Quieter cooling???

Bolec

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2002
First of all, I would like to say that my English is really poor (I'm writing from Switzerland), then that I don't know anything about fans, heatsinks, etc, (and you know what? I don't care a damn about them, after all the time I've spent on the Web to find the One!). I'm a simple medicine student, who wants a quiet cooler (to stop hitting my head against the walls, because of the noise), and who doesn't want to burn his PC (I would like to stay under 50 degrees). Help! I have an alpha pal 8045 (known as excellent), but 40db is too much for me! I search something not over 32db, and good enough to cool an XP 2100+. I don't want to overclock my monster, I don't play games which push the processor to its limits, I want Peace when I'm working, when I'm watching a film and when I'm playing to Warcraft (well, after my exams...). Am I asking too much?
Please answer me that there is such a cooler, that I can get it easily, I need something optimistic...
I have: XP 2100+, Asus A7V333, GF3 Ti200, etc, etc.
Just use simple words (you know, I'm a future psychiatrist...). Thanks!

Michel

Tomlin

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
One of the quiter fans on this page maybe? They are all db rated for your viewing pleasure.

<A HREF="http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_YS_Tech_Fans_60.html" target="_new">http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_YS_Tech_Fans_60.html</A>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I will keep it simple...

Keep your cooler. That is one of the best by far. As many here know that is my favorite. All you really need to do is change the fan. What temperatures are you getting now?

Look for one of these fans... I do not know what is available where you live, so I am giving you a few choices. I am ranking them based on performance in CFM/dBA. (m^3/dBA)

(Name - Model - CFM - dBA)

1. <A HREF="http://sanyodb.colle.co.jp/product_db_e/coolingfan/dcfan/dc_fan_detail.php?master_id=68" target="_new">Sanyo Denki (Petit Ace) - 109R0812H402 - 36.37CFM - 29dBA</A>

2. <A HREF="http://www.papst.de/pdf_dat_e/S17gb.pdf" target="_new">Papst(8400N Series) - 8412NM - 34.1CFM - 27dBA</A>

3. <A HREF="http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/appliance/pdf/fba08a.pdf" target="_new">Panasonic (Panaflo) - FBA08A12M1A - 32.1CFM - 28dBA</A>

There are more that are at the 32dBA level but I thought that I would show you fans that will do the job and will be quieter than what you specified as your maximum dBA level.

If you want more I will more than willing to help.

<b>"If I melt dry ice in a bathtub, can I take a bath without getting wet?" - Steven Wright</b>

Bolec

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2002
That's what I call an answer! Now, I'm going to search one of them in my "favourite" shops (most of the dealers said that I should get used to the noise!). If they don't have it, I'm going to France (1h by car). Thanks guys!
ps: If one day you need a doc when you are in Switzerland, you'll have one for 50%!!!
Michel

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
This may not be an option for you, but a Radeon 9000 doesn't have a fan. This will make it quieter as well.

Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not watching you.

CompIliterate

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't the higher the CFM the cooler your cpu will be? Given noise if not a factor in this senario. Will the three fans you mention earlier cool the AXP 1900+ to around 35 - 37 Celcius with Alpha 8045 not oc?

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
The Alpha is specified to do between 0.32C/W and 0.36C/W. So if the ambient temperature is around 75F/24C and the processor is putting out 60 Watts... those fans should be able to limit the temperatures to around 45C-47C.

Were you commenting on what I looked up for him or do you want to know for your own setup?

If for his setup...

All he specified was quiet and cool. All of those fans will do the job. Most people try to get below 50C and this should do it. :smile:

If for yours...

No, as per the reasons above. However there are other fans that could get you better results. But that is a new set criteria.

<b>"If I melt dry ice in a bathtub, can I take a bath without getting wet?" - Steven Wright</b>

CompIliterate

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
I'm looking for a setup for my system. My cpu temp never got below 40C unless it's winter time. As for the intake fans in the front of the PC, do they need to be mounted on the front screen or can I just set them down on the pc?

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
What do you mean "can I just set them down on the pc?"

Do you mean standing up on it's side and not attached to anything?

