Printer icons missing/can't add printers

Somewhere along the way I lost all of my printer icons in the printer window.
If I click on Add Printer, nothing happens. The print spooler is running
and I am able to print in most cases. My printers will show in a drop-down
within other applications and I can print from most websites except from
certain websites (such as a boarding pass from Delta). I have loaded SP2 and
all Windows updates.

I'm having the same problem with XP SP2. Tried removing all printers and
reinstalling (using command line interface), but I still cannot see the
printers. I can add and delete printers (again using the command line), and
printing works, but the GUI interface is unusable. It's been suggested that
I attempt to do a Windows XP repair from the install CD, but I've been
hesitant since I fear that may have unwanted results.

If anyone knows of a better solution, I'd love to hear it.

"mpl405026" wrote:

> Somewhere along the way I lost all of my printer icons in the printer window.
> If I click on Add Printer, nothing happens. The print spooler is running
> and I am able to print in most cases. My printers will show in a drop-down
> within other applications and I can print from most websites except from
> certain websites (such as a boarding pass from Delta). I have loaded SP2 and
> all Windows updates.

The only other thing I would suggest at this point is a System Restore to
the point before this happened. However if it is a while ago, then I would
definitely try a Repair Installation of XP. Don't forget to reinstall SP2
after the Repair Installation.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"stevec59" <stevec59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having the same problem with XP SP2. Tried removing all printers and
> reinstalling (using command line interface), but I still cannot see the
> printers. I can add and delete printers (again using the command line),
> and
> printing works, but the GUI interface is unusable. It's been suggested
> that
> I attempt to do a Windows XP repair from the install CD, but I've been
> hesitant since I fear that may have unwanted results.
>
> If anyone knows of a better solution, I'd love to hear it.
>
> "mpl405026" wrote:
>
>> Somewhere along the way I lost all of my printer icons in the printer
>> window.
>> If I click on Add Printer, nothing happens. The print spooler is
>> running
>> and I am able to print in most cases. My printers will show in a
>> drop-down
>> within other applications and I can print from most websites except from
>> certain websites (such as a boarding pass from Delta). I have loaded SP2
>> and
>> all Windows updates.

FYI -- after a system restore, including reloading SP2, the problem is the
same. May just have to live with it for now. The solution may be more
painful than the problem itself.