Fax not working

June 30, 2005 8:56:01 PM

When I try to add fax as a windows component in the control panel, I get a
prompt for windows xp professional service pack 2 CD-ROM or i386 folder.
Service Pack 2 is installed on my pc, I've done a search for the i386 folder
and found it in windows\driver cache but what do I do from there? I keep
having to abort the installation process.

Can anyone help??!!

--
potatoskins

More about : fax working

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 11:36:02 PM

If you have applied a Service Pack, these files may have been moved to a
different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct the
routine to that folder.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"potatoskins" <potatoskins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to add fax as a windows component in the control panel, I get
> prompt for windows xp professional service pack 2 CD-ROM or i386 folder.
> Service Pack 2 is installed on my pc, I've done a search for the i386
> folder
> and found it in windows\driver cache but what do I do from there? I keep
> having to abort the installation process.
>
> Can anyone help??!!
>
> --
> potatoskins
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 8:50:03 AM

tried redirecting to servicepack\i386 but I'm still being asked for files. I
don't have the XP CD either as XP was already on my PC when I got it.
--
potatoskins

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> If you have applied a Service Pack, these files may have been moved to a
> different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct the
> routine to that folder.
>

> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "potatoskins" <potatoskins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I try to add fax as a windows component in the control panel, I get
> > prompt for windows xp professional service pack 2 CD-ROM or i386 folder.
> > Service Pack 2 is installed on my pc, I've done a search for the i386
> > folder
> > and found it in windows\driver cache but what do I do from there? I keep
> > having to abort the installation process.
> >
> > Can anyone help??!!
> >
> > --
> > potatoskins

July 1, 2005 11:06:03 AM

Hi, I'm having the same problem. i'm prompted for files that need to be
copied from my Windows XP CD. i have the Windows XP recovery disk that came
with my PC when I bought it new, but I have the idea that as it's a recovery
disk it would be unwise to run it again. (deletion of current Windows Xp
operating system)
My PC has a built-in modem, and I'm using Broadband through a SpeedTouch
ADSL Modem. Am I having no dial -tone because faxes can't be run through
broadband connections and also I don't have the built-in modem connected to
the phone line.
The fax software (mightyFax) detects the built-in modem?
I have also installed Service Pack 2, and a complete mcAfee Security Suite.
Any Ideas please?

"potatoskins" wrote:

> tried redirecting to servicepack\i386 but I'm still being asked for files. I
> don't have the XP CD either as XP was already on my PC when I got it.
> --
> potatoskins
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
> > If you have applied a Service Pack, these files may have been moved to a
> > different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct the
> > routine to that folder.
> >

> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "potatoskins" <potatoskins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > When I try to add fax as a windows component in the control panel, I get
> > > prompt for windows xp professional service pack 2 CD-ROM or i386 folder.
> > > Service Pack 2 is installed on my pc, I've done a search for the i386
> > > folder
> > > and found it in windows\driver cache but what do I do from there? I keep
> > > having to abort the installation process.
> > >
> > > Can anyone help??!!
> > >
> > > --
> > > potatoskins

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 11:13:06 AM

"ciwstudybabe" wrote:

> Hi, I'm having the same problem. i'm prompted for files that need to be
> copied from my Windows XP CD. i have the Windows XP recovery disk that came
> with my PC when I bought it new, but I have the idea that as it's a recovery
> disk it would be unwise to run it again. (deletion of current Windows Xp
> operating system)
> My PC has a built-in modem, and I'm using Broadband through a SpeedTouch
> ADSL Modem. Am I having no dial -tone because faxes can't be run through
> broadband connections and also I don't have the built-in modem connected to
> the phone line.
> The fax software (mightyFax) detects the built-in modem?
> I have also installed Service Pack 2, and a complete mcAfee Security Suite.
> Any Ideas please?
>
> "potatoskins" wrote:
>
> > tried redirecting to servicepack\i386 but I'm still being asked for files. I
> > don't have the XP CD either as XP was already on my PC when I got it.
> > --
> > potatoskins
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> > > If you have applied a Service Pack, these files may have been moved to a
> > > different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct the
> > > routine to that folder.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Russ Valentine
> > > [MVP-Outlook]
> > > "potatoskins" <potatoskins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > Hi, I'm also having the same problem...thought my computer had a built-in modem for faxing...but I can't get a dial tone...also have broadband/DSL modem. What should I do to be able to fax?

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 11:31:06 AM

Right, I have just checked in my ServicePackFiles for i386, but all it offers
is fxscfgwz, and that is then denied too! Am I right in think that broadband
doesn't support faxes.

