Fax not working

When I try to add fax as a windows component in the control panel, I get a
prompt for windows xp professional service pack 2 CD-ROM or i386 folder.
Service Pack 2 is installed on my pc, I've done a search for the i386 folder
and found it in windows\driver cache but what do I do from there? I keep
having to abort the installation process.

Can anyone help??!!

--
potatoskins
9 answers Last reply

    If you have applied a Service Pack, these files may have been moved to a
    different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct the
    routine to that folder.

    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "potatoskins" <potatoskins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I try to add fax as a windows component in the control panel, I get
    > prompt for windows xp professional service pack 2 CD-ROM or i386 folder.
    > Service Pack 2 is installed on my pc, I've done a search for the i386
    > folder
    > and found it in windows\driver cache but what do I do from there? I keep
    > having to abort the installation process.
    >
    > Can anyone help??!!
    >
    > --
    > potatoskins

    tried redirecting to servicepack\i386 but I'm still being asked for files. I
    don't have the XP CD either as XP was already on my PC when I got it.
    --
    potatoskins

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > If you have applied a Service Pack, these files may have been moved to a
    > different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct the
    > routine to that folder.
    >

    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "potatoskins" <potatoskins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I try to add fax as a windows component in the control panel, I get
    > > prompt for windows xp professional service pack 2 CD-ROM or i386 folder.
    > > Service Pack 2 is installed on my pc, I've done a search for the i386
    > > folder
    > > and found it in windows\driver cache but what do I do from there? I keep
    > > having to abort the installation process.
    > >
    > > Can anyone help??!!
    > >
    > > --
    > > potatoskins

    Hi, I'm having the same problem. i'm prompted for files that need to be
    copied from my Windows XP CD. i have the Windows XP recovery disk that came
    with my PC when I bought it new, but I have the idea that as it's a recovery
    disk it would be unwise to run it again. (deletion of current Windows Xp
    operating system)
    My PC has a built-in modem, and I'm using Broadband through a SpeedTouch
    ADSL Modem. Am I having no dial -tone because faxes can't be run through
    broadband connections and also I don't have the built-in modem connected to
    the phone line.
    The fax software (mightyFax) detects the built-in modem?
    I have also installed Service Pack 2, and a complete mcAfee Security Suite.
    Any Ideas please?

    "ciwstudybabe" wrote:

    > Hi, I'm having the same problem. i'm prompted for files that need to be
    > copied from my Windows XP CD. i have the Windows XP recovery disk that came
    > with my PC when I bought it new, but I have the idea that as it's a recovery
    > disk it would be unwise to run it again. (deletion of current Windows Xp
    > operating system)
    > My PC has a built-in modem, and I'm using Broadband through a SpeedTouch
    > ADSL Modem. Am I having no dial -tone because faxes can't be run through
    > broadband connections and also I don't have the built-in modem connected to
    > the phone line.
    > The fax software (mightyFax) detects the built-in modem?
    > I have also installed Service Pack 2, and a complete mcAfee Security Suite.
    > Any Ideas please?
    >
    > "potatoskins" wrote:
    >
    > > tried redirecting to servicepack\i386 but I'm still being asked for files. I
    > > don't have the XP CD either as XP was already on my PC when I got it.
    > > --
    > > potatoskins
    > >

    > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    > >
    > > > If you have applied a Service Pack, these files may have been moved to a
    > > > different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct the
    > > > routine to that folder.
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Russ Valentine
    > > > [MVP-Outlook]
    > > > "potatoskins" <potatoskins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > > > Hi, I'm also having the same problem...thought my computer had a built-in modem for faxing...but I can't get a dial tone...also have broadband/DSL modem. What should I do to be able to fax?

    Right, I have just checked in my ServicePackFiles for i386, but all it offers
    is fxscfgwz, and that is then denied too! Am I right in think that broadband
    doesn't support faxes.

    "Cindy" wrote:

    > "ciwstudybabe" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, I'm having the same problem. i'm prompted for files that need to be
    > > copied from my Windows XP CD. i have the Windows XP recovery disk that came
    > > with my PC when I bought it new, but I have the idea that as it's a recovery
    > > disk it would be unwise to run it again. (deletion of current Windows Xp
    > > operating system)
    > > My PC has a built-in modem, and I'm using Broadband through a SpeedTouch
    > > ADSL Modem. Am I having no dial -tone because faxes can't be run through
    > > broadband connections and also I don't have the built-in modem connected to
    > > the phone line.
    > > The fax software (mightyFax) detects the built-in modem?
    > > I have also installed Service Pack 2, and a complete mcAfee Security Suite.
    > > Any Ideas please?
    > >
    > > "potatoskins" wrote:
    > >
    > > > tried redirecting to servicepack\i386 but I'm still being asked for files. I
    > > > don't have the XP CD either as XP was already on my PC when I got it.
    > > > --
    > > > potatoskins

    Of course.
    Fax uses phone lines.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "ciwstudybabe" <ciwstudybabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Right, I have just checked in my ServicePackFiles for i386, but all it
    > offers
    > is fxscfgwz, and that is then denied too! Am I right in think that
    > broadband
    > doesn't support faxes.
    >
    > "Cindy" wrote:
    >

