XP Fax wizard will not preview or send a fax message

Wizard hangs when I try to preview my Fax and does zippo when I select finish
to send. Fax monitor dosen't appear either so I would assume my Motorola
modem card is not even being seized. If I skip the preview and press finish
to send, wizard doesn't hang but it doesn't send either just vanishes!
23 answers Last reply
More about wizard preview send message

    There are many causes for this problem. Most often, this problem arises
    because some other imaging application that you installed has set itself as
    the default viewer for TIF files. To view or preview faxes from the Fax
    Console, the Windows Imaging and Fax viewer must be your default viewer for
    TIF files. You can easily restore that setting in Windows Explorer > Folder
    Options. File Types. For most users the command line should read:

    "rundll32.exe <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1"

    Another common cause of this problem is firewall software Trojan horse
    rules. The most common is one that ships with Norton Internet Security.
    Details on that on are available here:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/4a29389c214c78ea88256c75005f451a/713afacbd4135e0a88256c77007e526f?OpenDocument

    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Wizard hangs when I try to preview my Fax and does zippo when I select
    > finish
    > to send. Fax monitor dosen't appear either so I would assume my Motorola
    > modem card is not even being seized. If I skip the preview and press
    > finish
    > to send, wizard doesn't hang but it doesn't send either just vanishes!

    Thx Russ, first off I do not run Norton, I have Avast however the XP firewall
    is enabled. I get as far as the folder options and file types boxes but how
    do I access the command line to check that? Don't see anything else to click
    on except "advanced" which brings up a edit file type box. Am I even in the
    correct ballpark? LOL
    Gary

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > There are many causes for this problem. Most often, this problem arises
    > because some other imaging application that you installed has set itself as
    > the default viewer for TIF files. To view or preview faxes from the Fax
    > Console, the Windows Imaging and Fax viewer must be your default viewer for
    > TIF files. You can easily restore that setting in Windows Explorer > Folder
    > Options. File Types. For most users the command line should read:
    >
    > "rundll32.exe <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1"
    >
    > Another common cause of this problem is firewall software Trojan horse
    > rules. The most common is one that ships with Norton Internet Security.
    > Details on that on are available here:
    > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/4a29389c214c78ea88256c75005f451a/713afacbd4135e0a88256c77007e526f?OpenDocument
    >

    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Wizard hangs when I try to preview my Fax and does zippo when I select
    > > finish
    > > to send. Fax monitor dosen't appear either so I would assume my Motorola
    > > modem card is not even being seized. If I skip the preview and press
    > > finish
    > > to send, wizard doesn't hang but it doesn't send either just vanishes!

    The "Advanced" button should show you a list of verbs defined for TIF files.
    Is the"Open" verb defined?
    --
    > Thx Russ, first off I do not run Norton, I have Avast however the XP
    > firewall
    > is enabled. I get as far as the folder options and file types boxes but
    > how
    > do I access the command line to check that? Don't see anything else to
    > click
    > on except "advanced" which brings up a edit file type box. Am I even in
    > the
    > correct ballpark? LOL
    > Gary
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    >> There are many causes for this problem. Most often, this problem arises
    >> because some other imaging application that you installed has set itself
    >> as
    >> the default viewer for TIF files. To view or preview faxes from the Fax
    >> Console, the Windows Imaging and Fax viewer must be your default viewer
    >> for
    >> TIF files. You can easily restore that setting in Windows Explorer >
    >> Folder
    >> Options. File Types. For most users the command line should read:
    >>
    >> "rundll32.exe <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen
    >> %1"
    >>
    >> Another common cause of this problem is firewall software Trojan horse
    >> rules. The most common is one that ships with Norton Internet Security.
    >> Details on that on are available here:
    >> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/4a29389c214c78ea88256c75005f451a/713afacbd4135e0a88256c77007e526f?OpenDocument
    >>

    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Wizard hangs when I try to preview my Fax and does zippo when I select
    >> > finish
    >> > to send. Fax monitor dosen't appear either so I would assume my
    >> > Motorola
    >> > modem card is not even being seized. If I skip the preview and press
    >> > finish
    >> > to send, wizard doesn't hang but it doesn't send either just vanishes!

    The "edit file window" brought up by pressing advanced is empty except for
    the word "find" in the actions box.

