Win 7 not enabling my wireless adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

g13lax

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Hello,
I don't know if this is the forum to be putting this in...but I bought a wireless adapter (linksys) and am running win7 64 ultimate and the adapter isnt being able to enable. Ive spent about 2 hours on the phone with linksys who say its generally a problem only when theres an antivirus attached to the computer. I dont have any antivirus on this computer at the moment. Is there something in Windows 7 that might be holding it from installing correctly/enabling?

tsi73

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
Install your wireless adapter, go to Windows Update and check for updates. It should offer you the correct driver for the Linksys adapter. Let Windows Update install the driver while the adapter is still connected. After installation, you should get a message that tells you that the update was successful. The adapter should automatically search for wireless networks in your area. Right click on the wireless icon in the system tray and open up the Network and Sharing center. Click on Manage Wirelss Networks and choose your home metwork. Select Connect to this Network to attach to your network. It should ask you for you passcode and then the connection should be established.

Hope this helps.

g13lax

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Thanks for responding. When plugging in the adapter (its a linksys ae1000) the computer recognizes that its plugged in (you can see it in the device manager) and you can see it in the network connections, it starts disabled and when you try to enable it it wont enable. It (win 7) says its enabling it...but it doesnt. I heard from one of the techs that worked on this (I spent a few hours on the phone with linksys) and he said that its a setting in win 7 the is not allowing this to happen. I think hes lying out his teeth but if there is that'd be awesome to cuz then this would work. Thanks for your help.

verbalizer

Distinguished
after you get the correct drivers and attempted all the steps above then you'll need to reset the cable modem and router then renew IP address on unit.
unplug router and modem (if cable modem), leave for for at least 30 seconds.
first plug in cable modem, wait for it to go through boot up process and to get sync; then plug back in router.
try it again.
are you sure that the network card is still good.?

g13lax

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Tried the services fix, you were right it was setup as manual...however that still didnt fix the problem...Also, when I tried updating the drivers it timed out...I'm going to try another adapter and hope that one can work...

g13lax

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
So apparently using a different adapter (used a dlink dwa-130) didnt help at all. Is there a setting or something that I'm missing? Drivers installed...it shows on device manager (no errors or anything)...the program that it uses installed on my computer but it won't open or run. Another note is that when I try restarting my computer I must remove the adapter or it'll hang same if I try to upload the drivers from the internet.

tsi73

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
Check your router settings to be sure that you don't have MAC Address filtering turned on. That would require you to put the MAC of the Adapter in the list to allow it to connect to the network. MAC filtering is a great security device, but a lot of people forget about it and it causes trouble.

Another thing to consider is the level of security you have the router set to. Your new adpater may not be able to handle higher or lower levels of security like WPA 2 or WEP. Be sure you have the correct passcode too. Finally, check which channel your adapter runs on. Routers are usually set to channel 1.

The fact that neither adapter can connect with the network indicates that it is something in the wireless router settings.

g13lax

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
You might not be understanding what I'm trying to say...Its not that the router is the problem more so than the adapter not "being seen" by windows 7/not allowing me to even turn it on. As I said it shows in device manager (with no errors)...but won't show in network connections and when I can get it to show it won't enable. This is quite irritating...

g13lax

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
On another side note...just brought in my linksys adapter and tried it on a Win 7 Enterprise x64 and it worked just fine...obviously theres something wrong with the computer but i have no idea what it could be at this point...

g13lax

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Just an update...redid the OS and all of the other drivers (including mobo/graphics) which shouldnt have mattered since it was a fresh install before but apparently that fixed something. Thanks for your help!

mikkel250

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Interesting. I seem to be having the exact same problem. I tried installing a fresh copy of W7 on a different drive (the 32 bit version, just to see if that made a difference), but still had the same problem. Extremely frustrating because the only access to the internet I have at the place I just moved to is through wireless (unless I can talk the landlord into letting me run a wire down to my room). So I can't connect to Windows Update through 7. I know it's not the card being faulty, because I'm using it right now to type this through XP which I have installed on another drive. Works just fine in XP, but when I enable it in devices and printers, the popup box says "enabled!," but the actual icon still reads as disabled.
If anyone has found another solution, let me know, please! Otherwise I guess I'll be doing a wipe and a fresh install of 7.

D-tremens

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
SOLUTION :
I went to HP model page of my laptop (HP pavilion dv5 1030ev in my case)
and downloaded the bios flashing utility for my laptop. Flashed the new BIOS and everything works fine now!! shutting on/off fom button enabled and enable/disable from network adapter preferences also.
Just in case download all windows 7 drivers too(WLAN drivers,chipset drivers etc) from HP individual laptop page.
hope i helped some users that where frustrated as I was .
cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.