Strange problems with spoolsv.exe and high load of network

Hello,

This is my first posting here. First, sorry if my english is not good
enough.

We have a LAN on this site with 4000 machines aprox. We have a
printserver for one of the buildings of our complex with 97 queues
(anothers print servers are installed for other departments, all W2003
with same patch level). All clients have Windows XP SP1 + patches (all
from same images, only little changes of software in few machines).

Sometimes (without any kind of sense, time relationship, group of
machines,...), clients start to send a lot of packets to our printserver
(DCE RPC) and this machine replies them. We are talking aprox 10k
packets/s per client-server pair.

And spoolsv.exe on the clients use 60% cpu aprox.

If we kill that process then we can stop the traffic.

We were searching for info on virus/trojans, on microsoft kb for bugs,...
but we didn't found anything.

Have you any idea about this issue? Or where can we search more info?

Thanks in advance,

Juan Carlos
2 answers Last reply
More about strange problems spoolsv high load network

    this issue is addressed in XP SP2, there is also a hotfix for SP1 available.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329234
    The client spooler enters a loop when it manipulates several network
    printers at the same time
    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "Alan Morris" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > this issue is addressed in XP SP2, there is also a hotfix for SP1
    > available.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329234
    > The client spooler enters a loop when it manipulates several network
    > printers at the same time

    Thanks a lot!!!!

    I submited this info to our Desktop support team.

    Best Regards,

    Juan Carlos

Microsoft Windows XP