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > The "Advanced" button should show you a list of verbs defined for TIF files.
    > Is the"Open" verb defined?
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thx Russ, first off I do not run Norton, I have Avast however the XP
    > > firewall
    > > is enabled. I get as far as the folder options and file types boxes but
    > > how
    > > do I access the command line to check that? Don't see anything else to
    > > click
    > > on except "advanced" which brings up a edit file type box. Am I even in
    > > the
    > > correct ballpark? LOL
    > > Gary
    > >
    > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> There are many causes for this problem. Most often, this problem arises
    > >> because some other imaging application that you installed has set itself
    > >> as
    > >> the default viewer for TIF files. To view or preview faxes from the Fax
    > >> Console, the Windows Imaging and Fax viewer must be your default viewer
    > >> for
    > >> TIF files. You can easily restore that setting in Windows Explorer >
    > >> Folder
    > >> Options. File Types. For most users the command line should read:
    > >>
    > >> "rundll32.exe <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen
    > >> %1"
    > >>
    > >> Another common cause of this problem is firewall software Trojan horse
    > >> rules. The most common is one that ships with Norton Internet Security.
    > >> Details on that on are available here:
    > >> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/4a29389c214c78ea88256c75005f451a/713afacbd4135e0a88256c77007e526f?OpenDocument
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Russ Valentine
    > >> [MVP-Outlook]
    > >> "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Then that's your problem. You have no file associations for TIF files.
    The one I posted is there by default. You must have installed something that
    changed it.
    Just use the Change... button to select the Windows Picture and Fax viewer
    as the application to open TIF files.
    --
    > The "edit file window" brought up by pressing advanced is empty except for
    > the word "find" in the actions box.
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    >> The "Advanced" button should show you a list of verbs defined for TIF
    >> files.
    >> Is the"Open" verb defined?
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thx Russ, first off I do not run Norton, I have Avast however the XP
    >> > firewall
    >> > is enabled. I get as far as the folder options and file types boxes but
    >> > how
    >> > do I access the command line to check that? Don't see anything else to
    >> > click
    >> > on except "advanced" which brings up a edit file type box. Am I even in
    >> > the
    >> > correct ballpark? LOL
    >> > Gary

    Hello Russ, the folder now says the default viewer for TIF files is the
    Windows Imaging and Fax viewer (perhaps it did all along, just getting
    familiar with this folder) however still cannot preview. I'd forget the
    previewing alltogether if I could just seize the modem, hear DT and send the
    dam fax! Funny thing is if the monitor window is up and I press receive fax
    it starts polling for a response and the tel line times out to a recording so
    maybe it will receive faxes, not what I wanted to do. I'm probably missing
    something. Any chance I could call you directly and go through the process?
    Gary

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > Then that's your problem. You have no file associations for TIF files.
    > The one I posted is there by default. You must have installed something that
    > changed it.
    > Just use the Change... button to select the Windows Picture and Fax viewer
    > as the application to open TIF files.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > The "edit file window" brought up by pressing advanced is empty except for
    > > the word "find" in the actions box.
    > >
    > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> The "Advanced" button should show you a list of verbs defined for TIF
    > >> files.
    > >> Is the"Open" verb defined?
    > >> --
    > >> Russ Valentine
    > >> [MVP-Outlook]
    > >> "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Now you've switched issues.
    How about some detail here--like how you installed and configured Fax,
    whether it ever worked, error messages, Event viewer, how you are sending
    faxes, and whether your modem is on the Windows XP HCL list.
    --
    > Hello Russ, the folder now says the default viewer for TIF files is the
    > Windows Imaging and Fax viewer (perhaps it did all along, just getting
    > familiar with this folder) however still cannot preview. I'd forget the
    > previewing alltogether if I could just seize the modem, hear DT and send
    > the
    > dam fax! Funny thing is if the monitor window is up and I press receive
    > fax
    > it starts polling for a response and the tel line times out to a recording
    > so
    > maybe it will receive faxes, not what I wanted to do. I'm probably missing
    > something. Any chance I could call you directly and go through the
    > process?
    > Gary
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    >> Then that's your problem. You have no file associations for TIF files.
    >> The one I posted is there by default. You must have installed something
    >> that
    >> changed it.
    >> Just use the Change... button to select the Windows Picture and Fax
    >> viewer
    >> as the application to open TIF files.
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > The "edit file window" brought up by pressing advanced is empty except
    >> > for
    >> > the word "find" in the actions box.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Back again Russ, the installation went smooth w/o any error messages, have
    uninstalled and reinstalled w/o any change in what I indicated in my original
    post. Used the CD that came with the modem for installing the drivers. I
    receive no error messages what-so-ever when trying to send a FAX from the FAX
    Wizard program. The FAX monitor doesn't appear when I click on finish to send
    a FAX but if I choose receive a Fax from the FAX console the monitor appears,
    seizes the line and starts polling to connect with the incoming Fax. I
    checked the XP compatibility and Motorola Ubisurf SM56 PCI modems are listed
    as compatible, mine is a PCI BUS V.92/56 Kbps so I suppose this could be the
    issue.
    Gary

