TMD fan 80mm version - DEAD??

Paul2200

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
<b>POINT I</b>

The <A HREF="http://www.ystech.com.tw/Tmd/tmd-3.htm" target="_new">FAQ Page</A> on the old YS Tech TMD Site:

<pre><i>QUESTION: It is July. Why I didn't see other dimensions of T.M.D. FAN in the market?

ANSWER: Here is the revised schedule for T.M.D. FAN release.

80x80x25mm: The end of August, 2002

70x70x15mm (modified version w/o metal cover): The end of August, 2002

QUESTION: What is the availability of T.M.D. FAN in the market?

ANSWER: Here is the rough schedule for the dimensional development of the T.M.D. FAN:

Now: 70x70x15mm is now available. It is targeted for Pentium 4 CPU cooler.

April: 70x70x15mm T.M.D. FAN will be shipped out to variable locations over the world.

May to June: 60x60x25mm, 80x80x25mm T.M.D. FAN will be released to the market. These two dimensions are targeted for AMD CPU cooler and case cooling.
</pre><p></i>
<b>POINT II</b>

Every single review of the YS Tech TMD Fans says that the 80mm version will be out sometime in August.

<b>POINT III</b>

The <A HREF="http://www.tmdfan.com" target="_new">new YS Tech TMD site</A> has nothing about the 80mm version. In fact, the FAQ page has disappeared altogether!

<b>POINT IV</b>

It is the middle of September already and I can't find these fans for sale anywhere!

What's going on? Has the 80mm version of the YS Tech TMD Fan been abandoned??? WTF?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by paul2200 on 09/14/02 11:16 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Production delays is my best guess. The 74mm TMD fans had problems with failures during operation, and I bet they are either doing a huge design revamp or discontinuing it.

1° of separation between my monopoly and yours. That's business with .NET

Paul2200

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
OOH a response!... Do you know what kind of problems there were exactly? I'm just curious about the 80mm TMD fans because they just disappeared.. and even more curious because I want one! :)

-Paul

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Oh I hope not. I have a TMD fan sitting on my heatsink right now and I love it. Very quiet, just OK cooling.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
I have one of these 70mm fans attachd to my swiftech MCXC370, It is a painto fit on there, and after that you have to use a screwdriver through the fan blades to attach the heatsink. I had to us an 80mm fan grill and bend up the arms a bit. Nice on the cooling, and it shows the thing is spinning 10000+rpm (actualy around 5400). Very quiet, and I hope the thing is not going to die, we all know what an unprotected Athlon does....

<font color=red>Red meat isn't bad for you</font color=red>,<font color=blue> Fuzzy blue meat is bad for you.</font color=blue>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I bought the 5800 RPM model at <A HREF="http://www.nexfan.com/43/425.htm?968" target="_new">nexfan.com</A> for $10 plus shipping.

I read a rumor that the fans have a 0.8 amp inrush current and this could be problem to most motherboard fan headers. I have mine connected directly to the power supply.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Mine is a 5400rpm one, I got it from coolerguys.com

they are an ok shop, but every order I have had from them has had at least one problem. (parts missing, damaged parts)

<font color=red>Red meat isn't bad for you</font color=red>,<font color=blue> Fuzzy blue meat is bad for you.</font color=blue>

Paul2200

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
Hmm, I may get a couple TMD fans... How's the noise level on them? I've seen reviews saying that you can't really tell the noise by just the dBA for TMD fans, that it's actually quieter. Is this true?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry for the late response. I didn't see this post until now.

The TMD fans are pretty quiet (but far from silent). Despite the 39 dBA noise spec, the 5800 RPM model is quieter than the 32 dBA fan it replaced and nowhere near the 42 dBA Delta fan. (It doesn't cool as well as a 60x25mm Delta).

I've gone back to my old heatsink which is a big aluminum model. I didn't feel comfortable with a 1 pound copper heatsink with a high-tension clip. The copper heatsink wasn't a good one anyway. The aluminum heatsink actually is a tad better at cooling my Tbird at 1.5 Ghz.

