Fax not working

When I try to add fax as a windows component in the control panel, I get a
prompt for windows xp professional service pack 2 CD-ROM or i386 folder.
Service Pack 2 is installed on my pc, I've done a search for the i386 folder
and found it in windows\driver cache but what do I do from there? I don't
have a CD either so I keep having to abort the installation process.

Can anyone help??!!

--
potatoskins
4 answers Last reply

    When you did a search for i386 you should have found more than one.
    Select this one: C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
    Using Add/remove Windows components clicking the Browse button,
    navigate to the above i386 directory and doubleclick it.
    --
    Some days you're the windshield,
    some days you're the bug.

    "potatoskins" wrote:

    > When I try to add fax as a windows component in the control panel, I get a
    > prompt for windows xp professional service pack 2 CD-ROM or i386 folder.
    > Service Pack 2 is installed on my pc, I've done a search for the i386 folder
    > and found it in windows\driver cache but what do I do from there? I don't
    > have a CD either so I keep having to abort the installation process.
    >
    > Can anyone help??!!
    >
    > --
    > potatoskins

    Tried this but some files still cannot be found. Have also tried the steps in
    the microsoft article re. trouble adding/removing windows components'. Have
    even tried changing the reference to the I386 folder in the registry but to
    no avail.

    Any other ideas?
    --
    potatoskins

    "Byte" wrote:

    > When you did a search for i386 you should have found more than one.
    > Select this one: C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
    > Using Add/remove Windows components clicking the Browse button,
    > navigate to the above i386 directory and doubleclick it.
    > --
    > Some days you're the windshield,
    > some days you're the bug.
    >

    > "potatoskins" wrote:
    >
    > > When I try to add fax as a windows component in the control panel, I get a
    > > prompt for windows xp professional service pack 2 CD-ROM or i386 folder.
    > > Service Pack 2 is installed on my pc, I've done a search for the i386 folder
    > > and found it in windows\driver cache but what do I do from there? I don't
    > > have a CD either so I keep having to abort the installation process.
    > >
    > > Can anyone help??!!
    > >
    > > --
    > > potatoskins

    How many copies of i386 did you find on your harddrive when you ran
    the search feature? I ran mine and found nine copies. Did you try the one
    with software distribution? In that you do not have a WindowsXP installation
    CD (why not?), do you have a scanner connected? Most scanners software
    come with a Fax feature when installed. You may have to go that route for
    the XP feature is plagued with problems in the first place.
    BTW: You could borrow a friends copy of XP just to install the fax feature.
    It
    may or may not work.
    ---------------------

    "potatoskins" wrote:

    > Tried this but some files still cannot be found. Have also tried the steps in
    > the microsoft article re. trouble adding/removing windows components'. Have
    > even tried changing the reference to the I386 folder in the registry but to
    > no avail.
    >
    > Any other ideas?
    > --
    > potatoskins
    >

    > "Byte" wrote:
    >
    > > When you did a search for i386 you should have found more than one.
    > > Select this one: C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
    > > Using Add/remove Windows components clicking the Browse button,
    > > navigate to the above i386 directory and doubleclick it.
    > > --
    > > Some days you're the windshield,
    > > some days you're the bug.
    > >

    > > "potatoskins" wrote:
    > >
    > > > When I try to add fax as a windows component in the control panel, I get a
    > > > prompt for windows xp professional service pack 2 CD-ROM or i386 folder.
    > > > Service Pack 2 is installed on my pc, I've done a search for the i386 folder
    > > > and found it in windows\driver cache but what do I do from there? I don't
    > > > have a CD either so I keep having to abort the installation process.
    > > >
    > > > Can anyone help??!!
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > potatoskins

    Tried that too, it doesn't work. Why can't setup find the files - they are
    clearly all there??!!
    --
    potatoskins

    "Byte" wrote:

    > How many copies of i386 did you find on your harddrive when you ran
    > the search feature? I ran mine and found nine copies. Did you try the one
    > with software distribution? In that you do not have a WindowsXP installation
    > CD (why not?), do you have a scanner connected? Most scanners software
    > come with a Fax feature when installed. You may have to go that route for
    > the XP feature is plagued with problems in the first place.
    > BTW: You could borrow a friends copy of XP just to install the fax feature.
    > It
    > may or may not work.
    > ---------------------
    > Some days you're the windshield,
    > some days you're the bug.
    >

    > "potatoskins" wrote:
    >
    > > Tried this but some files still cannot be found. Have also tried the steps in
    > > the microsoft article re. trouble adding/removing windows components'. Have
    > > even tried changing the reference to the I386 folder in the registry but to
    > > no avail.
    > >
    > > Any other ideas?
    > > --
    > > potatoskins
    > >

    > > "Byte" wrote:
    > >
    > > > When you did a search for i386 you should have found more than one.
    > > > Select this one: C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
    > > > Using Add/remove Windows components clicking the Browse button,
    > > > navigate to the above i386 directory and doubleclick it.
    > > > --
    > > > Some days you're the windshield,
    > > > some days you're the bug.

Fax CD-Rom Windows XP