MS Fax Console using Distinctive Ring

OS: Windows XP Media Center.
Using: Microsoft Fax Console Version 5.1
Modem: Agere Win Modem (internal; COM3)
Issue: I have one phone line with three distinctive rings. Can I configure
the fax console to only answer the double ring?
If so, how?
If not, what alternative do you recommend?
4 answers Last reply
More about console distinctive ring

    Xp does not support distinctive ring..
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272943

    For more on third party solutions, look at this one..

    http://www.modemsite.com/56k/dring.asp

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    "dJohn" <dJohn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > OS: Windows XP Media Center.
    > Using: Microsoft Fax Console Version 5.1
    > Modem: Agere Win Modem (internal; COM3)
    > Issue: I have one phone line with three distinctive rings. Can I configure
    > the fax console to only answer the double ring?
    > If so, how?
    > If not, what alternative do you recommend?

    I'm so tired and fed up with Microsoft upgrading stuff and leaving features
    out from the new version that they had in the old. Yesterday I learned that
    Publisher 2003 doesn't handle external files when publishing to a website
    (version 2000 did!).
    Now this!
    I appreciate your links to the "modemsite" article explaining how to rewrite
    the .inf file to accommodate ringmaster. But why doesn't MS simply fix the
    problem and release an updated driver?

    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Xp does not support distinctive ring..
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272943
    >
    > For more on third party solutions, look at this one..
    >
    > http://www.modemsite.com/56k/dring.asp
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >
    > "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have kept
    > it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
    >

    > "dJohn" <dJohn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > OS: Windows XP Media Center.
    > > Using: Microsoft Fax Console Version 5.1
    > > Modem: Agere Win Modem (internal; COM3)
    > > Issue: I have one phone line with three distinctive rings. Can I configure
    > > the fax console to only answer the double ring?
    > > If so, how?
    > > If not, what alternative do you recommend?

    If you contact the modem manufacturer or look on the installation CD
    supplied with it, there may be a program that will allow distinctive ring
    with XP.. BVRP software supplied with US Robotics modems, and others
    presumably, will allow it..

    --

    > I'm so tired and fed up with Microsoft upgrading stuff and leaving
    > features
    > out from the new version that they had in the old. Yesterday I learned
    > that
    > Publisher 2003 doesn't handle external files when publishing to a website
    > (version 2000 did!).
    > Now this!
    > I appreciate your links to the "modemsite" article explaining how to
    > rewrite
    > the .inf file to accommodate ringmaster. But why doesn't MS simply fix the
    > problem and release an updated driver?
    >
    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Xp does not support distinctive ring..
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272943
    >>
    >> For more on third party solutions, look at this one..
    >>
    >> http://www.modemsite.com/56k/dring.asp
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have
    >> kept
    >> it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
    >>

    >> "dJohn" <dJohn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > OS: Windows XP Media Center.
    >> > Using: Microsoft Fax Console Version 5.1
    >> > Modem: Agere Win Modem (internal; COM3)
    >> > Issue: I have one phone line with three distinctive rings. Can I
    >> > configure
    >> > the fax console to only answer the double ring?
    >> > If so, how?
    >> > If not, what alternative do you recommend?

    There are several commercial Fax packages that have their own Distinctive
    Ring support, overcoming the TAPI service limitation:

    http://www.faxtalk.com/
    FaxTalk Messenger Pro
    www.pigeonline.com
    Pigeon Mail n Fax

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

    "dJohn" <dJohn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm so tired and fed up with Microsoft upgrading stuff and leaving
    > features
    > out from the new version that they had in the old. Yesterday I learned
    > that
    > Publisher 2003 doesn't handle external files when publishing to a website
    > (version 2000 did!).
    > Now this!
    > I appreciate your links to the "modemsite" article explaining how to
    > rewrite
    > the .inf file to accommodate ringmaster. But why doesn't MS simply fix the
    > problem and release an updated driver?
    >
    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Xp does not support distinctive ring..
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272943
    >>
    >> For more on third party solutions, look at this one..
    >>
    >> http://www.modemsite.com/56k/dring.asp
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have
    >> kept
    >> it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
    >>

    >> "dJohn" <dJohn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > OS: Windows XP Media Center.
    >> > Using: Microsoft Fax Console Version 5.1
    >> > Modem: Agere Win Modem (internal; COM3)
    >> > Issue: I have one phone line with three distinctive rings. Can I
    >> > configure
    >> > the fax console to only answer the double ring?
    >> > If so, how?
    >> > If not, what alternative do you recommend?

Fax Consoles Microsoft Windows XP