Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HD 7850/7870 and monitor sizes

Last response: in Video Games
September 23, 2012 2:26:28 PM

Hello,
I'm building a desktop to play racing games with Logitech G27 and play seats. (I don't play FPS games ever or other genre).
I'm going for an i-5 Ivey bridge non-overclocked processor with 8GB of RAM and a HD 7850 or the HD 7870 saphire graphic card.
Now, I checked the recommended config for the latest racing games and it looks like my comp will play any games easily.
The thing is I want to play these games maxed out (I want it to look as realistic as possible since I'll be playing using steering wheels and racing seats).
I want to know what is the maximum monitor size that I can play these games maxed out using HD 7850 or HD 7870 graphic card?

I have'nt decided between these two and I will not crossfire as the crossfire setup is costing me more then 600$ extra.

Right now I have the 24-inch Dell U2412M 16:10 monitor is my mind. I think even the HD 7850 is enough to play in ultra but what about a bigger screen? How big can I go ?

Please let me know for both these cards.

Thanks in advance.
September 24, 2012 11:46:19 AM

Its not about size its the resolution if a 22" monitor is 1920 x 1200 then its the same as a 42" @ 1920 x 1200.
September 24, 2012 12:13:06 PM

GODMODE09 said:
Hello,
I'm building a desktop to play racing games with Logitech G27 and play seats. (I don't play FPS games ever or other genre).
I'm going for an i-5 Ivey bridge non-overclocked processor with 8GB of RAM and a HD 7850 or the HD 7870 saphire graphic card.
Now, I checked the recommended config for the latest racing games and it looks like my comp will play any games easily.
The thing is I want to play these games maxed out (I want it to look as realistic as possible since I'll be playing using steering wheels and racing seats).
I want to know what is the maximum monitor size that I can play these games maxed out using HD 7850 or HD 7870 graphic card?

I have'nt decided between these two and I will not crossfire as the crossfire setup is costing me more then 600$ extra.

Right now I have the 24-inch Dell U2412M 16:10 monitor is my mind. I think even the HD 7850 is enough to play in ultra but what about a bigger screen? How big can I go ?

Please let me know for both these cards.

Thanks in advance.

He is right. You should check out resolution. Resolution is how many pixels the screen displays. The higher the resolution, the more strain on the video card. It is best since you wont be glued to the screen and will be slight back significantly.. Choose as big a screen with the LOWEST resolution. Its not the best.. But in terms of video card.. That thing will max out games for maybe 2.5~4 years say on a 1400x900 screen. If you want any recommendations just say!! And have fun :) 
Related resources
September 24, 2012 4:57:36 PM

I will be playing racing games with Logitech G27 steering wheels + play seats, so I want it to look as realistic as possible without having to spend more than HD 7870 2GB .
So I want to play the racing games maxed out. I'm pretty sure Dell U2412M 24-inch 1920x1200 will be handled easily by the graphic card.
I just want to know how far I can stretch this screen size without having to compromise on the visuals and smoothness of the game.

I personally think playing on one 24-inch with everything maxed out will be better than playing on 3-24-inch monitors with low visual settings to keep the game running smoothly. (Correct me if I'm wrong, as I have'nt tried both so far).

Nowadays, the cars in the games look so realistic and lowering the visuals / graphic setting to make it run on 3 monitors will take out that "wow" factor of the graphics.

PS : Also what is the maximum resolution HD 7850 and HD 7870 can run? I'll do some research on the screens based on this before I buy one. I tried searching AMD's website, but the specs have 2 or 3 max.resolutions for like HDMI,VGA,etc (I have no idea what it's all about).

Thanks in advance
September 24, 2012 6:46:11 PM

GODMODE09 said:
I will be playing racing games with Logitech G27 steering wheels + play seats, so I want it to look as realistic as possible without having to spend more than HD 7870 2GB .
So I want to play the racing games maxed out. I'm pretty sure Dell U2412M 24-inch 1920x1200 will be handled easily by the graphic card.
I just want to know how far I can stretch this screen size without having to compromise on the visuals and smoothness of the game.

I personally think playing on one 24-inch with everything maxed out will be better than playing on 3-24-inch monitors with low visual settings to keep the game running smoothly. (Correct me if I'm wrong, as I have'nt tried both so far).

Nowadays, the cars in the games look so realistic and lowering the visuals / graphic setting to make it run on 3 monitors will take out that "wow" factor of the graphics.

PS : Also what is the maximum resolution HD 7850 and HD 7870 can run? I'll do some research on the screens based on this before I buy one. I tried searching AMD's website, but the specs have 2 or 3 max.resolutions for like HDMI,VGA,etc (I have no idea what it's all about).

Thanks in advance

Well, SCREEN SIZE DOESNT MATTER. For you real guy yes.. But a video card NO. You should ask somewhere.. Google you video card and game and see. THEN you will know at which res the game can be maxed out 60+FPS. Then... Get a screen ANY SIZE YOU WANT.. But same res. You will get same perfomance.. But i think you will be happier because of the bigger display. I cant say this enough... ONLY RESOLUTION MATTERS TO A VIDEO CARD. And to expect to run at maybe 2 screen eyefinity.. dude u need a 7970 for max 60+ FPS. Have fun!
September 24, 2012 11:47:53 PM

This is what I found in the HD7870 Ghz edition specs:

Output Configuration
DVI: 1x Dual-Link DVI-I
HDMI: 1x version 1.4a
Mini DisplayPort: 2x version 1.2
HDCP ready: YES
RAMDAC: 400MHz
Maximum Resolution analog: 2048x1536 (via Dual-Link DVI to VGA adapter)
Maximum Resolution Single-Link DVI: 1920x1200
Maximum Resolution Dual-Link DVI: 2560x1600
Maximum Resolution HDMI 1.4a: 4096x3112
Maximum Resolution Mini DP 1.2: 4096x2160
Maximum Outputs Simultaneously: 4

-------------------------------------------

I am aware of the fact the I should consider the resolution instead of screen size now..
What I'm not sure is , there are 5 types of maximum resolution.
Can some1 tell me what is the maximum resolution that I can get in a single monitor using this card (lets say I buy a retina display monitor in 1 year , will I be able to get the full resolution ?

