strange inet connection sharing problems..pls help

first of all, thanks for reading this long post...this problem has been driving me crazy for months...

a description of the network:
cable modem -> win2k server -> switch -> xp and 98 workstations
the win2k server has two NIC's and inet connection sharing.

several months ago, i noticed webpages stopped loading consistently. i didn't pay much attention to it, thought the problem was temporary. after about a week, it got annoying, so i started digging around, and noticed that webpages on the server itself load consistently and quickly.

here's what happens on the workstations: common pages like yahoo load every time. others, like conversatron.com will sit for a while, time out (page cannot be displayed), and end up loading on the 3rd or 4th try. even when it would load, most of the images would be missing. in the meantime, things like POP, SMTP, and news work just fine. i'm able to download things from the news server at full speed with 100% consistency. this problem is reproducible in all browsers, so it's not just IE. also, it's not DNS, as ping resolves all urls correctly and instantly.

my futile attempts at correcting it:
-switched to Routing instead of ICS - no effect, switched back
-new NICs - no effect - not a hardware problem

finally, i got a spare drive and installed a fresh copy of win2k on it. voila! problem gone...but now i'd have to spend weeks reinstalling everything from SQL server to the mail server to my webs, etc. major PIA.

my question is this...does anyone have a clue as to what's going on, and how i can resolve it without formatting and starting over?

~Crapple0

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
5 answers Last reply
More about strange inet connection sharing problems help
  1. did you try re-installing TCP/IP on the 2K server?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
  2. how?

~Crapple0

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
  3. delete it and then add it

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
  4. go to network properties, conenction properties, you will see it.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?
  5. thanks! that worked wonders. can't believe i didn't think to do this myself

~Crapple0

Ask a new question

Read More

Connection Servers Networking