K6 2/500?

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Hi,

I have a K6 2/500 CPU installed on a Jetway J531CF board with 1x256MB pc133 and 1x128MB PC133 memory modules installed, I would like to give this thing a boost and I was wondering what is it capable of and what would be the best settings to allow this setup to perform. I recently installed the 256MB ram in addition to the 128MB stick and it only reconises it as 256MB?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new">A better place to be</A> :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The board supports all K6-2's, you made need the latest BIOS for it to recognize them, but a 500 will work at 5x100 even with the old BIOS. You can get late BIOS and manuals from www.jetway.com.tw

You're probably limitted to 128 megabit chips on the modules, which means a 256k module would be 16-chip double-sided, 8 chips per side. If this is the problem, modules of higher density will show up as a smaller size. For instance, an 8 chip single sided 256MB module would only show up as 128MB, and a 4 chip 256MB module as a miniscule 64MB.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Thanks Crash, seems I caught myself out with the ram. :frown: Yes the 128MB stick is single sided while the 256MB stick is double sided and hence the 256MB showing up on boot. So if I removed the single sided 128mb stick it will still show up as 256MB, and if I replaced the same removed ram with a double sided stick it should increase?

In the boards Bios I noticed these fsb settings, 66,75,100 with 66 being selected AFAIK.
I also noticed Voltage settings for the CPU, 2.2, 2.5, 2.?.
unfortunately the PC has slipped out of my hands for a week in which time I will get the manual from Jetway and see If I can make sense of it, thanks again ol'man... :smile:

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new">A better place to be</A> :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The site has the manual, as far as the RAM prob, might be a 256MB limit?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>