<b>I type sixty words per minute. Ten are spelled correctly.</b>

victorchew

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2002
Why isn't the full copper heatsink is better than a Aluminium, or the mix AlCu is better? As I know most of the heatsink with full copper is much more expensive than others.

regards,
victor

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Why isn't the full copper heatsink is better than a Aluminium, or the mix AlCu is better?
I don't know. I guess <A HREF="http://www.nexfan.com/29/331.htm?692" target="_new">this particular heatsink</A> isn't very efficient. Don't know if it has something to do with air flow, perhaps too few fins. It was inexpensive but it only has average cooling and is moderately loud. Maybe I'll try it in a non-overclocked Athlon 2400+ system.

As for the copper/aluminum mix, I think the key is the interface between the copper and the aluminum. There is some efficiency lost because of the interface between the two materials. This loss is sometimes greater than the gains for using copper. (At least that is what I have read). It's a little difficult to verify this because there are very few heatsinks manufactured both with and without copper inserts. The only one that I know of are the Thermaltake Volcano 5 & 6 heatsinks which are identical except for the insert. The only review that I can recall that have both these heatsinks can be found <A HREF="http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp_p3.htm#v5" target="_new">here</A>.

victorchew

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2002
Well, thats really confuse me a lot. At first I had read that my heatsink fan(CM HHC-001) not that good, then I start to search and plan to change one. Then some review just say it is good, just under the range of the SLK-800.

Any suggestion for keep the cpu cool but quiet?

thanks.

regards,
victor

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
HHC-001, if that's the one with the heatpipe then it is a good cooler. Have you tried different fans on that heatsink? You might be able to find some reasonably powerful fans without too much noise. However, there is always going to be some trade-off between noise and cooling though. To get more cooling you need more airflow which usually means more noise. One advantage of the SLK-800 is that it accepts 80mm fans without adapters and a 50 CFM, 80 mm fan is a lot quieter than a 50 CFM, 60 mm fan. I don't know what size fan you cooler accepts.

The downsides of the SLK-800 is that it is very heavy at 500+ grams (510 I think), not counting the fan, and it uses a conventional tension clip as opposed to using the mounting holes on the motherboard. With that kind of weight I would worry about the heatsink crushing the core when if the computer accidentally gets jostled during transport. (Not a problem, if the computer is never moved).

If you want very quiet cooling and you want to overclock I think the only choice is to move to water cooling.

<b>I type sixty words per minute. Ten are spelled correctly.</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 10/14/02 12:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

victorchew

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2002
Not trying any others fans, but plan to do that also. Plan to put in some clear fan with LED one, is it a good idea or any other good brand fans?

My heatsink accept 60mm fans but if need a 80mm fan, I can get a adapter for 60mm to 80mm. Any clear LED fans is good in air flow?

Actually my heatsink also weight about 520g plus fan, with one hook only, this is what I'm afraid part. The SLK 800 at least using 3 hooks. Read some heaatsink which is mount on motherboard one but the performance not as good as SLK 800, right?

At the moment I'm only can affort the air cooling, water cooling won't be consider at now.

Thank you very much.

regards,
victor

lemonlemon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2002
It depends...the thing is, copper conducts heat better than aluminum, but is harder to disperse and so when using a fast fan, it probably will cool better but worse (compared to aluminum) should u choose a fan that has lower cfm. I think that's why a lot of companies only stick with a copper base (such as alpha 8045)...and to add that copper is harder to work with. That's not to say that a copper only heatsink is bad though. Depends on the disign and the fan. Or so i've come to think... haha

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
520 grams! Ouch! This is partly the reason I went back to my aluminum heatsink which is only 130 grams (I think).