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > Now you've switched issues.
    > How about some detail here--like how you installed and configured Fax,
    > whether it ever worked, error messages, Event viewer, how you are sending
    > faxes, and whether your modem is on the Windows XP HCL list.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello Russ, the folder now says the default viewer for TIF files is the
    > > Windows Imaging and Fax viewer (perhaps it did all along, just getting
    > > familiar with this folder) however still cannot preview. I'd forget the
    > > previewing alltogether if I could just seize the modem, hear DT and send
    > > the
    > > dam fax! Funny thing is if the monitor window is up and I press receive
    > > fax
    > > it starts polling for a response and the tel line times out to a recording
    > > so
    > > maybe it will receive faxes, not what I wanted to do. I'm probably missing
    > > something. Any chance I could call you directly and go through the
    > > process?
    > > Gary
    > >
    > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Then that's your problem. You have no file associations for TIF files.
    > >> The one I posted is there by default. You must have installed something
    > >> that
    > >> changed it.
    > >> Just use the Change... button to select the Windows Picture and Fax
    > >> viewer
    > >> as the application to open TIF files.
    > >> --
    > >> Russ Valentine
    > >> [MVP-Outlook]
    > >> "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    By which method are you sending the fax and what actually happens when you
    try?
    Is there anything in Event Viewer?
    Did Windows XP Fax ever work with this modem?
    What is the status of the Fax Service in Administrative Tools > Services?
    --
    > Back again Russ, the installation went smooth w/o any error messages, have
    > uninstalled and reinstalled w/o any change in what I indicated in my
    > original
    > post. Used the CD that came with the modem for installing the drivers. I
    > receive no error messages what-so-ever when trying to send a FAX from the
    > FAX
    > Wizard program. The FAX monitor doesn't appear when I click on finish to
    > send
    > a FAX but if I choose receive a Fax from the FAX console the monitor
    > appears,
    > seizes the line and starts polling to connect with the incoming Fax. I
    > checked the XP compatibility and Motorola Ubisurf SM56 PCI modems are
    > listed
    > as compatible, mine is a PCI BUS V.92/56 Kbps so I suppose this could be
    > the
    > issue.
    > Gary
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    >> Now you've switched issues.
    >> How about some detail here--like how you installed and configured Fax,
    >> whether it ever worked, error messages, Event viewer, how you are sending
    >> faxes, and whether your modem is on the Windows XP HCL list.
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello Russ, the folder now says the default viewer for TIF files is
    >> > the
    >> > Windows Imaging and Fax viewer (perhaps it did all along, just getting
    >> > familiar with this folder) however still cannot preview. I'd forget the
    >> > previewing alltogether if I could just seize the modem, hear DT and
    >> > send
    >> > the
    >> > dam fax! Funny thing is if the monitor window is up and I press receive
    >> > fax
    >> > it starts polling for a response and the tel line times out to a
    >> > recording
    >> > so
    >> > maybe it will receive faxes, not what I wanted to do. I'm probably
    >> > missing
    >> > something. Any chance I could call you directly and go through the
    >> > process?
    >> > Gary

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Russ, I'm using the Send FAX Wizard to create and send and when I press
    "finish" to send the wizard window disappears and nothing happens. In the
    event Viewer there are application, security, system and antivirus logs.
    Modem is brand new and is only needed for faxing as I have DSL. The status
    colum of FAX service shows a blank. I get a pop up when I press the start
    service button which indicates an attempt to send as if there were a fax
    message prepared I guess. Maybe I should prepare one in the wizard and come
    here to send?
    Gary

