New PS3 Super Slim Speculation...

Juro808

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
So with the release of the new PS3 Super Slims, available in 250GB and 500GB HDD configurations for Japan and US markets, there was one particular detail made about the European release of the new slim model.

The European market will receive a PS3 super slim model with a built in, and maybe a bit small, 12GB flash memory version.

What I am wondering is if the new PS3 line will have newer SATA integration for the swappable HDDs. Currently, you can install an SSD into a PS3 and improve its saving/loading/install times. Sometimes drastically depending on the game (Gran Turismo 5). BUT because of the PS3's old technology utilized in the aging system, I remember reading somewhere that the SATA interface is somewhere between SATA1 and SATA2 speeds. Meaning the PS3 isn't able to FULLY take advantage of modern day SSDs, but still be able to use some of the SSD's speed compared to the standard 5400rpm laptop HDDs currently used.

Maybe I'm taking this completely out of line, and the "flash" memory is literally a chip that's built in to the motherboard of the new PS3, and has nothing to do with the PS3's SATA controller. BUT I am hopeful that the new models may have upgraded to newer SATA3 connections for the internal HDD.

If anyone is able to confirm, or may know a way to get any info from another source if there is any difference, it would be greatly appreciated. Maybe we could get one of the mainstream video game websites to do tests.

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
I've been using the Super Slim for about 1 hour and it seems to have installed Battlefield 3 much faster, patch and from disc. I wonder if the bluray drive is faster as well as better SATA bus speeds. The original Slim I'm replacing has a 500gb Momentus XT so the speed benefit is very welcome.

It's been years since I have posted lol.

Edit: The bluray drive is the same, so bus speeds are the only possible variable.