XP Pro Box Freezes When Sending or Receiving Fax

A client has a brand new Dell desktop with XP Pro that freezes when a
fax is received or sent from Windows Fax. If you are sending a fax,
you need to reboot, and then the fax completes normally. Any thoughts
on what is causing this? The box has 512 MB of RAM.

..... a few minutes later ....

I just talked to the client, and they say the problem has gone away.
They changed two things. Answer on the 2nd instead of first ring. And
one of the fax configuration numbers had periods (xxx.xxx.xxxx) instead
of dashes (xxx-xxx-xxxx). They changed them to dashes.

Doubt the first thing is relevant, but make the second did the trick.
Posting for the record.

There must be more to this story.
If both sending and receiving a fax forced a reboot, how could changing the
format of one fax number fix this problem? How were these fax numbers being
stored/entered for the transmission?
Anything logged in Event Viewer?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
<sorry_no_email@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>A client has a brand new Dell desktop with XP Pro that freezes when a
> fax is received or sent from Windows Fax. If you are sending a fax,
> you need to reboot, and then the fax completes normally. Any thoughts
> on what is causing this? The box has 512 MB of RAM.
>
> .... a few minutes later ....
>
> I just talked to the client, and they say the problem has gone away.
> They changed two things. Answer on the 2nd instead of first ring. And
> one of the fax configuration numbers had periods (xxx.xxx.xxxx) instead
> of dashes (xxx-xxx-xxxx). They changed them to dashes.
>
> Doubt the first thing is relevant, but make the second did the trick.
> Posting for the record.

If the problem pops up again, I'll take a look in the event viewer, but
right now all is well. Also, everything I reported is hearsay at this
point since I wasn't there witnessing the problem.

I have had this problem. I updated the Modem Drivers. BTW it answered on the
4th ring. I didn't touch the fax config for dots or dashes.
Of course, the PC with the problem was the new PC for the VP of Finance.
I installed WinFax Pro and have not had a ny problems.

MS fax stinks.

Take Care,
Chuck

sorry_no_email@yahoo.com wrote:
>A client has a brand new Dell desktop with XP Pro that freezes when a
>fax is received or sent from Windows Fax. If you are sending a fax,
>you need to reboot, and then the fax completes normally. Any thoughts
>on what is causing this? The box has 512 MB of RAM.
>
>.... a few minutes later ....
>
>I just talked to the client, and they say the problem has gone away.
>They changed two things. Answer on the 2nd instead of first ring. And
>one of the fax configuration numbers had periods (xxx.xxx.xxxx) instead
>of dashes (xxx-xxx-xxxx). They changed them to dashes.
>
>Doubt the first thing is relevant, but make the second did the trick.
>Posting for the record.

They have a copy of WinFax Pro already, so that is the next step if the
problem comes back. Did your problem happen after updating the modem
drivers or before?

BrianEWilliams

I installed WinFax Pro 10.1 and that has mostly fixed the problem. The
secretary said it froze today as she closed a window and a fax arrived
simultaneously, but that was the only freeze in the last couple of
days.

BTW, when I looked in the Event Viewer before installin WFP, I saw a
couple of errors about MS Fax not receiving a fax properly, but it was
all greek to me.