a7v333 & new mbm5 cpu temps

pek

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2001
Has anyone else run into this? It's not a problem per-se, but scary. mbm 5.2.0.0 (brand new) will read the diode in xp's. When I started reading that temp, I got:

case = 36 c
mboard = 46 c
cpu = 65 c
room ambient = 78 to 81 f

Now I've been running fat, dumb and happy thinking that I've been running fairly cool. But the 65 c actually on the cpu itself is eye-opening to say the least. Has anyone else run into this with the new mbm?

pek

Golden1

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2002
actually that looks about right.

mine runs a little "warm" too. 65degree's ish warm.

it's a bit of a shck when you check it.

on the other hand , where the hell is the CPU sensor anyway?
there's no where i can find that ever gets that hot in there.

it *does* increase the room temp byu a good 10 degrees if its left on all day.

If at first you <b> do </B> succeed, try not to look too suprised

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
What are you using to cool it. The stock retail heatsink and fan? You are fine where you are but I was just wondering what setup you had for cooling.

<b>"If I melt dry ice in a bathtub, can I take a bath without getting wet?" - Steven Wright</b>

pek

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2001
Actually, I decided to re-paste my hsf with AS3 (hsf is a Volcano 7+) over the weekend and temps are now:
(I use the middle fan setting, about 5,000rpm, with 4 case fans in my Antec (sx830) case the cpu fan is the most noticable)

32c case
43c temp sensor under the cpu
55c using the built-in diode on the T'bred

Room is still about 80F average.

So the 'actual' cpu temp dropped about 10 - 15 c with a re-paste. I just hate to mess with it when it's working, learned that in the Navy a long time ago.

Rarely goes over 58c, I don't OC or stress it out except for games. And it is a shock to see the higher temps, but mbm5 and the latest version of Asus PC probe give the same temps. So at least they're both wrong the same way, if they are wrong. PC Probe doesn't give the 'old' cpu temp anymore, just the built-in diode temp. Mbm still still uses the old sensor, they just added the diode.

pek