Need help building a gaming desktop.

LastAct

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
Hello, I am new to this site because i need some help building a desktop that can play battlefield 3 in ultra settings making sure its not to laggy, and play dayZ the mod for Arma 2 in very high settings. If possible. Please send links to things I can order. maybe parts from newegg or so. I hope someone can help me on this. The price im looking is around 500-1.000$.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($247.86 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($46.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($21.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $916.76
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-24 00:03 EDT-0400)

Thanks was trying to keep the bill low as possible but not skimp to hard that way he have quality assurance +the build for his desires and then some those are not bad suggestions though ;)

I definitly agree on the HDD part, Seagates burn down for me in under 6 months.
Since i got my Samsung spinpoints, they have been working over two years, and so far no issues.

Id also go nVidia, but thats jsut cus with ATI i normally had more driver stability issues >D.

o.k. so here is if you wanted to go with the 660 TI and i changed the drive to since these fellas have had bad luck with them Seagates no point in you risking going though that

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($307.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($46.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($21.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $965.44
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-24 05:32 EDT-0400)

I'd second AMD graphics having driver stability issues - I use a Radeon currently (last one I ever buy) and about half the driver updates I've installed for it made Windows 7 blue screen every time it booted - had to use system restore. Unprofessional too - until recently, you had to choose custom install if you didn't want it to install a free trial of Lord of the Rings Online for you. Ads during install also. And really inconsistent performance in games, and rendering glitches. And using anti-aliasing in modern games makes everything ultra-blurry. That's a Radeon 5970 by the way - not latest and greatest but certainly not ancient. So definitely go with nVidia!

As for hard disk manufacturers, I also have a s***list, but Western Digital would be the worst offender for reliability. Seagate would be my top recommendation. I've had generally good experiences with Samsungs and Hitachis but many others haven't - IBM Hitachi Deskstars used to be known as Deathstars. So I'm afraid no HDD manufacturer is a totally safe bet! Though Samsung is probably one of the safer choices. You could add a fast 120GB SSD for <$100 for Windows and software load time performance and rock solid reliability for your important documents.

Well, i have to admit that i used to keep my seagates 24/7 dling free to play games, but so did my samsungs. Normally after about 3-4 power outs at my home the seagates were dead. On the Samsung side, those have outlasted my monitor when it comes to the power outs, so i simply belive they are more fail proof.

lol my bad i have not looked into those cards i am still drooling over the Asus 670 Top wish i could find one in stock I would be all over that Asus 670 TOP for its high factory overclock, cool temps, and really, really quiet fans.heavily modified PCB, with an efficient VRM design to produce low temperatures, improved voltage regulation circuitry, much better Chil controller , specially binned chip and voltage control and monitoring support that you won't find on most other non-reference cards. It looks aggressive to me and indeed is a monster let's keep it on the real not only does it violently murder the R7950 it also beats the crap out most of the other 670 cards and it does it without even breaking a sweat!Those are some of the reasons TechPoweUp gives the 670 TOP an 10.0 rating, the only 10.0 rating ever
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670_Direct_Cu_II/33.html

Quote :

"Overall the ASUS GTX 670 Direct CU II is the best card I ever tested.I simply can't find anything wrong with it." :eek: I have personally had the pleasure of using this card my friend has it and when i was gaming with the 670 TOP for the three days i had it i was like

Uploaded with ImageShack.us :lol:

o.k. so here we go with a 670 in the build let me tell you a little bit about this beast!MSI Power Edition Architecture Boosts Overclocking Potential by 22.5%
The MSI GTX 670 Power Edition graphics card is based on the MSI Power Edition architecture: Afterburner's Triple Overvoltage allows the GPU, Memory and PLL(Aux) voltages to be adjusted. The Enhanced PWM design provides 25% more current than the reference design to ensure high stability during overclocking.

Twin Frozr IV: 20°C Cooler and 11.7dB Quieter than Reference Board
The MSI GTX 670 Power Edition is equipped with MSI's latest Twin Frozr IV Thermal Design. MSI's exclusive Dust Removal technology automatically reverses the fans at startup to prevent dust build-up dust and optimize the cooling module's ability to dissipate heat.

Patented Propeller Blade technology provides 20% more air flow over conventional fans and increases the effective cooling area. When combined with dual 8 cm temperature-controlled fans, SuperPipe technology, and a nickel-plated copper base, temperatures are effectively reduced by up to 20°C and noise by 11.7dB!

MSI's GTX 670 Power Edition uses the famous Twin Frozr IV cooler from the MSI Lightning and comes with a large clock speed boost out of the box, making its default clock speed even higher than GTX 680 stock clocks. MSI is asking a $30 price premium for their card, which doesn't look unreasonable, given the improved cooling and higher clocks.The MSI GTX 670 Power Edition = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djj7jW6ny2M&feature=related it's one bad mofo lol. Sorry it is a bit over budget but well worth it imo but you decide

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ CompUSA)
Total: $1009.90
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-24 06:16 EDT-0400)

fat-chunk

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
You didn't include a case, meaning this will be quite a bit over budget.

I would say drop the aftermarket heatsink (as long as you dont plan on overclocking. If you do you can save up for one later), and opt for a cheaper GTX 670 if you want to stay under $1000.
The MSI will provide its benefits, but they aren't essential and not worth going over budget if you're strapped for cash.