Fax not working

When I try to add fax as a windows component in the control panel, I get a
prompt for windows xp professional service pack 2 CD-ROM or i386 folder.
Service Pack 2 is installed on my pc, I've done a search for the i386 folder
and found it in windows\driver cache but what do I do from there? I don't
have a CD either so I keep having to abort the installation process.

Can anyone help??!!

--
potatoskins

Byte

When you did a search for i386 you should have found more than one.
Select this one: C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
Using Add/remove Windows components clicking the Browse button,
navigate to the above i386 directory and doubleclick it.
--
Some days you're the windshield,
some days you're the bug.

"potatoskins" wrote:

> When I try to add fax as a windows component in the control panel, I get a
> prompt for windows xp professional service pack 2 CD-ROM or i386 folder.
> Service Pack 2 is installed on my pc, I've done a search for the i386 folder
> and found it in windows\driver cache but what do I do from there? I don't
> have a CD either so I keep having to abort the installation process.
>
> Can anyone help??!!
>
> --
> potatoskins

Tried this but some files still cannot be found. Have also tried the steps in
the microsoft article re. trouble adding/removing windows components'. Have
even tried changing the reference to the I386 folder in the registry but to
no avail.

Any other ideas?
--
potatoskins

"Byte" wrote:

> When you did a search for i386 you should have found more than one.
> Select this one: C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
> Using Add/remove Windows components clicking the Browse button,
> navigate to the above i386 directory and doubleclick it.
> --
> Some days you're the windshield,
> some days you're the bug.
>

> "potatoskins" wrote:
>
> > When I try to add fax as a windows component in the control panel, I get a
> > prompt for windows xp professional service pack 2 CD-ROM or i386 folder.
> > Service Pack 2 is installed on my pc, I've done a search for the i386 folder
> > and found it in windows\driver cache but what do I do from there? I don't
> > have a CD either so I keep having to abort the installation process.
> >
> > Can anyone help??!!
> >
> > --
> > potatoskins

Byte

How many copies of i386 did you find on your harddrive when you ran
the search feature? I ran mine and found nine copies. Did you try the one
with software distribution? In that you do not have a WindowsXP installation
CD (why not?), do you have a scanner connected? Most scanners software
come with a Fax feature when installed. You may have to go that route for
the XP feature is plagued with problems in the first place.
BTW: You could borrow a friends copy of XP just to install the fax feature.
It
may or may not work.
---------------------

"potatoskins" wrote:

> Tried this but some files still cannot be found. Have also tried the steps in
> the microsoft article re. trouble adding/removing windows components'. Have
> even tried changing the reference to the I386 folder in the registry but to
> no avail.
>
> Any other ideas?
> --
> potatoskins
>

> "Byte" wrote:
>
> > When you did a search for i386 you should have found more than one.
> > Select this one: C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
> > Using Add/remove Windows components clicking the Browse button,
> > navigate to the above i386 directory and doubleclick it.
> > --
> > Some days you're the windshield,
> > some days you're the bug.
> >

> > "potatoskins" wrote:
> >
> > > When I try to add fax as a windows component in the control panel, I get a
> > > prompt for windows xp professional service pack 2 CD-ROM or i386 folder.
> > > Service Pack 2 is installed on my pc, I've done a search for the i386 folder
> > > and found it in windows\driver cache but what do I do from there? I don't
> > > have a CD either so I keep having to abort the installation process.
> > >
> > > Can anyone help??!!
> > >
> > > --
> > > potatoskins

Tried that too, it doesn't work. Why can't setup find the files - they are
clearly all there??!!
--
potatoskins