Fan adapters work so that's good. I wouldn't use one because I'm clumsy. Imagine a heavy heatsink which is perhaps 45-50 mm tall, plus a fan adapter maybe 25-30 mm tall, and an 80x80x25 mm fan. The whole rig is perhaps 100 mm tall (more if you have a monster Delta fan). Now you reach into your system for ATX power plug or memory DIMM and you bump your hand on the HSF assembly. Oops lots of leverage and crack. CPU crunch! Maybe that's just my fears but I almost did it with my 430 gram copper HSF which is only about 60 mm tall, including the fan.

With and HSF assembly like that, a broken clip tab is even more likely than a crushed CPU.

I don't have any great fan recommendations. I like Deltas for cooling but they are too noisy. I like the Y.S.Tech TMD fans but they have alleged problems plus 74 mm (fits 70 mm mounts) is a real odd size. I hear Panflos are a bit quiet for the amount of air flow they produce. I don't really care for variable speed fans that work automatically. The change in noise level and pitch would be distracting.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Maybe the interface between the copper inserts and aluminum heatsinks have improved but there was no real benefit between Volcano 6 (w/ copper insert) over the Volcano 5 (w/out copper insert).

victorchew

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2002
Just want to know what is your system and what heatsink fan you using now? How about the temperature for your CPU and MOBO? How about the room temperature as well?

Your statement about the dangerous of weight and height are quite true although I'm not moving the PC around and touch the inner things, but if for a long term hanging with one or three clips with over 500g of heatsink, also afraid that one day will drop down and hit my graphic card. Haha, sounds like a bit stupid thought.

So, what is the weight which is more secure for that? or maybe I get a heatsink like PAL 8045 or Swiftech which is mount on the MOBO, is it ok?

Thank you very much.

regards,
victor

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Just want to know what is your system and what heatsink fan you using now? How about the temperature for your CPU and MOBO? How about the room temperature as well?

Your statement about the dangerous of weight and height are quite true although I'm not moving the PC around and touch the inner things, but if for a long term hanging with one or three clips with over 500g of heatsink, also afraid that one day will drop down and hit my graphic card. Haha, sounds like a bit stupid thought.

So, what is the weight which is more secure for that? or maybe I get a heatsink like PAL 8045 or Swiftech which is mount on the MOBO, is it ok?
Victor, both heatsinks you listed are excellent. I wish I could have gone with a Swiftech myself but my motherboard doesn't have mounting holes plus I'm cheap. The Thermaltake AX7 is too big for my motherboard which is an old Epox 8KTA3PRO with a Tbird 1.0 overclocked to 1.33 Ghz (1.5 Ghz during gaming using SoftFSB) at 1.87 volts (according to MBM5).

As for my temperatures, my room temp is a cool 17 degrees C, 10 months out of the year. In July and August it varies with summer heat. Case temp is about 28-30 degrees. Idle temp for CPU @ 1.5 Ghz is about 43 degrees. Peak temp is 49 degrees (running Toast for one hour after two hours of system warmup).

The HSF that I use is a <A HREF="http://www.nexfan.com/29/248.htm?692" target="_new">Galaxy GC21</A> which uses an identical heatsink to the Volcano 5 but with a 3-tab clip, different fan, and only a partial shroud. I've replaced the stock fan with the Y.S.Tech TMD fan for lower noise but performance is about the same as the stock fan, same idle temp but 1 degree better peak temp. I've only found the Galaxy coolers at one USA vendor, <A HREF="http://www.nexfan.com" target="_new">nexfan.com</A>. Good cheap coolers but nothing outstanding. The GC21 is only $4 USD. The TMD fan was $10 USD. I've also used about 2 other fans including a Delta and the other heatsink so I've wasted about $40 before I settled on what I have. For the $55 or $60 that I have spent I could have got one of the premium heatsinks. I would still have to deal with the weight and the noise, though.

I'm happy now. Don't know what I would get when I upgade the CPU and motherboard.

Optimum heatsink weight? I pretty sure that AMD used to recommend that heatsinks not exceed 250-300 grams. That was with the old style 1-tab clips. I don't know about 3-tab clips.

<b>I type sixty words per minute. Ten are spelled correctly.</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 10/15/02 02:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>