Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Heads up for 6340i users with the GAIT plan

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 9:13:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I'm just wondering if anyone else has run into problems trying to
upgrade phones or change plans from a 6340i on the GAIT plan...
Recently, I wanted to get my wife a cell phone and add it to my
account. Since she isn't really as much into the latest and greatest
phone, she was going to take my 6340i and I was going to pick out a
new phone to add to my account. When we spoke with Cingular we were
told that I couldn't add a GSM phone to the account and switch to a
GSM plan so both phones would be on the GSM plan (even though the
6340i is capabable of GSM). They said the 6340i was not a "true GSM
phone". So, reluctantly, my wife looked at all of the phones and
picked out a GSM phone too. At this point we were going to buy two
brand new phones. I was 6 months through a 12 month contract and
wanted to cancel the remaining contract and have both of the new
phones start a new 2 year contract. After dealing with both one of
the Cingular store employees and the manager I was told that in order
to perform the upgrade and add-on of the additional phone I would have
to "buy out" the remainder of the contract which was $120.
Coincidentally that was also the amount it would cost to cancel my
service entirely. I was completely shocked that they wanted me to pay
$120 in addition to buying two new phones and replacing my remaining 6
months with 2 full years. I had never heard of such a crazy thing!
Needless to say, I canceled my contract and switched to a new
provider.
April 17, 2004 1:23:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Kevin Daniel" <kevin_daniel@runbox.com> wrote in message
news:366246f6.0404170413.51190967@posting.google.com...
> I'm just wondering if anyone else has run into problems trying to
> upgrade phones or change plans from a 6340i on the GAIT plan...
> Recently, I wanted to get my wife a cell phone and add it to my
> account. Since she isn't really as much into the latest and greatest
> phone, she was going to take my 6340i and I was going to pick out a
> new phone to add to my account. When we spoke with Cingular we were
> told that I couldn't add a GSM phone to the account and switch to a
> GSM plan so both phones would be on the GSM plan (even though the
> 6340i is capabable of GSM). They said the 6340i was not a "true GSM
> phone". So, reluctantly, my wife looked at all of the phones and
> picked out a GSM phone too. At this point we were going to buy two
> brand new phones. I was 6 months through a 12 month contract and
> wanted to cancel the remaining contract and have both of the new
> phones start a new 2 year contract. After dealing with both one of
> the Cingular store employees and the manager I was told that in order
> to perform the upgrade and add-on of the additional phone I would have
> to "buy out" the remainder of the contract which was $120.
> Coincidentally that was also the amount it would cost to cancel my
> service entirely. I was completely shocked that they wanted me to pay
> $120 in addition to buying two new phones and replacing my remaining 6
> months with 2 full years. I had never heard of such a crazy thing!
> Needless to say, I canceled my contract and switched to a new
> provider

You can upgrade service at any time as far as I know without penalty. You
can also use a 6340i for gsm only. Sounds like the dealer was looking to
sell some new phones. I would have called cingular and talked to them.
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 3:00:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I have two 6340i's and one t720 (gsm) on a shared minutes family plan.
Steve

"Rock" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:NYGdnTYpwKoEshzdRVn-hQ@wideopenwest.com...
>
> "Kevin Daniel" <kevin_daniel@runbox.com> wrote in message
> news:366246f6.0404170413.51190967@posting.google.com...
> > I'm just wondering if anyone else has run into problems trying to
> > upgrade phones or change plans from a 6340i on the GAIT plan...
> > Recently, I wanted to get my wife a cell phone and add it to my
> > account. Since she isn't really as much into the latest and greatest
> > phone, she was going to take my 6340i and I was going to pick out a
> > new phone to add to my account. When we spoke with Cingular we were
> > told that I couldn't add a GSM phone to the account and switch to a
> > GSM plan so both phones would be on the GSM plan (even though the
> > 6340i is capabable of GSM). They said the 6340i was not a "true GSM
> > phone". So, reluctantly, my wife looked at all of the phones and
> > picked out a GSM phone too. At this point we were going to buy two
> > brand new phones. I was 6 months through a 12 month contract and
> > wanted to cancel the remaining contract and have both of the new
> > phones start a new 2 year contract. After dealing with both one of
> > the Cingular store employees and the manager I was told that in order
> > to perform the upgrade and add-on of the additional phone I would have
> > to "buy out" the remainder of the contract which was $120.
> > Coincidentally that was also the amount it would cost to cancel my
> > service entirely. I was completely shocked that they wanted me to pay
> > $120 in addition to buying two new phones and replacing my remaining 6
> > months with 2 full years. I had never heard of such a crazy thing!
> > Needless to say, I canceled my contract and switched to a new
> > provider
>
> You can upgrade service at any time as far as I know without penalty. You
> can also use a 6340i for gsm only. Sounds like the dealer was looking to
> sell some new phones. I would have called cingular and talked to them.
>
>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 7:48:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 09:23:30 -0400, "Rock" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>
>"Kevin Daniel" <kevin_daniel@runbox.com> wrote in message
>news:366246f6.0404170413.51190967@posting.google.com...
>> I'm just wondering if anyone else has run into problems trying to
>> upgrade phones or change plans from a 6340i on the GAIT plan...
>> Recently, I wanted to get my wife a cell phone and add it to my
>> account. Since she isn't really as much into the latest and greatest
>> phone, she was going to take my 6340i and I was going to pick out a
>> new phone to add to my account. When we spoke with Cingular we were
>> told that I couldn't add a GSM phone to the account and switch to a
>> GSM plan so both phones would be on the GSM plan (even though the
>> 6340i is capabable of GSM). They said the 6340i was not a "true GSM
>> phone". So, reluctantly, my wife looked at all of the phones and
>> picked out a GSM phone too. At this point we were going to buy two
>> brand new phones. I was 6 months through a 12 month contract and
>> wanted to cancel the remaining contract and have both of the new
>> phones start a new 2 year contract. After dealing with both one of
>> the Cingular store employees and the manager I was told that in order
>> to perform the upgrade and add-on of the additional phone I would have
>> to "buy out" the remainder of the contract which was $120.
>> Coincidentally that was also the amount it would cost to cancel my
>> service entirely. I was completely shocked that they wanted me to pay
>> $120 in addition to buying two new phones and replacing my remaining 6
>> months with 2 full years. I had never heard of such a crazy thing!
>> Needless to say, I canceled my contract and switched to a new
>> provider
>
>You can upgrade service at any time as far as I know without penalty. You
>can also use a 6340i for gsm only. Sounds like the dealer was looking to
>sell some new phones. I would have called cingular and talked to them.
>
I tour the local Cingular Dealers here in my small town and ask people
that have Cingular what they do. I find a wide variance of answers. I
was told that my 6340i would work just fine after June 11 2004 on GSM
and i need not rush out to buy a smart phone. Being a newbie to
wireless phones and Cingular, got my first bill noticed that i did not
have detailed billing. A must unless you pay a fixed flat rate. The
Cingular flyer for my plan said detailed billing was included. Called
customer service and was told it was not part of my plan. Told the guy
very nicely that i had a current flyer in my hand that said it was
included for free and who did i need to talk to so i could get it. He
said give me two minutes and i will get it for you no charge. I
checked the web site after i hung up and sure enough there it was
under my account at no charge....