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > By which method are you sending the fax and what actually happens when you
    > try?
    > Is there anything in Event Viewer?
    > Did Windows XP Fax ever work with this modem?
    > What is the status of the Fax Service in Administrative Tools > Services?
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Back again Russ, the installation went smooth w/o any error messages, have
    > > uninstalled and reinstalled w/o any change in what I indicated in my
    > > original
    > > post. Used the CD that came with the modem for installing the drivers. I
    > > receive no error messages what-so-ever when trying to send a FAX from the
    > > FAX
    > > Wizard program. The FAX monitor doesn't appear when I click on finish to
    > > send
    > > a FAX but if I choose receive a Fax from the FAX console the monitor
    > > appears,
    > > seizes the line and starts polling to connect with the incoming Fax. I
    > > checked the XP compatibility and Motorola Ubisurf SM56 PCI modems are
    > > listed
    > > as compatible, mine is a PCI BUS V.92/56 Kbps so I suppose this could be
    > > the
    > > issue.
    > > Gary
    > >
    > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Now you've switched issues.
    > >> How about some detail here--like how you installed and configured Fax,
    > >> whether it ever worked, error messages, Event viewer, how you are sending
    > >> faxes, and whether your modem is on the Windows XP HCL list.
    > >> --
    > >> Russ Valentine
    > >> [MVP-Outlook]
    > >> "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    You didn't really provide any information on how you are sending the fax.
    The Fax Service should at least be started and its Startup type should be
    automatic.
    Just because a modem is new or "compatible" does not mean it is on the
    Windows XP HCL list.
    --
    > Russ, I'm using the Send FAX Wizard to create and send and when I press
    > "finish" to send the wizard window disappears and nothing happens. In the
    > event Viewer there are application, security, system and antivirus logs.
    > Modem is brand new and is only needed for faxing as I have DSL. The status
    > colum of FAX service shows a blank. I get a pop up when I press the start
    > service button which indicates an attempt to send as if there were a fax
    > message prepared I guess. Maybe I should prepare one in the wizard and
    > come
    > here to send?
    > Gary
    >

    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    >> By which method are you sending the fax and what actually happens when
    >> you
    >> try?
    >> Is there anything in Event Viewer?
    >> Did Windows XP Fax ever work with this modem?
    >> What is the status of the Fax Service in Administrative Tools > Services?
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Back again Russ, the installation went smooth w/o any error messages,
    >> > have
    >> > uninstalled and reinstalled w/o any change in what I indicated in my
    >> > original
    >> > post. Used the CD that came with the modem for installing the drivers.
    >> > receive no error messages what-so-ever when trying to send a FAX from
    >> > the
    >> > FAX
    >> > Wizard program. The FAX monitor doesn't appear when I click on finish
    >> > send
    >> > a FAX but if I choose receive a Fax from the FAX console the monitor
    >> > appears,
    >> > seizes the line and starts polling to connect with the incoming Fax. I
    >> > checked the XP compatibility and Motorola Ubisurf SM56 PCI modems are
    >> > listed
    >> > as compatible, mine is a PCI BUS V.92/56 Kbps so I suppose this could
    >> > be
    >> > the
    >> > issue.
    >> > Gary

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Hi Russ, as I mentioned in a previous post I'm using the Send Fax Wizard to
    prepare a fax and pressing finish as instructed to send it. The modem which
    is COM3 is connected to the same tel line as my DSL service. I wouldn't
    expect that using the same tel line would be an issue. I guess I'm at my wits
    end on how to proceed now, any ideas?

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > You didn't really provide any information on how you are sending the fax.
    > The Fax Service should at least be started and its Startup type should be
    > automatic.
    > Just because a modem is new or "compatible" does not mean it is on the
    > Windows XP HCL list.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Russ, I'm using the Send FAX Wizard to create and send and when I press
    > > "finish" to send the wizard window disappears and nothing happens. In the
    > > event Viewer there are application, security, system and antivirus logs.
    > > Modem is brand new and is only needed for faxing as I have DSL. The status
    > > colum of FAX service shows a blank. I get a pop up when I press the start
    > > service button which indicates an attempt to send as if there were a fax
    > > message prepared I guess. Maybe I should prepare one in the wizard and
    > > come
    > > here to send?
    > > Gary
    > >

    > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> By which method are you sending the fax and what actually happens when
    > >> you
    > >> try?
    > >> Is there anything in Event Viewer?
    > >> Did Windows XP Fax ever work with this modem?
    > >> What is the status of the Fax Service in Administrative Tools > Services?
    > >> --
    > >> Russ Valentine
    > >> [MVP-Outlook]
    > >> "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I know you are using the Send Fax Wizard. But that tells me nothing about
    how you are sending the Fax, selecting the recipient, formatting the phone
    number, and what exactly happens when you try.
    Am I to assume that Windows XP Fax has never worked with your setup?
    Have you applied the necessary filters to your DSL line to connect a
    standard analog voice line to an analog fax modem?
    --
    > Hi Russ, as I mentioned in a previous post I'm using the Send Fax Wizard
    > prepare a fax and pressing finish as instructed to send it. The modem
    > which
    > is COM3 is connected to the same tel line as my DSL service. I wouldn't
    > expect that using the same tel line would be an issue. I guess I'm at my
    > wits
    > end on how to proceed now, any ideas?
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    >> You didn't really provide any information on how you are sending the fax.
    >> The Fax Service should at least be started and its Startup type should be
    >> automatic.
    >> Just because a modem is new or "compatible" does not mean it is on the
    >> Windows XP HCL list.
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Russ, I'm using the Send FAX Wizard to create and send and when I press
    >> > "finish" to send the wizard window disappears and nothing happens. In
    >> > the
    >> > event Viewer there are application, security, system and antivirus
    >> > logs.
    >> > Modem is brand new and is only needed for faxing as I have DSL. The
    >> > status
    >> > colum of FAX service shows a blank. I get a pop up when I press the
    >> > start
    >> > service button which indicates an attempt to send as if there were a
    >> > fax
    >> > message prepared I guess. Maybe I should prepare one in the wizard and
    >> > come
    >> > here to send?
    >> > Gary

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Russ, the recipient info etc and the number formatting (canonical form) is
    all done within the fax wizard. Nothing happens as I said before when I press
    finish to send. Well I shouldn't say nothing as the wizard window disappears.
    Yes XP Fax has never been tryed or used before on my Dell. The tel line jack
    has the proper filter installed.

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > I know you are using the Send Fax Wizard. But that tells me nothing about
    > how you are sending the Fax, selecting the recipient, formatting the phone
    > number, and what exactly happens when you try.
    > Am I to assume that Windows XP Fax has never worked with your setup?
    > Have you applied the necessary filters to your DSL line to connect a
    > standard analog voice line to an analog fax modem?
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Russ, as I mentioned in a previous post I'm using the Send Fax Wizard
    > > prepare a fax and pressing finish as instructed to send it. The modem
    > > which
    > > is COM3 is connected to the same tel line as my DSL service. I wouldn't
    > > expect that using the same tel line would be an issue. I guess I'm at my
    > > wits
    > > end on how to proceed now, any ideas?
    > >
    > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> You didn't really provide any information on how you are sending the fax.
    > >> The Fax Service should at least be started and its Startup type should be
    > >> automatic.
    > >> Just because a modem is new or "compatible" does not mean it is on the
    > >> Windows XP HCL list.
    > >> --
    > >> Russ Valentine
    > >> [MVP-Outlook]
    > >> "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Russ, I should of added to my previous post I set up XP Fax with the help of
    this site titled:
    Faxing in Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/crawford_02october21.mspx

    "cueball" wrote:

    > Russ, the recipient info etc and the number formatting (canonical form) is
    > all done within the fax wizard. Nothing happens as I said before when I press
    > finish to send. Well I shouldn't say nothing as the wizard window disappears.
    > Yes XP Fax has never been tryed or used before on my Dell. The tel line jack
    > has the proper filter installed.
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    > > I know you are using the Send Fax Wizard. But that tells me nothing about
    > > how you are sending the Fax, selecting the recipient, formatting the phone
    > > number, and what exactly happens when you try.
    > > Am I to assume that Windows XP Fax has never worked with your setup?
    > > Have you applied the necessary filters to your DSL line to connect a
    > > standard analog voice line to an analog fax modem?
    > > --
    > > Russ Valentine
    > > [MVP-Outlook]
    > > "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi Russ, as I mentioned in a previous post I'm using the Send Fax Wizard
    > > > prepare a fax and pressing finish as instructed to send it. The modem
    > > > which
    > > > is COM3 is connected to the same tel line as my DSL service. I wouldn't
    > > > expect that using the same tel line would be an issue. I guess I'm at my
    > > > wits
    > > > end on how to proceed now, any ideas?