"Cindy" wrote:

> "ciwstudybabe" wrote:
>
> > Hi, I'm having the same problem. i'm prompted for files that need to be
> > copied from my Windows XP CD. i have the Windows XP recovery disk that came
> > with my PC when I bought it new, but I have the idea that as it's a recovery
> > disk it would be unwise to run it again. (deletion of current Windows Xp
> > operating system)
> > My PC has a built-in modem, and I'm using Broadband through a SpeedTouch
> > ADSL Modem. Am I having no dial -tone because faxes can't be run through
> > broadband connections and also I don't have the built-in modem connected to
> > the phone line.
> > The fax software (mightyFax) detects the built-in modem?
> > I have also installed Service Pack 2, and a complete mcAfee Security Suite.
> > Any Ideas please?
> >
> > "potatoskins" wrote:
> >
> > > tried redirecting to servicepack\i386 but I'm still being asked for files. I
> > > don't have the XP CD either as XP was already on my PC when I got it.
> > > --
> > > potatoskins

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 4:39:08 PM

Of course.
Fax uses phone lines.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"ciwstudybabe" <ciwstudybabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Right, I have just checked in my ServicePackFiles for i386, but all it
> offers
> is fxscfgwz, and that is then denied too! Am I right in think that
> broadband
> doesn't support faxes.
>
> "Cindy" wrote:
>

>> "ciwstudybabe" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi, I'm having the same problem. i'm prompted for files that need to
>> > be
>> > copied from my Windows XP CD. i have the Windows XP recovery disk that
>> > came
>> > with my PC when I bought it new, but I have the idea that as it's a
>> > recovery
>> > disk it would be unwise to run it again. (deletion of current Windows
>> > Xp
>> > operating system)
>> > My PC has a built-in modem, and I'm using Broadband through a
>> > SpeedTouch
>> > ADSL Modem. Am I having no dial -tone because faxes can't be run
>> > through
>> > broadband connections and also I don't have the built-in modem
>> > connected to
>> > the phone line.
>> > The fax software (mightyFax) detects the built-in modem?
>> > I have also installed Service Pack 2, and a complete mcAfee Security
>> > Suite.
>> > Any Ideas please?

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 11:43:50 PM

Several people have successfully fixed this problem with this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884018
You cannot add a Windows component in Windows XP

"This problem occurs because the security database is corrupted.". The
Esentutl.exe utility procedure is listed here:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlVie...'t+install+windows+components&OS=&CN=10&BV_SessionID=@@@@0605524489.1111529783@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceaddeehkgjehcgfkceghdgngdgmm.0&ProductMenu_1=(All+Models)&ProductMenu_2=-------------------------------&ST=1&SortOrder=LT_WEIGHT&awhit=2
Error Copying Files When Installing IIS Under Windows XP Professional

The hotfix listed in the first article may resolve the issue also, however,
I've not yet seen any posts that say it does.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

> tried redirecting to servicepack\i386 but I'm still being asked for files.
> don't have the XP CD either as XP was already on my PC when I got it.
> --
> potatoskins
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
> > If you have applied a Service Pack, these files may have been moved to a
> > different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct
the
> > routine to that folder.
> >

> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "potatoskins" <potatoskins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > When I try to add fax as a windows component in the control panel, I
get
> > > prompt for windows xp professional service pack 2 CD-ROM or i386
folder.
> > > Service Pack 2 is installed on my pc, I've done a search for the i386
> > > folder
> > > and found it in windows\driver cache but what do I do from there? I
keep
> > > having to abort the installation process.
> > >
> > > Can anyone help??!!
> > >
> > > --
> > > potatoskins

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 11:46:54 PM

Several people have successfully fixed this problem with this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884018
You cannot add a Windows component in Windows XP

"This problem occurs because the security database is corrupted.". The
Esentutl.exe utility procedure is listed here:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlVie...'t+install+windows+components&OS=&CN=10&BV_SessionID=@@@@0605524489.1111529783@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceaddeehkgjehcgfkceghdgngdgmm.0&ProductMenu_1=(All+Models)&ProductMenu_2=-------------------------------&ST=1&SortOrder=LT_WEIGHT&awhit=2
Error Copying Files When Installing IIS Under Windows XP Professional

The hotfix listed in the first article may resolve the issue also, however,
I've not yet seen any posts that say it does.

This all REQUIRES a standart analog fax modem connected to a regular
telephone line. With DSL, you have two options:

1. You obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard voice
telephone to the DSL line, then connect your analog fax modem to the line
through the line filter; you cannot use your DSL "modem" because it isn't a
modem, its a Network Interface Device. Your DSL provider has these filters,
as does your local Radio Shack store:

http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=C...(keyword)

2. You hire an Internet E-faxing service:

http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#intern...
Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
http://www.savetz.com/fax/
FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?

With any other form of broadband, only options #2 is available

Hal
--

> Hi, I'm having the same problem. i'm prompted for files that need to be
> copied from my Windows XP CD. i have the Windows XP recovery disk that
came
> with my PC when I bought it new, but I have the idea that as it's a
recovery
> disk it would be unwise to run it again. (deletion of current Windows Xp
> operating system)
> My PC has a built-in modem, and I'm using Broadband through a SpeedTouch
> ADSL Modem. Am I having no dial -tone because faxes can't be run through
> broadband connections and also I don't have the built-in modem connected
> the phone line.
> The fax software (mightyFax) detects the built-in modem?
> I have also installed Service Pack 2, and a complete mcAfee Security
Suite.
> Any Ideas please?
>
> "potatoskins" wrote:
>
> > tried redirecting to servicepack\i386 but I'm still being asked for
files. I
> > don't have the XP CD either as XP was already on my PC when I got it.
> > --
> > potatoskins
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> > > If you have applied a Service Pack, these files may have been moved to
> > > different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct
the
> > > routine to that folder.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Russ Valentine
> > > [MVP-Outlook]
> > > "potatoskins" <potatoskins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I get

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 12:29:02 PM

Tried the steps in the microsoft article but it's still not finding the
required files.
--
potatoskins

!