Can't change fax device

I am trying to set up sending faxes from XP. I have used the set up wizard,
but it only sees my old dial up modem - not my BT broadband. I can not find
anyway to set up the fax wizard so it sees and chooses the broadband. Any
ideas?
2 answers Last reply
More about change device

    Your broadband connection is digital. Your old dial up modem is analog.
    You cannot fax through a digital connection.

    If you need to send a fax, you need your old analog telephone line... or you
    can use an online fax service.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Peter Walter" <PeterWalter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to set up sending faxes from XP. I have used the set up
    >wizard,
    > but it only sees my old dial up modem - not my BT broadband. I can not
    > find
    > anyway to set up the fax wizard so it sees and chooses the broadband. Any
    > ideas?

    Unlike most dial-up modems, a broadband modem is not capable
    of connecting to fax machines, so you cannot send or receive faxes
    directly.
    In order to send and receives faxes, you'll need a conventional fax modem
    with a live telephone line attached. You cannot use broadband unless you
    use a web-base fax service, such as eFax:
    http://www2.efax.com/en/efax/twa/page/homePage?rqcp=1

    Or consider purchasing a regular fax machine and connect it to your phone
    line.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Peter Walter" wrote:

    | I am trying to set up sending faxes from XP. I have used the set up wizard,
    | but it only sees my old dial up modem - not my BT broadband. I can not find
    | anyway to set up the fax wizard so it sees and chooses the broadband. Any
    | ideas?

Broadband Fax Dial Up Connection Devices Windows XP