Liranan

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
Other than telling me I have bought the wrong board and CPU for overclocking my XP1900+ I have encountered a very odd problem with my board, memory and CPU.
Initially I was able to overclock my CPU to a FSB speed of 143 Mhz, but after a while I realized that neither Win ME or even XP would run at such speeds and that I was forced to drop the FSB from 143 to 141 and ended up with a system that is totally unoverclockable. The error I get when overclocking my system beyond a speed of 136 Mhz in XP is an error that a fault has occured in a memory range and that I need to deactivate all forms of caching (BIOS, Video BIOS, etc.) in ME I get a Windows protection error. The deactivaton of caching does not help and I still recieve this error.
I have taken the board to the vendors and they have not been able to detect any problems though I am doubtfull that they seriously looked for any problems.
I am now wondering if anybody has any idea why I keep recieving these errors and what I can do to resolve any this problem other than upgrading to Epox or any other high-quality board with a history of overclocking? Could this be a memory issue and if my TA PC2100 memory is the correct memory to use.
I am very satisfied with the performance of my board and CPU and seem to reach better results than the benchmarks listed on this site but am also interested in the sweetness of overclocking.

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
I got my sl75drv5 up to 147 fsb without any problems. I even got it up to 152 but for some reason the memory would count 256 instead of the 512 i have, but the computer still works fine. At 147 fsb it works perfectly. Then again though i have a xp1700+, so maybe you have a lower overclock rate.

Liranan

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
Thanks a lot mate what I think I am going to do is replace my memory with some good quality ones because I still haven't been able to find the manufacturer of my memory. May I ask which brand you use and how much? I do think I have a lower overclockable processor than any other XP and I am just waiting for the prices to drop untill I can replace my 1900 with a 2800 or 3000 even. Also could you tell me wether PC 2100 and 2700 really make that big a difference in bandwidth and speed and will I need PC2100 to be able to overclock at high speeds?

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
I use the lower class 512mb Samsung DDR333. I say the lower class because its CAS is 2.5. I would have bought the CAS 2.0 but at the time it was about $60 more. I paid $145 for it at a local computer shop. If you overclock, then the extra bandwidth with will help. Try to get CAS 2.0, and maybe some heat spreaders. I suspect that the reason my memory counts incorrectly at 152 fsb is because I have slow CAS 2.5 or that its over heating. I'm not going to go and buy new memory over a couple mhz but if you are going to replace your memory, you should try to get the best.

Liranan

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
Thanks for that advice man. but i don't know if i should wait for the KT400 or if i should just keep this board and merely replace the memory and the processor. but then no one can tell me what the maximum speed the 75DRV5 can take. i know the 8K3A+ can take any processor after having been flashed but does that also count for the 75DRV5? because if it means that the board can't take processing power over 1,8 GHz (2200+) then i don't really see the point of replacing the processor and i'd rather wait for the KT400 to be released and then buy a processor over 3000+. what are you considering to replace you board and processor with when you upgrade? i unfortunately don't have the 'funding' to continuously replace my hardware, this is why i've had my GF3 Ti200 for a year and i will probably keep it for another half a year priar to replacing it and that is why i am waiting for the 3000+ to be released before considering to upgrade. this is why i was concidering wether to upgrade from 266 (PC2100) to 333 MHz (Pc2700) to 400 (3000/3200).

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
Just keep the board. I'm pretty sure soltek is going to release a bios to support higher clocked xps. Besides kt400 has been found to be slower than kt333. I've found the board to be a good board for its price. Its pretty stable and overclocks ok. I don't plan to upgrade my computer anytime soon. I'll build a brand new one when I need a new one and its probably going to use a 64 bit processor. I'm just wondering, why do you need such a fast processor? Is your pc a gaming pc? If it is I would replace the video card first. Other than that I see no problem with using your current configuration for another year or so.

alph

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
I´m almost sure that your problem is your ram.

i would advice you to check what voltages your ram is running at in bios.
A common problem with 75drv5 is that Vdimm is too low. Default setting for Vdimm is 2.5 but with jumpers set on 2.5 the board outputs something like 2.4. This is not enough for much ram.
This creates problem for name brand ram as well as for cheaporam. Especially samsungchips seems too really need the 2.5 V to work properly.

To raise Vdimm to 2.8 (not covered in mobomanual) put jumpers like this.

II

Otherwise 2.6 or 2.7 will be enough.

By the way. Anyone can feel free too comment on WHY í can´t make my xp1600 (10.5*133 previusly on 10.5*148) get a 166 fsb (and yes its unlocked.)

It doesn´t even work with 8*166.
Chip is working flawless with 133*8 so it doesn´t seem to be unproperly unlocked.

Done this:

Jumpered for that 1/5 divider.
Tried raising all voltages to max (cooling is no issue)
reset northbridge HSF and applied AS +better fan
been really easy on ram timings on namebrand ram
tried chipskew from 100-600
got newest bios (1.6)

I can get in to bios but when i try to enter OS it really messes up.

I really have no clue on how to move on so any help would be appriciated.

thanks

<font color=purple> english first language nono</font color=purple>