HP LaserJet 5L overlapping type, grey smearing & broken-up..

I have a HP LaserJet 5L with windows xp sp2. A problem has developed when I
try to print, the text is overlapping and therefore illegible, and any
graphics or larger text is either broken-up or smears to grey from left to
right. I have tried reinstalling printer, changing port settings, and
printing from different applications but it happens each time. I have also
tried printing from an older computer running Windows 98 se and everything
works fine then. I would be extremely grateful for any help. Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about laserjet overlapping type grey smearing broken

    Under your printer properties, click Services and try printing a Test Page.
    --
    Some days you're the windshield,
    some days you're the bug.

    "Phil" wrote:

    > I have a HP LaserJet 5L with windows xp sp2. A problem has developed when I
    > try to print, the text is overlapping and therefore illegible, and any
    > graphics or larger text is either broken-up or smears to grey from left to
    > right. I have tried reinstalling printer, changing port settings, and
    > printing from different applications but it happens each time. I have also
    > tried printing from an older computer running Windows 98 se and everything
    > works fine then. I would be extremely grateful for any help. Thanks.

Hewlett Packard Laserjet Windows XP