  • Consoles
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
June 17, 2005 12:12:03 PM

OS: Windows XP Media Center.
Using: Microsoft Fax Console Version 5.1
Modem: Agere Win Modem (internal; COM3)
Issue: I have one phone line with three distinctive rings. Can I configure
the fax console to only answer the double ring?
If so, how?
If not, what alternative do you recommend?

More about : fax console distinctive ring

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 4:16:03 PM

Xp does not support distinctive ring..
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272943

For more on third party solutions, look at this one..

http://www.modemsite.com/56k/dring.asp

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

"dJohn" <dJohn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OS: Windows XP Media Center.
> Using: Microsoft Fax Console Version 5.1
> Modem: Agere Win Modem (internal; COM3)
> Issue: I have one phone line with three distinctive rings. Can I configure
> the fax console to only answer the double ring?
> If so, how?
> If not, what alternative do you recommend?
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 4:16:04 PM

I'm so tired and fed up with Microsoft upgrading stuff and leaving features
out from the new version that they had in the old. Yesterday I learned that
Publisher 2003 doesn't handle external files when publishing to a website
(version 2000 did!).
Now this!
I appreciate your links to the "modemsite" article explaining how to rewrite
the .inf file to accommodate ringmaster. But why doesn't MS simply fix the
problem and release an updated driver?

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Xp does not support distinctive ring..
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272943
>
> For more on third party solutions, look at this one..
>
> http://www.modemsite.com/56k/dring.asp
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have kept
> it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
>

> "dJohn" <dJohn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > OS: Windows XP Media Center.
> > Using: Microsoft Fax Console Version 5.1
> > Modem: Agere Win Modem (internal; COM3)
> > Issue: I have one phone line with three distinctive rings. Can I configure
> > the fax console to only answer the double ring?
> > If so, how?
> > If not, what alternative do you recommend?

June 17, 2005 6:19:59 PM

If you contact the modem manufacturer or look on the installation CD
supplied with it, there may be a program that will allow distinctive ring
with XP.. BVRP software supplied with US Robotics modems, and others
presumably, will allow it..

--

> I'm so tired and fed up with Microsoft upgrading stuff and leaving
> features
> out from the new version that they had in the old. Yesterday I learned
> that
> Publisher 2003 doesn't handle external files when publishing to a website
> (version 2000 did!).
> Now this!
> I appreciate your links to the "modemsite" article explaining how to
> rewrite
> the .inf file to accommodate ringmaster. But why doesn't MS simply fix the
> problem and release an updated driver?
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Xp does not support distinctive ring..
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272943
>>
>> For more on third party solutions, look at this one..
>>
>> http://www.modemsite.com/56k/dring.asp
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>
>> "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have
>> kept
>> it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
>>

>> "dJohn" <dJohn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > OS: Windows XP Media Center.
>> > Using: Microsoft Fax Console Version 5.1
>> > Modem: Agere Win Modem (internal; COM3)
>> > Issue: I have one phone line with three distinctive rings. Can I
>> > configure
>> > the fax console to only answer the double ring?
>> > If so, how?
>> > If not, what alternative do you recommend?

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 10:35:13 PM

There are several commercial Fax packages that have their own Distinctive
Ring support, overcoming the TAPI service limitation:

http://www.faxtalk.com/
FaxTalk Messenger Pro
www.pigeonline.com
Pigeon Mail n Fax