Trying to use LPT with Linksys Print Server

I have a winXP pro standalone machine. Using a wired linksys print server.
I have a dos application that will only print to a local port (LPT2: to be
exact). I cannot get this to work using the linksys IPP port or standard
TCP/IP port.

You're going to have to pool the port. See Bruce Sanderson's article at:
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"TonyM" <TonyM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a winXP pro standalone machine. Using a wired linksys print server.
> I have a dos application that will only print to a local port (LPT2: to be
> exact). I cannot get this to work using the linksys IPP port or standard
> TCP/IP port.

The pinter is on a linksys print server, I can't map using an unc path, which
is the only way the article explains for network printers.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> You're going to have to pool the port. See Bruce Sanderson's article at:
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "TonyM" <TonyM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a winXP pro standalone machine. Using a wired linksys print server.
> > I have a dos application that will only print to a local port (LPT2: to be
> > exact). I cannot get this to work using the linksys IPP port or standard
> > TCP/IP port.

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Why not? net use LPT# \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\PortName where xxx.. = IP of the
print server.
--

> The pinter is on a linksys print server, I can't map using an unc path,
> which
> is the only way the article explains for network printers.
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> You're going to have to pool the port. See Bruce Sanderson's article at:
>> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "TonyM" <TonyM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a winXP pro standalone machine. Using a wired linksys print
>> >server.
>> > I have a dos application that will only print to a local port (LPT2: to
>> > be
>> > exact). I cannot get this to work using the linksys IPP port or
>> > standard
>> > TCP/IP port.

so what would the port name be?

"GTS" wrote:

> Why not? net use LPT# \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\PortName where xxx.. = IP of the
> print server.
> --
>
> "TonyM" <TonyM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The pinter is on a linksys print server, I can't map using an unc path,
> > which
> > is the only way the article explains for network printers.
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> You're going to have to pool the port. See Bruce Sanderson's article at:
> >> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
> >> Printing & Imaging
> >>

> >> "TonyM" <TonyM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

The share name of the printer may be sufficient for what I referred to as
PortName.
(I don't know what specific print server you're using. They vary some
particularly depending on whether a multi-port or single port unit. If the
printer share name doesn't work and you post the exact model it would help.)