I am using a HP Media Center running windows XP and a Lexmark Z43 ink
jet printer. On the first print job of the day the printer won't start
until I power it off and on. It will then work ok on subsequent
printed items. If I leave it idle for a period of time I have to
repeat the power down/power up routine to start the printer. The
messages seem to be spooling ok. I have this problem from all
applications. It seems like the printer power is shutting down after
being idle for a period even though the power light on the printer is
lit. This printer is connected through a parallel port. TIA for your
response. Bill

Personally I'd junk it and get something that isn't a Lexmark and connects
via USB. It's an ancient printer... it may really be time to think about
retiring it.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

In <08ssa1ti0df0jpq8qp52stpvlgc3hvunm9@4ax.com>, Bill Rueck <willy1@gte.net> writes:
>I am using a HP Media Center running windows XP and a Lexmark Z43 ink
>jet printer. On the first print job of the day the printer won't start
>until I power it off and on. It will then work ok on subsequent
>printed items. If I leave it idle for a period of time I have to
>repeat the power down/power up routine to start the printer. The
>messages seem to be spooling ok. I have this problem from all
>applications. It seems like the printer power is shutting down after
>being idle for a period even though the power light on the printer is
>lit. This printer is connected through a parallel port. TIA for your
>response. Bill

Check control panel/system/hardware/device manager/LPT1/properties.
My hardware is too old to show it, but you may have a check box for shutting down power to save energy.