CompIliterate

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
What do you mean "can I just set them down on the pc?"

Do you mean standing up on it's side and not attached to anything?

"
Exactly, sorry my description wasn't clear. Yes, standing up on it's side and not attached to anything.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
You can set it wherever you want. The keys to air cooling are to...

1. get the most efficient airflow <b>through</b> the case.

2. get as many air molecules to bombard components as possible before leaving the case.

If you can acomplish these two principle you will cool as close to the ambient temperature as is possible. Eveything else falls under one of these two.

If directing air from the bottom of you case towards a component is what you are trying to do then yes it will help in some form.

Other than that I do not know how else to answer your question/comment.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
All the alphas have shrouds on them, don't they?

If it was any other cooler, I'd say get a really quiet 80mm fan, and buy one of those plastic adapters for $4.50. They work very well, require only a screwdriver, and can be installed in about 10 minutes.

Other than that, there's another option but it involves some tools. You can actually cut a hole in your side panel, and mount a very quiet 80mm fan blowing directly onto the cpu. Then use a resistor or a potentiometer to drop the rpm on the heatsink fan. That would involve about an hour, including cleanup.

What was that fairly kick ass cooler that you can buy for $5?

P4's @ 3600Mhz ()wNz J00 4LL!!!!!!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i dont know why people are so worried. if it doest crash its ok!!!!!!!!!
so with that bigass alpha 8045, rip out that loud fan and put in a nice quiet 80mm panflo or enermax.

<b><font color=blue>I prefer to blend into the background, because it's much easier to sneak up on people and disembowel them that way. Arr!</b></font color=blue>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
That's what I was saying, but I dunno exactly how the shrouds are mounted. If there's 4 screws holding that fan to the shroud, then you're in business.

A credit card, and $13 + shipping/handling, and you can drop that fan down to 32dB or less...

P4's @ 3600Mhz ()wNz J00 4LL!!!!!!

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I like that response. (As <font color=green><b>Fatburger</b></font color=green> always said, "Don't step in the sarcasm.")

It has a bracket but that can be removed and you can use a few sheet metal screws to attach a grill. So you can attach any size fan your heart desires. (Note: Just pick a grill that is the size of the fan.) The bracket is good for flow coercion but is not "needed."

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
He have visited a few times... I haven't talked to him in about a month. (Well except for the Memory FAQ update.) But that was more of a one-sided convesation.

mullen1100

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2002
Few things. HIGHER CFM the more cool correct. What is the CFM I need for a 1.6 amd athlon xp. Getting kinda hot int he comp. Vid card was on fire! (not literly but it was VERY warm). Does a fan include a heatsink. (Im assuming not). Do I just need to know the heatsink size to get a new fan. Im getting all this from ebay. hehe. Thanks much people. (if you respond try to answer as many of them as you can. Peace out!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
sure the vid card will get hot.
but if it doesnt crash, dont worry.

Higher CFM does mean better cooling (to a point)
but also alot more noise.
With the XP1600+ you can get by with a very slow fan, provided the HS is of decent size.

<b> :cool: I :smile: think :frown: I'm :redface: addicted :wink: to :eek: these :mad: ever :eek: so :tongue: cute :cool: smiley :lol: faces! :wink: </b>

mullen1100

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2002
actually its an AMD 1900. And my heatsink Is pretty small. It just is a bit larger in perimeter than my processor. I got an 8 dollar fan lol. Didnt realize it really mattered what kind of fan. wasnt expecting noise problems. thanks.

mullen1100

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2002
lemme get this right. a new fan comes with a new heatsink. t he larger the fan the larger the heatsink (My heatsink gets pretty damn warm right now). Im using a amd 1900 and looking to buy a new fan/heatsink from ebay. a bit short on cash. Bummed that I need a new monitor for a 3d set. SO I guess I cant get it. Alright thanks!

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
That is not always the case. Most do but you can order them without the fan. What heatsink do you currently have on you Athlon?

<font color=red><b>Come to the <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=45775#45775" target="_new">THG Gathering/LAN party</A>