Local fax modem

, I have a new emachines T6212 with local (fax modem) Soft V92 Data Fax
Modem w/ SmartCP,and SBC DSL. I have configured, enabled, and re-checked
settings repeatedly, but cannot send or receive faxes.
What should be the status of 1.)My internet connection; 2.)My shared
telephone-DSL line; and, 3.) will fax -receive operate if my computer is
turned off?
Supposing I do get this running eventually, is there anyway to check if
it's fuctioning properly without going to a seperate fax location?
The Emachine help line (technician) was only able to refer me to their
help menu, which I have been through no less than 5 times.

Windows XP Home
--
Thanks,Pop
4 answers Last reply

    You cannot fax over a DSL line unless you have a filter that is suitable for
    connecting a standard analog voice line to an analog fax modem.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "pop" <pop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >, I have a new emachines T6212 with local (fax modem) Soft V92 Data Fax
    > Modem w/ SmartCP,and SBC DSL. I have configured, enabled, and re-checked
    > settings repeatedly, but cannot send or receive faxes.
    > What should be the status of 1.)My internet connection; 2.)My shared
    > telephone-DSL line; and, 3.) will fax -receive operate if my computer is
    > turned off?
    > Supposing I do get this running eventually, is there anyway to check if
    > it's fuctioning properly without going to a seperate fax location?
    > The Emachine help line (technician) was only able to refer me to their
    > help menu, which I have been through no less than 5 times.
    >
    > Windows XP Home
    > --
    > Thanks,Pop

    Pop

    The data/fax modem should be connected to your telephone line, through an
    inline DSL filter..

    Your DSL connection can be left running..

    Fax reception is not possible if the computer is turned off UNLESS you set
    'wake on modem' in your system's BIOS.. it is easier to leave your system
    running..

    You would have to check on the internet or locally for a test number re
    checking the fax for correct operation..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    "pop" <pop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >, I have a new emachines T6212 with local (fax modem) Soft V92 Data Fax
    > Modem w/ SmartCP,and SBC DSL. I have configured, enabled, and re-checked
    > settings repeatedly, but cannot send or receive faxes.
    > What should be the status of 1.)My internet connection; 2.)My shared
    > telephone-DSL line; and, 3.) will fax -receive operate if my computer is
    > turned off?
    > Supposing I do get this running eventually, is there anyway to check if
    > it's fuctioning properly without going to a seperate fax location?
    > The Emachine help line (technician) was only able to refer me to their
    > help menu, which I have been through no less than 5 times.
    >
    > Windows XP Home
    > --
    > Thanks,Pop

    I have changed from a dial-up to a broadband connection, how do I get the fax
    to accept the other modem? I have a suitable filter connected.

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > You cannot fax over a DSL line unless you have a filter that is suitable for
    > connecting a standard analog voice line to an analog fax modem.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "pop" <pop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >, I have a new emachines T6212 with local (fax modem) Soft V92 Data Fax
    > > Modem w/ SmartCP,and SBC DSL. I have configured, enabled, and re-checked
    > > settings repeatedly, but cannot send or receive faxes.
    > > What should be the status of 1.)My internet connection; 2.)My shared
    > > telephone-DSL line; and, 3.) will fax -receive operate if my computer is
    > > turned off?
    > > Supposing I do get this running eventually, is there anyway to check if
    > > it's fuctioning properly without going to a seperate fax location?
    > > The Emachine help line (technician) was only able to refer me to their
    > > help menu, which I have been through no less than 5 times.
    > >
    > > Windows XP Home
    > > --
    > > Thanks,Pop

    You haven't provided any information.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Rocky12" <Rocky12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have changed from a dial-up to a broadband connection, how do I get the
    >fax
    > to accept the other modem? I have a suitable filter connected.
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    >> You cannot fax over a DSL line unless you have a filter that is suitable
    >> for
    >> connecting a standard analog voice line to an analog fax modem.
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "pop" <pop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >, I have a new emachines T6212 with local (fax modem) Soft V92 Data Fax
    >> > Modem w/ SmartCP,and SBC DSL. I have configured, enabled, and
    >> > re-checked
    >> > settings repeatedly, but cannot send or receive faxes.
    >> > What should be the status of 1.)My internet connection; 2.)My shared
    >> > telephone-DSL line; and, 3.) will fax -receive operate if my computer
    >> > is
    >> > turned off?
    >> > Supposing I do get this running eventually, is there anyway to check
    >> > if
    >> > it's fuctioning properly without going to a seperate fax location?
    >> > The Emachine help line (technician) was only able to refer me to their
    >> > help menu, which I have been through no less than 5 times.
    >> >
    >> > Windows XP Home
    >> > --
    >> > Thanks,Pop

Fax Modem eMachines Windows XP