I always remember not to get mad or upset with anyone. I had a
business for 20 years and would bend over backwards to help and refund
or make right any problem anyone had as long as they were nice to me.
I would not budge one inch or do anything for anyone who yelled and
screamed or raised their voice or gave me grief in anyway.

Oh, i can yell and scream and have been known to do it ONLY when i do
not want any help or assistance from that person ever again.

c'ya,
painfully new
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 11:27:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

>upset with anyone. I had a
>business for 20 years and would bend over backwards to help and refund
>or make right any problem anyone had as long as they were nice to me.
>I would not budge one inch or do anything for anyone who yelled and

Something I've noticed is that I can call two different 'representatives' and
get two completely different answers...I'm on the Nations plan: no roaming or
long distance EVER...and I happened to be out on a ship in the Gulf of Mexico,
and picked up some weird oceangoing provider or something...I called Cingular
and told them about the charges and the lady told me that they would not cover
charges accrued off the US Mainland, that those were 'international' charges
and I'd have to pay them...I thought 'what the heck' and started over, calling
the same customer service number, and of course got a different girl this time,
who looked at my plan and said, "You shouldn't have any roaming charges on this
account- I'll get rid of those right now..." - saved me over $275.00...so if
you don't get the results you want, just start over and see what happens...
Aaron Worley
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 7:51:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Was it a Mexican carrier by any chance? Telcel would be my guess.


"Aaron Worley" <aworley11896@aol.comjnkbgone> wrote in message
news:20040419152702.09147.00000015@mb-m15.aol.com...
> >upset with anyone. I had a
> >business for 20 years and would bend over backwards to help and refund
> >or make right any problem anyone had as long as they were nice to me.
> >I would not budge one inch or do anything for anyone who yelled and
>
> Something I've noticed is that I can call two different 'representatives'
and
> get two completely different answers...I'm on the Nations plan: no roaming
or
> long distance EVER...and I happened to be out on a ship in the Gulf of
Mexico,
> and picked up some weird oceangoing provider or something...I called
Cingular
> and told them about the charges and the lady told me that they would not
cover
> charges accrued off the US Mainland, that those were 'international'
charges
> and I'd have to pay them...I thought 'what the heck' and started over,
calling
> the same customer service number, and of course got a different girl this
time,
> who looked at my plan and said, "You shouldn't have any roaming charges on
this
> account- I'll get rid of those right now..." - saved me over $275.00...so
if
> you don't get the results you want, just start over and see what
happens...
> Aaron Worley
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 12:34:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I have a GSM Region plan and use both a GSM phone and the 6340i with
it. It took 5-6 calls to customer service before I could find a rep
that would add the 6340i to work on my plan, but with a little
perserverance I made it work. Sounds like you picked a bad dealer and
didn't have the patience to another one that would have been helpful.

kevin_daniel@runbox.com (Kevin Daniel) wrote in message news:<366246f6.0404170413.51190967@posting.google.com>...
> I'm just wondering if anyone else has run into problems trying to
> upgrade phones or change plans from a 6340i on the GAIT plan...
> Recently, I wanted to get my wife a cell phone and add it to my
> account. Since she isn't really as much into the latest and greatest
> phone, she was going to take my 6340i and I was going to pick out a
> new phone to add to my account. When we spoke with Cingular we were
> told that I couldn't add a GSM phone to the account and switch to a
> GSM plan so both phones would be on the GSM plan (even though the
> 6340i is capabable of GSM). They said the 6340i was not a "true GSM
> phone". So, reluctantly, my wife looked at all of the phones and
> picked out a GSM phone too. At this point we were going to buy two
> brand new phones. I was 6 months through a 12 month contract and
> wanted to cancel the remaining contract and have both of the new
> phones start a new 2 year contract. After dealing with both one of
> the Cingular store employees and the manager I was told that in order
> to perform the upgrade and add-on of the additional phone I would have
> to "buy out" the remainder of the contract which was $120.
> Coincidentally that was also the amount it would cost to cancel my
> service entirely. I was completely shocked that they wanted me to pay
> $120 in addition to buying two new phones and replacing my remaining 6
> months with 2 full years. I had never heard of such a crazy thing!
> Needless to say, I canceled my contract and switched to a new
> provider.
!