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I give up.
    I doubt you have a modem or phone line that is compatible with Windows XP
    Fax, but do not have enough information to troubleshoot it. How are you
    certain you have the proper filter on your DSL line?
    --
    > Russ, I should of added to my previous post I set up XP Fax with the help
    > of
    > this site titled:
    > Faxing in Windows XP
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/crawford_02october21.mspx
    >
    > "cueball" wrote:
    >
    >> Russ, the recipient info etc and the number formatting (canonical form)
    >> is
    >> all done within the fax wizard. Nothing happens as I said before when I
    >> press
    >> finish to send. Well I shouldn't say nothing as the wizard window
    >> disappears.
    >> Yes XP Fax has never been tryed or used before on my Dell. The tel line
    >> jack
    >> has the proper filter installed.
    >>
    >> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >>
    >> > I know you are using the Send Fax Wizard. But that tells me nothing
    >> > about
    >> > how you are sending the Fax, selecting the recipient, formatting the
    >> > phone
    >> > number, and what exactly happens when you try.
    >> > Am I to assume that Windows XP Fax has never worked with your setup?
    >> > Have you applied the necessary filters to your DSL line to connect a
    >> > standard analog voice line to an analog fax modem?
    >> > --
    >> > Russ Valentine
    >> > [MVP-Outlook]
    >> > "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Hello Russ, guess I give up too, I've taken a lot of your time. I believe the
    filter is OK as a phone is plugged into the modem and I'm not getting any
    interference on it from the computer.
    Thx, Gary

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > You didn't really provide any information on how you are sending the fax.
    > The Fax Service should at least be started and its Startup type should be
    > automatic.
    > Just because a modem is new or "compatible" does not mean it is on the
    > Windows XP HCL list.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Russ, I'm using the Send FAX Wizard to create and send and when I press
    > > "finish" to send the wizard window disappears and nothing happens. In the
    > > event Viewer there are application, security, system and antivirus logs.
    > > Modem is brand new and is only needed for faxing as I have DSL. The status
    > > colum of FAX service shows a blank. I get a pop up when I press the start
    > > service button which indicates an attempt to send as if there were a fax
    > > message prepared I guess. Maybe I should prepare one in the wizard and
    > > come
    > > here to send?
    > > Gary
    > >

    > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> By which method are you sending the fax and what actually happens when
    > >> you
    > >> try?
    > >> Is there anything in Event Viewer?
    > >> Did Windows XP Fax ever work with this modem?
    > >> What is the status of the Fax Service in Administrative Tools > Services?
    > >> --
    > >> Russ Valentine
    > >> [MVP-Outlook]
    > >> "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    lWell now Russ, I've almost got her working. I uninstalled XP Fax and
    reinstalled going through all the setup. The only problem now is the modem
    doesn't wait long enough to give the called fax enough time to respond with
    it's burst before redialing over and over. Is there a delay code to put in
    the dial string following the number to allow the called fax to respond? Is
    this what may be missing?
    Gary

    "cueball" wrote:

    > Hello Russ, guess I give up too, I've taken a lot of your time. I believe the
    > filter is OK as a phone is plugged into the modem and I'm not getting any
    > interference on it from the computer.
    > Thx, Gary
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    > > You didn't really provide any information on how you are sending the fax.
    > > The Fax Service should at least be started and its Startup type should be
    > > automatic.
    > > Just because a modem is new or "compatible" does not mean it is on the
    > > Windows XP HCL list.
    > > --
    > > Russ Valentine
    > > [MVP-Outlook]
    > > "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Russ, I'm using the Send FAX Wizard to create and send and when I press
    > > > "finish" to send the wizard window disappears and nothing happens. In the
    > > > event Viewer there are application, security, system and antivirus logs.
    > > > Modem is brand new and is only needed for faxing as I have DSL. The status
    > > > colum of FAX service shows a blank. I get a pop up when I press the start
    > > > service button which indicates an attempt to send as if there were a fax
    > > > message prepared I guess. Maybe I should prepare one in the wizard and
    > > > come
    > > > here to send?
    > > > Gary

