Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC Gaming System Requirements

Last response: in Video Games
September 24, 2012 3:42:53 AM

Hi. I was wondering why the desktop/laptop/notebook, etc. hardware requirements for PC gaming are so high? I mean, what's the big deal of it all? I know it sounds like a stupid question but, in truth it is rather just outright ridiculous on how the hardware must be super high performance in most cases these days just to play a PC game like Saints Row The 3rd especially on a laptop or any other PC games out there today especially the good ones.
a b D Laptop
September 24, 2012 5:02:55 AM

Not really? A PC built for $500 will play all games today. Of course, you'll have to reduce settings on very demanding ones (like Witcher 2, Battlefield 3 or Metro 2033).

As for laptops: they are expensive and very slow in general. A PC for $700 will be twice as powerful as $1000 laptop.
m
l
September 24, 2012 9:36:28 AM

Id say its a bit hard to explain.
There are games that are not optimized for pcs from console ports. In those cases the companies just want to be on the safer side.

In PC games, you also have to take into consideration side programs and OS. Noone knows if you have 20 other programs running as well while you play, what version of the drivers you have... so in a few words, its actually very hard to guess the "real minimum requirements" of a game.
m
l
Related resources
September 24, 2012 10:20:39 AM

i think the point he is making is that if you go out today and buy a mid range desktop/laptop from a vendor like currys/dixons etc. youve got more chaance of being able to platt fog in a meaningfull way than you have of playing bf3 in a meaningfull way without first going out and spending a further £100 or so on a graphics card and the lads got a point if you buy a pc new from a store why should they have such poor graphics? im with him
m
l
a b D Laptop
September 24, 2012 10:22:44 AM

^

Because shops like to scam people? :lol:  I bet if they could, they would take graphics out of Xbox as well...
m
l
September 25, 2012 3:39:22 AM

Yeah, see, I was jsut wondering about these things because people say that when a laptop is running say Diablo 3, well, the machine will overheat cause of all the heat and etc, etc. etc., and I'm just like the n what's the point in having any laptop play any PC games if this is just one issue along with a ton of others like the system requirements. I guess it just frustrates me cause I want to play my games on the go and I just really think and believe I should not have to spend thousands for a laptop that isn't worth the money I pay for to just get below average performance even with the latest and greatest of Intel CPUs, AMD CPUs, HDDs, RAMs, etc. etc. You know what I mean? It's like there's no guarantee that any laptop out there in existence today will play any games like The Witcher 2, Saints Row The 3rd, Diablo 3, etc. I'm sad now because of these things. Man this just sucks and I really like playing PC games. IS there anyone that can feel my pain? BTW, I love the info everyone has given so far cause I knew this was the place to get really good answers from the pros :D  This last comment above me is funny :D  hahaha
m
l
September 25, 2012 4:24:43 AM

Sounds like you didn't purchase the right laptop. If you want to game on a laptop, it's important to get the right one with all the hardware you want at the start. You can't add to laptops like a desktop.
m
l
September 25, 2012 12:53:23 PM

yeah, but I thought all laptops can be upgraded to whatever fits in it. I mean, I read about these things and hear about them as well. Like the barbones notebooks.
m
l
September 25, 2012 1:31:23 PM

thepowerbehindthescenes said:
yeah, but I thought all laptops can be upgraded to whatever fits in it. I mean, I read about these things and hear about them as well. Like the barbones notebooks.

You thought wrong. Only a select few have any ability to be upgraded. The select few include some of Alienware's gaming laptops. If it is not stated that it can be upgraded, it can't.
m
l
September 25, 2012 2:12:18 PM

Always amazes me how some people seems to think that manufacturers can wave the magic technology shrinking wand and get the same performance, in something a tenth of the size, for half the money.

The real world ratio is more like half the performance for four times the money. Which is why at LAN parties, people haul several KGs of metal around the country ... and not a laptop.
m
l
September 25, 2012 2:13:47 PM

Unfortunatelly most laptops are not upgradable. The main problem with overheating is that the cases of the laptops are not designed well enought (as in they have the same cooling system for diffrent setups that definitly will generate diffrent ammounts of heat.

In my case i bought a downgraded version of a gaming laptop to avoid this issue as well as power supply possible problems (my PSU is 180W while my laptop wont go over 163W, giving it more lifespan).

As for minimum requirements of laptops... those are not even supported in theory.

I normally check on notebookcheck.net for info regarding cpu/gpu on laptops and how well they can run things, but its still a loterry due to the drivers that you will have.

Unfortunatelly laptops are far more expensive due to the fact that the componenets must be better quality than on regular computers, as they can survive temperatures up to 100 C.

As an example, my gaming laptop costed me 1267 Euros...
m
l
September 26, 2012 4:49:20 AM

Ok, check this out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
What do you guys think of this laptop? Do you guys think it'll play Diablo 3, Torchlight 1 & 2, Saints Row The 3rd, The Witcher 2, Star Wars The Old Republic 2 Sith Lords, Darksiders, Prototype 1 & 2, Call Of Duty 1, 2, 3, Black Ops 1 & 2?

You have to actually look at gaming laptops for a chance. That has an integrated GPU, from Intel. That has no prayer at playing recent games.
m
l
September 26, 2012 6:55:39 PM

I don't know a lot about what is best in the mobile side of things, but I found this, which suggests the 570m is the faster graphics card, in the above list of laptops. However, the 660m isn't far behind: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=...

The one with the 660m has the more efficient CPU as it is the IB platform.

The 2nd and 3rd laptop seems to be the better of the three and will game reasonably well.
m
l
September 27, 2012 12:58:26 AM

The second and third one are actually quite good. I am genuinely surprised. Either of those would be good for your uses.
m
l
September 28, 2012 7:26:29 PM

Can Battlefield 3 be played on any of these laptops? I just bought the game for 10$. :) 
m
l
September 28, 2012 7:30:32 PM

Can Battlefield 3 be played on any of these laptops? I just bought the game for 10$. :) 

Yes. Here is a video that is getting 60fps at high settings using a 720p resolution using a 660m (which the last laptop you listed has). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aE_SsjfaQc

Depending on the resolution and settings, performance will vary.
m
l
September 28, 2012 8:04:37 PM

How did you get BF3 for $10? I'm curious.
m
l
September 29, 2012 6:01:51 PM

Gamestop had the download on sale the other day for 10$. It lasted like two days & now it's not on sale. The sale was for only in North America & the UK. It started like midnight Thursday night and lasted until sometime yesterday. I think it was good deal since it was a 40$ game.

m
l
September 29, 2012 6:04:40 PM

If I get that MSI laptop, how can I let you guys know if all of my games work really well on it? Just wondering cause I don't know how to post that stuff on here. I'll get the best one I listed and try that one and see if my games will play. I also got Resident Evil 5 for 10$ too :) 
m
l
September 29, 2012 9:25:08 PM

Send me a personal message on here if you want.
m
l
October 6, 2012 1:47:50 PM

bystander said:
Yes. Here is a video that is getting 60fps at high settings using a 720p resolution using a 660m (which the last laptop you listed has). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aE_SsjfaQc

Depending on the resolution and settings, performance will vary.

What about the other games I listed? I think this laptop will play the rest of them, maybe? It should it has a lot of power.
m
l

Best solution

October 6, 2012 3:13:36 PM

What about the other games I listed? I think this laptop will play the rest of them, maybe? It should it has a lot of power.

I'll say it again, the one with the 570m should score slightly better. I would stick to the ones with the 660m or the 570m.
!