pop

, I have a new emachines T6212 with local (fax modem) Soft V92 Data Fax
Modem w/ SmartCP,and SBC DSL. I have configured, enabled, and re-checked
settings repeatedly, but cannot send or receive faxes.
What should be the status of 1.)My internet connection; 2.)My shared
telephone-DSL line; and, 3.) will fax -receive operate if my computer is
turned off?
Supposing I do get this running eventually, is there anyway to check if
it's fuctioning properly without going to a seperate fax location?
The Emachine help line (technician) was only able to refer me to their
help menu, which I have been through no less than 5 times.

Windows XP Home
--
Thanks,Pop

You cannot fax over a DSL line unless you have a filter that is suitable for
connecting a standard analog voice line to an analog fax modem.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"pop" <pop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>, I have a new emachines T6212 with local (fax modem) Soft V92 Data Fax
> Modem w/ SmartCP,and SBC DSL. I have configured, enabled, and re-checked
> settings repeatedly, but cannot send or receive faxes.
> What should be the status of 1.)My internet connection; 2.)My shared
> telephone-DSL line; and, 3.) will fax -receive operate if my computer is
> turned off?
> Supposing I do get this running eventually, is there anyway to check if
> it's fuctioning properly without going to a seperate fax location?
> The Emachine help line (technician) was only able to refer me to their
> help menu, which I have been through no less than 5 times.
>
> Windows XP Home
> --
> Thanks,Pop

Pop

The data/fax modem should be connected to your telephone line, through an
inline DSL filter..

Your DSL connection can be left running..

Fax reception is not possible if the computer is turned off UNLESS you set
'wake on modem' in your system's BIOS.. it is easier to leave your system
running..

You would have to check on the internet or locally for a test number re
checking the fax for correct operation..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

"pop" <pop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>, I have a new emachines T6212 with local (fax modem) Soft V92 Data Fax
> Modem w/ SmartCP,and SBC DSL. I have configured, enabled, and re-checked
> settings repeatedly, but cannot send or receive faxes.
> What should be the status of 1.)My internet connection; 2.)My shared
> telephone-DSL line; and, 3.) will fax -receive operate if my computer is
> turned off?
> Supposing I do get this running eventually, is there anyway to check if
> it's fuctioning properly without going to a seperate fax location?
> The Emachine help line (technician) was only able to refer me to their
> help menu, which I have been through no less than 5 times.
>
> Windows XP Home
> --
> Thanks,Pop

I have changed from a dial-up to a broadband connection, how do I get the fax
to accept the other modem? I have a suitable filter connected.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> You cannot fax over a DSL line unless you have a filter that is suitable for
> connecting a standard analog voice line to an analog fax modem.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "pop" <pop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >, I have a new emachines T6212 with local (fax modem) Soft V92 Data Fax
> > Modem w/ SmartCP,and SBC DSL. I have configured, enabled, and re-checked
> > settings repeatedly, but cannot send or receive faxes.
> > What should be the status of 1.)My internet connection; 2.)My shared
> > telephone-DSL line; and, 3.) will fax -receive operate if my computer is
> > turned off?
> > Supposing I do get this running eventually, is there anyway to check if
> > it's fuctioning properly without going to a seperate fax location?
> > The Emachine help line (technician) was only able to refer me to their
> > help menu, which I have been through no less than 5 times.
> >
> > Windows XP Home
> > --
> > Thanks,Pop

You haven't provided any information.