    >> "ciwstudybabe" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi, I'm having the same problem. i'm prompted for files that need to
    >> > be
    >> > copied from my Windows XP CD. i have the Windows XP recovery disk that
    >> > came
    >> > with my PC when I bought it new, but I have the idea that as it's a
    >> > recovery
    >> > disk it would be unwise to run it again. (deletion of current Windows
    >> > Xp
    >> > operating system)
    >> > My PC has a built-in modem, and I'm using Broadband through a
    >> > SpeedTouch
    >> > ADSL Modem. Am I having no dial -tone because faxes can't be run
    >> > through
    >> > broadband connections and also I don't have the built-in modem
    >> > connected to
    >> > the phone line.
    >> > The fax software (mightyFax) detects the built-in modem?
    >> > I have also installed Service Pack 2, and a complete mcAfee Security
    >> > Suite.
    >> > Any Ideas please?

    Several people have successfully fixed this problem with this article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884018
    You cannot add a Windows component in Windows XP

    "This problem occurs because the security database is corrupted.". The
    Esentutl.exe utility procedure is listed here:

    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlView.jsp?soid=891986&ref=AI&ct=SB&IL=EN&QS=can't+install+windows+components&OS=&CN=10&BV_SessionID=@@@@0605524489.1111529783@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceaddeehkgjehcgfkceghdgngdgmm.0&ProductMenu_1=(All+Models)&ProductMenu_2=-------------------------------&ST=1&SortOrder=LT_WEIGHT&awhit=2
    Error Copying Files When Installing IIS Under Windows XP Professional

    The hotfix listed in the first article may resolve the issue also, however,
    I've not yet seen any posts that say it does.

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

    > tried redirecting to servicepack\i386 but I'm still being asked for files.
    > don't have the XP CD either as XP was already on my PC when I got it.
    > --
    > potatoskins
    >

    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    > > If you have applied a Service Pack, these files may have been moved to a
    > > different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct
    the
    > > routine to that folder.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Russ Valentine
    > > [MVP-Outlook]
    > > "potatoskins" <potatoskins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > When I try to add fax as a windows component in the control panel, I
    get
    > > > prompt for windows xp professional service pack 2 CD-ROM or i386
    folder.
    > > > Service Pack 2 is installed on my pc, I've done a search for the i386
    > > > folder
    > > > and found it in windows\driver cache but what do I do from there? I
    keep
    > > > having to abort the installation process.
    > > >
    > > > Can anyone help??!!
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > potatoskins

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Several people have successfully fixed this problem with this article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884018
    You cannot add a Windows component in Windows XP

    "This problem occurs because the security database is corrupted.". The
    Esentutl.exe utility procedure is listed here:

    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlView.jsp?soid=891986&ref=AI&ct=SB&IL=EN&QS=can't+install+windows+components&OS=&CN=10&BV_SessionID=@@@@0605524489.1111529783@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceaddeehkgjehcgfkceghdgngdgmm.0&ProductMenu_1=(All+Models)&ProductMenu_2=-------------------------------&ST=1&SortOrder=LT_WEIGHT&awhit=2
    Error Copying Files When Installing IIS Under Windows XP Professional

    The hotfix listed in the first article may resolve the issue also, however,
    I've not yet seen any posts that say it does.

    This all REQUIRES a standart analog fax modem connected to a regular
    telephone line. With DSL, you have two options:

    1. You obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard voice
    telephone to the DSL line, then connect your analog fax modem to the line
    through the line filter; you cannot use your DSL "modem" because it isn't a
    modem, its a Network Interface Device. Your DSL provider has these filters,
    as does your local Radio Shack store:

    http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F004%5F002%5F000&Page=1&find=dsl%20filter(keyword)

    2. You hire an Internet E-faxing service:

    http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#internetfax
    Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
    http://www.savetz.com/fax/
    FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?

    With any other form of broadband, only options #2 is available

    Hal
    --

    > Hi, I'm having the same problem. i'm prompted for files that need to be
    > copied from my Windows XP CD. i have the Windows XP recovery disk that
    came
    > with my PC when I bought it new, but I have the idea that as it's a
    recovery
    > disk it would be unwise to run it again. (deletion of current Windows Xp
    > operating system)
    > My PC has a built-in modem, and I'm using Broadband through a SpeedTouch
    > ADSL Modem. Am I having no dial -tone because faxes can't be run through
    > broadband connections and also I don't have the built-in modem connected
    > the phone line.
    > The fax software (mightyFax) detects the built-in modem?
    > I have also installed Service Pack 2, and a complete mcAfee Security
    Suite.
    > Any Ideas please?
    >
    > "potatoskins" wrote:
    >
    > > tried redirecting to servicepack\i386 but I'm still being asked for
    files. I
    > > don't have the XP CD either as XP was already on my PC when I got it.
    > > --
    > > potatoskins
    > >

    > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    > >
    > > > If you have applied a Service Pack, these files may have been moved to
    > > > different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct
    the
    > > > routine to that folder.
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Russ Valentine
    > > > [MVP-Outlook]
    > > > "potatoskins" <potatoskins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    I get

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Tried the steps in the microsoft article but it's still not finding the
    required files.
    --
    potatoskins

Control Panel Fax Microsoft Windows XP