Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Hi I'm interested in OC my processor, but am unsure on how to wisely go about it. I noticed that several of the other categories have FAQ posts. Maybe this would be a good thing to have here. I don't want to aske the same questions that have been answered a thousand times before, but here goes. I have an Tbird 266 1.4 and a soyo dragon with the KT266 chipset (not 266a). I noticed in the bios that there is no mutiplier setting. There is a setting for seting your fsb in 1 mhz increments. What is the best way to go about making it "go just a little bit faster".

Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not watching you.

G

What is the best way to go about making it "go just a little bit faster".
: that's for nothing. let it die. or teach yourself seriously with overclocking.

i've plugged my home blower to my case ... dunno what happen ... that works?!?

G

:lol:

the question is yours, not mine.

i've plugged my home blower to my case ... dunno what happen ... that works?!?

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
What I mean is I do not understand waht you were trying to say. The translation into english must be wrong....
": that for free"???
What's for free? Is free a supersecret overclocker acronym that I've not learned yet. Please...if you respond to a post on a forum try to be helpful. Posts like " learn it yourself" are not. I do have questions. That's why I'm here. to learn more about things I not familiar with yet. It's always good to get the advice of more experienced people before you try something new. I'm not going to "forge ahead" with my overclocking without being armed with the best roadmap I could get before I started. So I am trying to educate myself..."seriously". Asking questions is not a crime.

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
I have the same CPU and have had it above 1700Mhz although somewhat unstable.
The first thing is preparing and updating the hardware a little.
I do not know your mainboard but I could guess at saying the Multiplier settings are adjustable by little jumper shunts on pins onboard and it is running DDR memory, best to download the manual from the manufactures website if you do not have it, while you are there you might as well get the latest Bios flash for the Mainboard as that may allow you to do all your settings in the Bios.

A half decent HSF will be handy such as a Thermaltake Volcano7+, decent memory modules like PC2700 from Crucial, Corsair, mushkin even samsung. etc. A quality PSU such as an Enermax 350 or 430Watt is a must for overclocking.

Overclocking is like a girl thats very hard to get! Well almost, o/Cing is easier to control and won't nag, but both can burn your money when it all goes wrong. :lol: I digress some.
Anyway overclocking is a little bit at a time, increasing settings and voltages to keep it stable in the smallest increases possible. When it becomes unstable its just a matter of backing off the settings. The other important factor is heat, keep an eye on CPU and system temperatures.
The trick is to keep the voltages as low as stability will allow while staying in that "sweet spot" as I like to call it :wink: . Massive overclocks are for the foolhardy and the rich so don't be sucked into the big ego competition. It may even work out cheaper just to upgrade the CPU in the end!

Could you provide a better description of your baord and system, ram type you know the drill.

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new">A better place to be</A> :wink:

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Thanks scott...now lets get started...
My setup:
SOYO Dragon MOBO (kt266 chipset)
256 MB pc2100 crucila DDR
256 MB pc 2400 Corsair XMS DDR
AMD 1.4 Tbird 266 fsb
stock cooler
No pci cards
PNY Geforce 3 card
400 watt PS. Sorry but I don't know the brand.

I did download a new bios version and now I can adjust the multiplier from the bios screen. So far I've been able to hold the system stable at 1550 mhz. 1700 sounds pretty ambitious. That would be sweet, but I think I'll shoot for around 1650. I think I'm going to need a better cooler though. Right now my temps are around 60-62 degrees under full load. I've noticed that at about 63 I start to see instabilities. One big question I had is how does adjusting the FSB effect the components connected ot the pci bus? THe fsb supplies the clock timing for the PCI, right? Will my sound chip start producing artifacts? Will my network chip drop data? Does the front side bus speed effect the bandwith of the RAM? Does this extra bandwidth help with overall data crunching (FPS)?

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Is that Crucila ram? (not Crucial is it?) The PC2100 module will be a limiting factor for increasing the fsb, I have 2 Crucial 256Mb PC2100 sticks and at best I could get to 138FSB stable with them. Those CPU temps are a tad too high.lol, back off until you get the new cooler installed with ASIII thermal paste and NO THERMAL PAD either, be careful installing a heavy HSF on that CPU core as they are notorious for loosing a piece of the core and making it unusable.
63C sounds right for it to become unstable and fits with what mine did.

One big question I had is how does adjusting the FSB effect the components connected ot the pci bus? THe fsb supplies the clock timing for the PCI, right? Will my sound chip start producing artifacts? Will my network chip drop data? Does the front side bus speed effect the bandwith of the RAM? Does this extra bandwidth help with overall data crunching (FPS)?
FSB overclocks will stress the hardware more, you also could experience glitches and lockups from PCI cards and chip-sets depending on how good they are made.
I personally don't like overclocking the FSB much as I have shortened the life and killed many pieces of hardware by doings so, this is the risk you take for a slightly higher bandwidth $$$$.

I found my CPU ran best at 1596Mhz ~12x 133fsb~ with just multiplier and Vcore settings alone (CPU Temp below 50C at 100% usage) as this only O/C's the CPU and 1 voltage setting, but it really is a matter of choice what you do whether it is for gaming or for just bragging rights. Overclocking is different in each case depending on the hardware, some Mobo's are better than others and the same can be said for the rest of the hardware.

Here is a link to the SOYO website, can you tell me which one it is please? <A HREF="http://www.soyousa.com/products/select.php?proc=Proc_AMD_Thunderbird" target="_new">http://www.soyousa.com/products/select.php?proc=Proc_AMD_Thunderbird</A>

<A HREF="http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=37" target="_new">Is it this one</A> or <A HREF="http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=108" target="_new"> this one</A> with raid?

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new">A better place to be</A> :wink: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty35 on 09/11/02 11:39 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Here is a link to the SOYO website, can you tell me which one it is please?
My MOBO is the Dragon K7V w/ raid. Also, yeah I mistyped, the ram is crucial. I do have a stick of the Corsair XMS in there as well. Its supposedly rated to 2400. What FSB does this theoretically allow my to go to?
Those CPU temps are a tad too high.lol, back off until you get the new cooler installed with ASIII thermal paste and NO THERMAL PAD either, be careful installing a heavy HSF on that CPU core as they are notorious for loosing a piece of the core and making it unusable.
I ordered a Volcano 7+ yesterday. I also got a syringe of that Arctic silver 3 goo, and some round IDE cables to help the air flow. Last night was a hot one in NY. I put the side of my case on to get a base line temperature before my new cooling solution gets here. It got up to 65 degrees!!! Next summer I am installing an air conditioner!!! Also, I've heard that its a good idea to lap the contact surface of the cooler. I work in a lab where we polish surfaces regularly. I could grind it down to a mirror finish. THe principle seems to be sound...what do you think about that?
I personally don't like overclocking the FSB much as I have shortened the life and killed many pieces of hardware by doings so, this is the risk you take for a slightly higher bandwidth $$$$.

I think I may have experienced that already. Earlier this year I tried to OC my system by changing the fsb alone. I got it up to about 144 mhz and rturned everything to default a few days later. A short time after this my RAM from Corsair started having issues and then died. They, of course, replaced it, but it seemed like an eerie coincidence to me. So I think you are right...I'll just stick to the multiplier. This is good stuff...thanks for you help so far.