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    You can insert commas after the number. Each comma will force a 2 second
    pause.
    Sounds like you still have some modem incompatibility issues, but hopefully
    ones for which you can find a workaround.
    --
    > lWell now Russ, I've almost got her working. I uninstalled XP Fax and
    > reinstalled going through all the setup. The only problem now is the modem
    > doesn't wait long enough to give the called fax enough time to respond
    > with
    > it's burst before redialing over and over. Is there a delay code to put in
    > the dial string following the number to allow the called fax to respond?
    > Is
    > this what may be missing?
    > Gary
    >
    > "cueball" wrote:
    >
    >> Hello Russ, guess I give up too, I've taken a lot of your time. I believe
    >> the
    >> filter is OK as a phone is plugged into the modem and I'm not getting any
    >> interference on it from the computer.
    >> Thx, Gary
    >>
    >> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >>
    >> > You didn't really provide any information on how you are sending the
    >> > fax.
    >> > The Fax Service should at least be started and its Startup type should
    >> > be
    >> > automatic.
    >> > Just because a modem is new or "compatible" does not mean it is on the
    >> > Windows XP HCL list.
    >> > --
    >> > Russ Valentine
    >> > [MVP-Outlook]
    >> > "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I'll try that Russ, I seem so close to it now, let you know,
    Gary

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > You can insert commas after the number. Each comma will force a 2 second
    > pause.
    > Sounds like you still have some modem incompatibility issues, but hopefully
    > ones for which you can find a workaround.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > lWell now Russ, I've almost got her working. I uninstalled XP Fax and
    > > reinstalled going through all the setup. The only problem now is the modem
    > > doesn't wait long enough to give the called fax enough time to respond
    > > with
    > > it's burst before redialing over and over. Is there a delay code to put in
    > > the dial string following the number to allow the called fax to respond?
    > > Is
    > > this what may be missing?
    > > Gary
    > >
    > > "cueball" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hello Russ, guess I give up too, I've taken a lot of your time. I believe
    > >> the
    > >> filter is OK as a phone is plugged into the modem and I'm not getting any
    > >> interference on it from the computer.
    > >> Thx, Gary

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Sucess at last Russ! Don't know precisely what got her going but perseverance
    paid off I guess. I uninstalled and reinstalled modem and XP Fax several
    times so really lost track. Your suggestions got me familiar and more
    experienced in the checking this and that and I thank you for all that.
    Best regards, Gary

    "cueball" wrote:

    > I'll try that Russ, I seem so close to it now, let you know,
    > Gary
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    > > You can insert commas after the number. Each comma will force a 2 second
    > > pause.
    > > Sounds like you still have some modem incompatibility issues, but hopefully
    > > ones for which you can find a workaround.
    > > --
    > > Russ Valentine
    > > [MVP-Outlook]
    > > "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > lWell now Russ, I've almost got her working. I uninstalled XP Fax and
    > > > reinstalled going through all the setup. The only problem now is the modem
    > > > doesn't wait long enough to give the called fax enough time to respond
    > > > with
    > > > it's burst before redialing over and over. Is there a delay code to put in
    > > > the dial string following the number to allow the called fax to respond?
    > > > Is
    > > > this what may be missing?
    > > > Gary

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    You're welcome.
    Wish we knew what it turned out to be.
    --
    > Sucess at last Russ! Don't know precisely what got her going but
    > perseverance
    > paid off I guess. I uninstalled and reinstalled modem and XP Fax several
    > times so really lost track. Your suggestions got me familiar and more
    > experienced in the checking this and that and I thank you for all that.
    > Best regards, Gary
    >
    > "cueball" wrote:
    >
    >> I'll try that Russ, I seem so close to it now, let you know,
    >> Gary
    >>
    >> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >>
    >> > You can insert commas after the number. Each comma will force a 2
    >> > second
    >> > pause.
    >> > Sounds like you still have some modem incompatibility issues, but
    >> > hopefully
    >> > ones for which you can find a workaround.
    >> > --
    >> > Russ Valentine
    >> > [MVP-Outlook]
    >> > "cueball" <cueball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Fax Microsoft Windows XP