Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Computers
  • Games
  • CPUs
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
September 24, 2012 12:18:08 PM

When do you think will games gonna use more than 4 cores.. Because I want to buy a new computer and I want it for 5 years WITHOUT CPU Upgrade. So... When will it gonna use more than 4 cores AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE?! Thanks!!

More about : cpu cores

a b à CPUs
September 24, 2012 12:24:14 PM

Never. There isn't enough separate tasks in games for CPU to be processed on more separate cores.
Score
a c 104 à CPUs
September 24, 2012 12:29:40 PM

Some games already can use over 4 cores just not many. In 5 years who knows but I suspect a top end i5 will start to struggle if you want to max out games, but I think it would still be OK for high settings if you overclock it. Like a 2007 core 2 duo is today. If you got a 6 core sandy bridge E it may last an extra year before it struggles which I don't think really justifies the price.
Score
Related resources
September 24, 2012 12:51:32 PM

simon12 said:
Some games already can use over 4 cores just not many. In 5 years who knows but I suspect a top end i5 will start to struggle if you want to max out games, but I think it would still be OK for high settings if you overclock it. Like a 2007 core 2 duo is today. If you got a 6 core sandy bridge E it may last an extra year before it struggles which I don't think really justifies the price.

I have a core 2 duo thats why i am upgrading.. So i am taking your answer with a grain of salt :kaola: 
Score
September 24, 2012 1:15:32 PM

Speculatively, we are only really just seeing quad cores beginning to become mainstream and in turn game developers designing their engines to make use of it. the majority of people-installing-games are still using dual cores.

Generally speaking, game developers will only optimise their games for 6+ cores when the majority of customers own 6+ core processors.

Sure there are people like DICE who will make games that you can ramp up so high they will melt even the latest and great hardware ... but in the vast majority of cases devs will make games a lot of people can play. A £35 game isn't very appealing if you need to spend £500 to play it.

If I had a C2D I wouldn't be worrying about it, I'd be looking at my GPU which in most games has a lot more to do with performance.
Score
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2012 1:33:12 PM

Many developers have mentioned that to use more than 2-3 cores in a game effectively takes a ton more work than just using 2-3 cores. CPU support for gaming is not easily split beyond 3 cores, as a result, you will likely not see a lot of games using more than that for some time. When we reach a point that the only way to get the performance they need out of the CPU is to use more than cores, you can expect a lot of recycled game engines, as most dev's don't have the skill to make use of more than 3 cores.
Score

Best solution

September 24, 2012 4:27:33 PM

yep there aren't any games that fully utilize more than 3 cores so a 4 core processor is a good idea.

I really like my 8 core bulldozer and yes i know it over kill for gaming but it gives me the flex-ability to do more listen to music have FRAPS open and be playing Arma or bf3(but constrains me to a desktop :p ).
September 24, 2012 10:56:20 PM

imagine this game that will use more than 4 cores :o 
Score
October 2, 2012 11:45:17 AM

Best answer selected by ProVisionOman.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2012 4:59:16 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!