no preview available on fax console

June 14, 2005 4:28:18 PM

I have searched posts for problems related to getting msg "no preview
available" from fax console and have been able to resolve my problem so
far.

I am able to view old faxes, but no new ones. I found a post concerning
a possible problem with norton internet security, but following the
suggestions concerning it didn't help. Tried disabling NIS and NAV w/o
help also.

Does anyone have an idea of what else I can try?...what causes this? I
have not installed any other fax s/w. The only thing that seems
different is that I have moved since my last successful received faxes,
but can't imagine how that would be an issue.

Also, I tried searching for the *.tif files on the C: drive and can't
find them anywhere. Can someone tell me where they are stored?

Thanks,
Doug

More about : preview fax console

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 8:15:58 PM

I meant preview....I double-click on faxes I received today and it says
'no preview available'.

Today is the first day I've experienced the problem, so by 'old' faxes,
I mean faxes I received prior to today. The last one was 5/5/2005. I
can double click on all faxes on this date and prior and can preview
them.

I don't remember installing any new s/w, so I don't know what has
changed since 5/5.

Thanks for the response.

Doug

dnintzel wrote:
> I have searched posts for problems related to getting msg "no preview
> available" from fax console and have been able to resolve my problem so
> far.
>
> I am able to view old faxes, but no new ones. I found a post concerning
> a possible problem with norton internet security, but following the
> suggestions concerning it didn't help. Tried disabling NIS and NAV w/o
> help also.
>
> Does anyone have an idea of what else I can try?...what causes this? I
> have not installed any other fax s/w. The only thing that seems
> different is that I have moved since my last successful received faxes,
> but can't imagine how that would be an issue.
>
> Also, I tried searching for the *.tif files on the C: drive and can't
> find them anywhere. Can someone tell me where they are stored?
>
> Thanks,
> Doug
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 8:42:28 PM

Provide more detail. Clarify whether you mean view or preview. You mentioned
both.
Clarify the difference between "old" and "new" faxes and how you are trying
to view them.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"dnintzel" <dnintzel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have searched posts for problems related to getting msg "no preview
> available" from fax console and have been able to resolve my problem so
> far.
>
> I am able to view old faxes, but no new ones. I found a post concerning
> a possible problem with norton internet security, but following the
> suggestions concerning it didn't help. Tried disabling NIS and NAV w/o
> help also.
>
> Does anyone have an idea of what else I can try?...what causes this? I
> have not installed any other fax s/w. The only thing that seems
> different is that I have moved since my last successful received faxes,
> but can't imagine how that would be an issue.
>
> Also, I tried searching for the *.tif files on the C: drive and can't
> find them anywhere. Can someone tell me where they are stored?
>
> Thanks,
> Doug

June 15, 2005 12:44:39 AM

Thanks again Russ.
I had seen a post with these suggestions checked into these
possibilities. The tif file setting is as described above and I
disabled the Trojan horse rule. I then tried to have another fax sent,
but I can't preview it either. Do you have any other suggestions?

Doug
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 1:12:09 AM

Most often, this problem arises because some other imaging application that
you installed has set itself as the default viewer for TIF files. To view
faxes from the Fax Console, the Windows Imaging and Fax viewer must be your
default viewer for TIF files. You can easily restore that setting in Windows
Explorer > Folder Options. File Types. For most users the command line
should read:

"rundll32.exe <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1"

Another common cause of this problem is firewall software Trojan horse
rules. The most common is one that ships with Norton Internet Security.
Details on that on are available here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/4a29389c21...

--
>I meant preview....I double-click on faxes I received today and it says
> 'no preview available'.
>
> Today is the first day I've experienced the problem, so by 'old' faxes,
> I mean faxes I received prior to today. The last one was 5/5/2005. I
> can double click on all faxes on this date and prior and can preview
> them.
>
> I don't remember installing any new s/w, so I don't know what has
> changed since 5/5.
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> Doug
>
> dnintzel wrote:
>> I have searched posts for problems related to getting msg "no preview
>> available" from fax console and have been able to resolve my problem so
>> far.
>>
>> I am able to view old faxes, but no new ones. I found a post concerning
>> a possible problem with norton internet security, but following the
>> suggestions concerning it didn't help. Tried disabling NIS and NAV w/o
>> help also.
>>
>> Does anyone have an idea of what else I can try?...what causes this? I
>> have not installed any other fax s/w. The only thing that seems
>> different is that I have moved since my last successful received faxes,
>> but can't imagine how that would be an issue.
>>
>> Also, I tried searching for the *.tif files on the C: drive and can't
>> find them anywhere. Can someone tell me where they are stored?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Doug

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 8:43:56 AM

The only other clues would be at your end.
Something must have changed on your system between "old and new"
--

!