If I buy 2 Dell U2412M monitors with 1920x1200 resolutions each , can I work using both monitors at full resolution ??
(not to play games , but work .. will it lag ?

I don't know what analog / single-link DVI / HDMI / Mini DP is .. If u can tell me that I can search for an suitable monitor myself .

Thanks .

PS : just went through Dell website and they have a new 27-inch monitor with 1920x1080 resolution. Won't it look a bit dull when compared to a 22-inch of a same resolution ?

Best solution

September 25, 2012 9:15:21 AM

Analog is the older D shaped port sometimes known as VGA that has been around as long as I can remember. Single link DVI is a digital alternative and dual link DVI is the same port but uses all the pins instead of half to get more bandwidth for higher resolution. HDMI is the same as dvi but a different shaped plug that carries sound as well as picture and is common on consoles DVD players etc. Mini display port is a newer type of port that allows high resolutions. Different monitors support different inputs so you need one your card supports.
Dual monitors outside of gaming will not cause lag even with a very basic GPU.
A larger monitor with the same same resolution will have larger pixels so may not look as good close up but some people prefer a larger screen anyway.

September 25, 2012 1:54:02 PM

GODMODE09 said:
This is what I found in the HD7870 Ghz edition specs:

Output Configuration
DVI: 1x Dual-Link DVI-I
HDMI: 1x version 1.4a
Mini DisplayPort: 2x version 1.2
HDCP ready: YES
RAMDAC: 400MHz
Maximum Resolution analog: 2048x1536 (via Dual-Link DVI to VGA adapter)
Maximum Resolution Single-Link DVI: 1920x1200
Maximum Resolution Dual-Link DVI: 2560x1600
Maximum Resolution HDMI 1.4a: 4096x3112
Maximum Resolution Mini DP 1.2: 4096x2160
Maximum Outputs Simultaneously: 4

-------------------------------------------

I am aware of the fact the I should consider the resolution instead of screen size now..
What I'm not sure is , there are 5 types of maximum resolution.
Can some1 tell me what is the maximum resolution that I can get in a single monitor using this card (lets say I buy a retina display monitor in 1 year , will I be able to get the full resolution ?

If I buy 2 Dell U2412M monitors with 1920x1200 resolutions each , can I work using both monitors at full resolution ??
(not to play games , but work .. will it lag ?

I don't know what analog / single-link DVI / HDMI / Mini DP is .. If u can tell me that I can search for an suitable monitor myself .

Thanks .

PS : just went through Dell website and they have a new 27-inch monitor with 1920x1080 resolution. Won't it look a bit dull when compared to a 22-inch of a same resolution ?

Nop. Actually 72inch 1080p (Not 4K (4000p) is still beautiful)
September 25, 2012 4:58:18 PM

Thanks a lot guys.. The Dell U2412M has a refresh rate of ~60hz.. A friend of mine told me that to experience the full visuals at ultra setting in a game using a single monitor that HD 7850/7870 has to offer, I will need a 120hz monitor and if I use a 60hz monitor, there will be no difference between the visuals when I have HD7870 or a HD5870 ..

Is it true that a 60hz monitor can't play at more than 60FPS ?
I saw the benchmark reviews of the racing games I want to play (dirt3 @ 1920x1080 , ultra settings ) and the HD 5870 gives ~62FPS compared to HD 7850 which gives ~85FPs .. So if I use this monitor , there is no point going for this HD 7850 card if I'm going to play this game at this resolution??

I don't play shooting games , only racing games
September 25, 2012 5:27:31 PM

GODMODE09 said:
Thanks a lot guys.. The Dell U2412M has a refresh rate of ~60hz.. A friend of mine told me that to experience the full visuals at ultra setting in a game using a single monitor that HD 7850/7870 has to offer, I will need a 120hz monitor and if I use a 60hz monitor, there will be no difference between the visuals when I have HD7870 or a HD5870 ..

I saw the benchmark reviews of the racing games I want to play (dirt3 @ 1920x1080 , ultra settings ) and the HD 5870 gives ~62FPS compared to HD 7850 which gives ~85FPs .. So if I use this monitor , there is no point going for this HD 7850 card if I'm going to play this game at this resolution??

Well you see in racing games even 25 FPS is OK compared to a 25fps to 60fps difference. In FPS that's a big margin of fluidity. So if you go even 3 monitor (Not crazy resolution) you could MAYBE get a 40 FPS. Kinda long shot.. But if you get 3 LOW RES monitors (as maybe a 1440x900 19 or 17 inch) would be SPECTACULAR.. Even two for know.. Still nice. People do it on one screen. So you can see how many nice options you have. So I say... if you get maybe a 2x 17 inch monitors.. You could get a 40 FPS. And if you wanna go 3 monitors high res.. I have a solution. TURN THE SHADOWS DOWN OR OFF!! Please it kills your performance... NVIDIA or ATI. Just too much horsepower needed for a next to unnoticeable luxury.
September 25, 2012 7:58:01 PM

GODMODE09 said:

Yes a 60Hz monitor can only display 60 FPS but I assume the benchmarks you are looking at are average FPS not minimum so the 5870 may dip below it. If that is minimum FPS then there will be no difference if they can both maintain 60+ FPS.
October 2, 2012 7:28:19 AM

Best answer selected by GODMODE09.
!