be bottlenecking it for sure
m
l
September 22, 2012 5:40:33 AM

You should switch to newer processor Core i5 or Core i7, you got bottlenecking problems there. That Q9550 works better on 200 series mostly.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 22, 2012 6:25:23 AM

So the q9550 with 4.0ghz is still a bottleneck? I thought this CPU is pretty good and most people say that with 4.0ghz the fps drop is only minimal (perhaps around 6-7 frames). Basically even with a beastly gtx 680, I won't be able to enjoy smooth high physx without dips of frames? Sigh, I thought this CPU can last me for a longer period of time.
m
l

Best solution

September 22, 2012 9:19:14 PM

The solution is, that you have to install the new v306 nvidia driver, that is all. Borderlands 2 is gona work like a charm. I had the same issue with my Q6600@3.6Ghz+GTX580

A 4Ghz QuadCore is absolutely NOT a bottleneck. These guys talking bulls#!t. A i5/i7 on 4Ghz gives you at most 5-10 % performance gain on you current QuadCore, even with a newer chipset motherboard, more and faster RAM, you cannot build a significantly faster PC than 2-3 years ago. Six core i7 extreme is sometimes slightly slower than a 4 core ivy bridge and much worse if you want to over clock it.

And there are no games that use more than 3-4 threads at a time anyway. You can always f4ck away several thousands of dollars for 10-15% performance gain, but it's senseless. Don't eat up all the lies of the gaming market. You should not upgrade from the CPU side of your PC for 2-3 more years, and you shouldn't go and buy a new PC when there is just a driver issue with your setup. :-)
September 22, 2012 9:31:50 PM

Doff knows what he is talking about. Your quad core is fine. People are just talking out of their asses.

Really sounds like a driver issue to me.
m
l
September 22, 2012 9:48:14 PM

GPU at 99% is not a CPU bottleneck, somethings not right though if your struggling and hitting 99% GPU, try clean install on the drivers.
m
l
September 22, 2012 10:46:57 PM

Here is what you need for your Graphics Card visit the link below and download the latest driver

http://www.geforce.co.uk/

During the install, there is a Borderlands 2 compatibility test available on the interface, you can run that to verify
m
l
September 24, 2012 10:58:56 AM

doff said:
The solution is, that you have to install the new v306 nvidia driver, that is all. Borderlands 2 is gona work like a charm. I had the same issue with my Q6600@3.6Ghz+GTX580

A 4Ghz QuadCore is absolutely NOT a bottleneck. These guys talking bulls#!t. A i5/i7 on 4Ghz gives you at most 5-10 % performance gain on you current QuadCore, even with a newer chipset motherboard, more and faster RAM, you cannot build a significantly faster PC than 2-3 years ago. Six core i7 extreme is sometimes slightly slower than a 4 core ivy bridge and much worse if you want to over clock it.

And there are no games that use more than 3-4 threads at a time anyway. You can always f4ck away several thousands of dollars for 10-15% performance gain, but it's senseless. Don't eat up all the lies of the gaming market. You should not upgrade from the CPU side of your PC for 2-3 more years, and you shouldn't go and buy a new PC when there is just a driver issue with your setup. :-)

Haha...well said...bravo...hahahaha...when people were telling me to upgrade it, I must say I was quite skeptical about upgrading it...Thanks for your reply :) 
m
l
September 24, 2012 11:01:43 AM

Just a note to everyone, my current driver is the latest.
m
l
September 24, 2012 11:12:58 AM

It could well be your CPU (unless it is a drivers issue).

Here's a link to benchmarking GPU and CPU. As you'll see the GPU should be putting out 60fps mostly and your CPU would be under the core I7 920 (maybe, but you have got a good OC). It might bottleneck the card.

http://www.techspot.com/review/577-borderlands-2-perfor...

The other pages of the article show different resolutions so you can see your GPU output. My 560TI can manage around 60fps at 1920X1200. You 680 would eat that.

Hope this helps.

John.
m
l
September 25, 2012 8:35:43 AM

Yeah, although your CPU certainly isn't bad, Nehalem architecture (the original i3/i5/i7) was a major step forward in performance. Sandy Bridge didn't add a lot and Ivy Bridge added even less, but moving from Core2 to Core i-whatever is a pretty decent upgrade (and probably a bigger single step up than you'll see from Intel for the next several new lines they launch). Keep in mind the original i7 launched over 4 years ago now, so it's not like Core2 Quad has only just been replaced :-)
m
l
September 25, 2012 8:37:44 AM

I am just talking about general performance by the way - for this specific issue with Borderlands I'd certainly agree that it'll be a driver issue. It's not an especially demanding game on hardware.
m
l
September 26, 2012 7:57:38 AM

Best answer selected by frostbane.
m
l