Printing to Windows 98 shared printer slow from Windows XP..

We have a large number of Windows 98 pc's with shared printers.

We have noticed that after upgrading to a Windows 2003 server network with
both Windows XP and 98 PC's in the domain. A PC with XP SP2 installed that
attempts to print to a shared printer on a Windows 98 PC takes around 1-2
mins to "think" about it before actually printing. This is also the same if
you look at the properties of the printer from the XP SP2 PC. It does not
have the same effect on printers installed on the XP PC that are either
shared from another XP PC or via a Network TCP/IP port.

We have disabled SP2's firewall service which has no effect, we have also
allowed exceptions for File and Print sharing, with no effect.

I've search MS KB and found nothing.

Has any one got any idea?
2 answers Last reply
More about printing windows shared printer slow windows

    Check the printer Properties. Start>Control Panel>Printers and Faxes
    Rightclick the printer>Properties>Advanced tab and see it they are set
    to print to the spooler or directly to the printer, switch it and see if it
    will work better.
    --
    Some days you're the windshield,
    some days you're the bug.

    "Matt" wrote:

    > We have a large number of Windows 98 pc's with shared printers.
    >
    > We have noticed that after upgrading to a Windows 2003 server network with
    > both Windows XP and 98 PC's in the domain. A PC with XP SP2 installed that
    > attempts to print to a shared printer on a Windows 98 PC takes around 1-2
    > mins to "think" about it before actually printing. This is also the same if
    > you look at the properties of the printer from the XP SP2 PC. It does not
    > have the same effect on printers installed on the XP PC that are either
    > shared from another XP PC or via a Network TCP/IP port.
    >
    > We have disabled SP2's firewall service which has no effect, we have also
    > allowed exceptions for File and Print sharing, with no effect.
    >
    > I've search MS KB and found nothing.
    >
    > Has any one got any idea?

    It is not a basic issue, it is MS putting security on TCP ports which caused
    the problem.

    The fix can be applyed from http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=downloads

    "Byte" wrote:

    > Check the printer Properties. Start>Control Panel>Printers and Faxes
    > Rightclick the printer>Properties>Advanced tab and see it they are set
    > to print to the spooler or directly to the printer, switch it and see if it
    > will work better.
    > --
    > Some days you're the windshield,
    > some days you're the bug.
    >

    > "Matt" wrote:
    >
    > > We have a large number of Windows 98 pc's with shared printers.
    > >
    > > We have noticed that after upgrading to a Windows 2003 server network with
    > > both Windows XP and 98 PC's in the domain. A PC with XP SP2 installed that
    > > attempts to print to a shared printer on a Windows 98 PC takes around 1-2
    > > mins to "think" about it before actually printing. This is also the same if
    > > you look at the properties of the printer from the XP SP2 PC. It does not
    > > have the same effect on printers installed on the XP PC that are either
    > > shared from another XP PC or via a Network TCP/IP port.
    > >
    > > We have disabled SP2's firewall service which has no effect, we have also
    > > allowed exceptions for File and Print sharing, with no effect.
    > >
    > > I've search MS KB and found nothing.
    > >
    > > Has any one got any idea?

Windows 98 Windows XP Shared Printer Printers