Re-installed Windows 7. Borderlands 2 fails. Needs more virtual memory

jrmitche18

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
I just reformatted Windows 7 yesterday. Prior to the reformat some things were a bit sluggish but Borderlands 2 (and other games) were running fine, for the most part. After reinstalling everything and copying my old steamapps folder, Borderlands won't work. I get to the launch menu, hit "Play" and get a box saying that the program stopped working. A larger window appears letting me know that I don't have enough virtual memory and that I should clean out my HDD.

*Note

When I reformatted I neglected to erase my old files. I did this post-reformat. Might that be causing some issues? Maybe it's a driver problem?

Thanks!

Solution
right click on my computer and select properties/advances system settings/advanced/performance settings/ advanced and virtual memory. set this to manual and set it to 1.5 times you actual ram... so if you have 4 gigs make it 6 or if you have 8 then set it to 12. set the minimum to 1mb less than your max.
save and quit . you may have to reboot. sometimes windows asks for it, just do it and then you should have no virtual mem errors for anything you run.
i dod this as a basic rule of thumb on every pc i use and have never had any issues with running out of mem...

jrmitche18

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
ASUS ENGTX560 TI DCII/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI

COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS500-PCARD3-US 500W ATX12V v2.3 Power Supply

COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

Well, it looks like other games are having some issues as well.

I did re-install graphics drivers.

I (perhaps foolishly) didn't backup my steam files, but copied over my steamapps folder. I was under the impression that would work... possibly a bad impression to be under.

right click on my computer and select properties/advances system settings/advanced/performance settings/ advanced and virtual memory. set this to manual and set it to 1.5 times you actual ram... so if you have 4 gigs make it 6 or if you have 8 then set it to 12. set the minimum to 1mb less than your max.
save and quit . you may have to reboot. sometimes windows asks for it, just do it and then you should have no virtual mem errors for anything you run.
i dod this as a basic rule of thumb on every pc i use and have never had any issues with running out of mem...

Solution
Hi, I'm farily sure Hexit has the correct solution for your problem. However, on a side note, do the game files integrity check through steam. And, reinstall your drivers, preferably for everything.

Lastly, I really doubt this but, what resolution are you trying to run the game at?