Is OC'ing FSB bad for RAID array?

fireflayer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
I read in some review, can't remember where, that when they overclocked their FSB a whole lot, it killed their RAID array in just a few hours.

I have my FSB overclocked from 133 to 145 and the 2nd hard drive in my RAID array died twice, is this the possible cause of it?

Thanks

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Depends on your overclock, taking the PCI or the memory too far beyond spec can damage the data quickly.

I run my RAID up in the 170FSB area, no problems at all. I have my PCI/AGP locked and my memory at a sweet 231FSB 24/7.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

fireflayer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
My hard drive was physically dead. It wouldn't format anymore, even once I went to stock FSB. I'm def. not sure if it was the OC'ing, might have just been that I got 2 bad hard drive.

It just seemed odd so I thought I would check to see if it was a known problem.

Thank, does being able to lock the PCI/AGP work on pretty much any mainboard or is that pretty much just bios dependant?

I was thinking my next CPU might be an Intel, or else if AMD can get to run cooler stock I'll just go with that. If I remember right 166MHz FSB will bring everything except the FSB down to stock... right?

svol

Champion
If I'm right only a couple of chipsets support PCI/AGP speed locking.

And indeed at 166 MHz FSB on a DDR333 chipset will bring your PCI and AGP back to its normal speeds.

My peltier is so powerful I get Bose-Einstein Condensate beneath it :eek: .