Printer icons missing/can't add printers

Somewhere along the way I lost all of my printer icons in the printer window.
If I click on Add Printer, nothing happens. The print spooler is running
and I am able to print in most cases. My printers will show in a drop-down
within other applications and I can print from most websites except from
certain websites (such as a boarding pass from Delta). I have loaded SP2 and
all Windows updates.
3 answers Last reply
More about printer icons missing printers

    I'm having the same problem with XP SP2. Tried removing all printers and
    reinstalling (using command line interface), but I still cannot see the
    printers. I can add and delete printers (again using the command line), and
    printing works, but the GUI interface is unusable. It's been suggested that
    I attempt to do a Windows XP repair from the install CD, but I've been
    hesitant since I fear that may have unwanted results.

    If anyone knows of a better solution, I'd love to hear it.

    "mpl405026" wrote:

    > Somewhere along the way I lost all of my printer icons in the printer window.
    > If I click on Add Printer, nothing happens. The print spooler is running
    > and I am able to print in most cases. My printers will show in a drop-down
    > within other applications and I can print from most websites except from
    > certain websites (such as a boarding pass from Delta). I have loaded SP2 and
    > all Windows updates.

    The only other thing I would suggest at this point is a System Restore to
    the point before this happened. However if it is a while ago, then I would
    definitely try a Repair Installation of XP. Don't forget to reinstall SP2
    after the Repair Installation.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "stevec59" <stevec59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm having the same problem with XP SP2. Tried removing all printers and
    > reinstalling (using command line interface), but I still cannot see the
    > printers. I can add and delete printers (again using the command line),
    > and
    > printing works, but the GUI interface is unusable. It's been suggested
    > that
    > I attempt to do a Windows XP repair from the install CD, but I've been
    > hesitant since I fear that may have unwanted results.
    >
    > If anyone knows of a better solution, I'd love to hear it.
    >
    > "mpl405026" wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere along the way I lost all of my printer icons in the printer
    >> window.
    >> If I click on Add Printer, nothing happens. The print spooler is
    >> running
    >> and I am able to print in most cases. My printers will show in a
    >> drop-down
    >> within other applications and I can print from most websites except from
    >> certain websites (such as a boarding pass from Delta). I have loaded SP2
    >> and
    >> all Windows updates.

    FYI -- after a system restore, including reloading SP2, the problem is the
    same. May just have to live with it for now. The solution may be more
    painful than the problem itself.

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > The only other thing I would suggest at this point is a System Restore to
    > the point before this happened. However if it is a while ago, then I would
    > definitely try a Repair Installation of XP. Don't forget to reinstall SP2
    > after the Repair Installation.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "stevec59" <stevec59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm having the same problem with XP SP2. Tried removing all printers and
    > > reinstalling (using command line interface), but I still cannot see the
    > > printers. I can add and delete printers (again using the command line),
    > > and
    > > printing works, but the GUI interface is unusable. It's been suggested
    > > that
    > > I attempt to do a Windows XP repair from the install CD, but I've been
    > > hesitant since I fear that may have unwanted results.
    > >
    > > If anyone knows of a better solution, I'd love to hear it.
    > >
    > > "mpl405026" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Somewhere along the way I lost all of my printer icons in the printer
    > >> window.
    > >> If I click on Add Printer, nothing happens. The print spooler is
    > >> running
    > >> and I am able to print in most cases. My printers will show in a
    > >> drop-down
    > >> within other applications and I can print from most websites except from
    > >> certain websites (such as a boarding pass from Delta). I have loaded SP2
    > >> and
    > >> all Windows updates.

Printers Icons Windows XP