Faxing-no dial tone

I keep trying to send an outgoing fax, but it fails because it doesn't detect
a dial tone. I just started using DSL through Verizon and use AOL also. Is
there a connection between the no dial tone & DSL service? Please help, I
need to get out some resumes! How do I get the fax to send out? Thanks.
23 answers Last reply
More about faxing dial tone

    There is no dial-tone using DSL or Cable. You'll have to use your 56K
    analog modem to Fax. There are ways where you can set it up to Fax with DSL.

    1. You obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard voice
    telephone to the DSL line, then connect an analog fax modem to the line
    through the line filter. Your DSL provider has these filters, so does your
    local Radio Shack store:

    http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F004%5F002%5F000&Page=1&find=dsl%20filter(keyword)

    2. You hire an Internet E-faxing service:

    http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#internetfax
    Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
    http://www.savetz.com/fax/
    FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?
    Courtesy of:
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    Some days you're the windshield,
    some days you're the bug.

    "Cindy" wrote:

    > I keep trying to send an outgoing fax, but it fails because it doesn't detect
    > a dial tone. I just started using DSL through Verizon and use AOL also. Is
    > there a connection between the no dial tone & DSL service? Please help, I
    > need to get out some resumes! How do I get the fax to send out? Thanks.

    Thank you, Byte -- I still need some help. I do have extra filters that came
    with my DSL kit -- are they the ones you're talking about? And, can you tell
    me the steps to connecting the standard voice telephone & analog fax
    modem..how do I do that? I need details step by step, if you could help?

    "Byte" wrote:

    > There is no dial-tone using DSL or Cable. You'll have to use your 56K
    > analog modem to Fax. There are ways where you can set it up to Fax with DSL.
    >
    > 1. You obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard voice
    > telephone to the DSL line, then connect an analog fax modem to the line
    > through the line filter. Your DSL provider has these filters, so does your
    > local Radio Shack store:
    >
    > http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F004%5F002%5F000&Page=1&find=dsl%20filter(keyword)
    >
    > 2. You hire an Internet E-faxing service:
    >
    > http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#internetfax
    > Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
    > http://www.savetz.com/fax/
    > FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?
    > Courtesy of:
    > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-S/U -- WA7BGX
    > Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
    > --
    > Some days you're the windshield,
    > some days you're the bug.
    >

    > "Cindy" wrote:
    >
    > > I keep trying to send an outgoing fax, but it fails because it doesn't detect
    > > a dial tone. I just started using DSL through Verizon and use AOL also. Is
    > > there a connection between the no dial tone & DSL service? Please help, I
    > > need to get out some resumes! How do I get the fax to send out? Thanks.

    Yes, please Byte, you would be helping me too! I have just looked at the
    back of my hard-drive and there is a cable coming out with a telephone plug
    at the end. I'm sorry to sound so ignorant, but I also am a little unsure
    about cables and wiring.
    Thanks.

    Cindy wrote:
    > I keep trying to send an outgoing fax, but it fails because it
    > doesn't detect a dial tone. I just started using DSL through Verizon
    > and use AOL also. Is there a connection between the no dial tone &
    > DSL service? Please help, I need to get out some resumes! How do I
    > get the fax to send out? Thanks.

    Ye gods, yet another brain-dead moron. Of course there's no dial tone, how
    can there be? You don't have a modem!

    "Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

    > Cindy wrote:
    > > I keep trying to send an outgoing fax, but it fails because it
    > > doesn't detect a dial tone. I just started using DSL through Verizon
    > > and use AOL also. Is there a connection between the no dial tone &
    > > DSL service? Please help, I need to get out some resumes! How do I
    > > get the fax to send out? Thanks.
    >
    > Ye gods, yet another brain-dead moron. Of course there's no dial tone, how
    > can there be? You don't have a modem!
    >
    > Excuse me? I'm new to the computer fax world and by your answer you proved how socially inept you are. Didn't you ever learn how to behave appropriately? If someone else would like to help me, I'd appreciate it. My new system came with the printer/fax program installed on it. I have the DSL modem and of course, my Dell computer modem, so do I need another modem?....thought it was already set up on my new computer. What do I need to send the faxes?

    Hi Cindy

    i think that we may be speaking the same language. I have a built-in modem,
    but my Internet connection is operating through a broadband modem. I think
    that I just read somewhere that if the built-in modem isn't connected to the
    internet, then I can't send faxes through my PC. The software that I have
    installed, (because I can't get my Windows XP service to install) states that
    cable, ISDN, ADSL modems can't support faxes. Is this right, anyone?
    I have to find a way to connect both of my modems????

    "Cindy" wrote:

    > "Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:
    >
    > > Cindy wrote:
    > > > I keep trying to send an outgoing fax, but it fails because it
    > > > doesn't detect a dial tone. I just started using DSL through Verizon
    > > > and use AOL also. Is there a connection between the no dial tone &
    > > > DSL service? Please help, I need to get out some resumes! How do I
    > > > get the fax to send out? Thanks.
    > >
    > > Ye gods, yet another brain-dead moron. Of course there's no dial tone, how
    > > can there be? You don't have a modem!
    > >
    > > Excuse me? I'm new to the computer fax world and by your answer you proved how socially inept you are. Didn't you ever learn how to behave appropriately? If someone else would like to help me, I'd appreciate it. My new system came with the printer/fax program installed on it. I have the DSL modem and of course, my Dell computer modem, so do I need another modem?....thought it was already set up on my new computer. What do I need to send the faxes?

    A regular or fax modem is not the same as a broadband (cable or DSL) modem. Confusingly, DSL modems connect to the telephone line. Using the filters that typically come with a DSL installation kit (or that can be purchased separately), you can connect botha a DSL modem and regular telephones (including regular or fax modems) to the same telephone line. You must have the filters on all telephone lines -- not just the one from your fax modem. If you don't do
    this, it's likely that your DSL service will not work properly. You also may hear interference on your phone calls and faxes may not work either.

    Here's a typical configuration:

    Computer "line" jack--------------DSL Filter------------------duplex adaptor-----------Wall

    Computer "phone" jack------Telephone |

    Computer Ethernet or USB jack ------DSL modem---------------|

    Your installation kit probably included a "duplex adaptor" ( http://www.pccables.com/02300.htm ). If not, you can buy one of these.

    The computer "line" or "telco" jack is the connection from your fax modem to the telephone system -- this is what will enable you to send faxes.

    The above assumes that you have two telephone jacks on the back of your computer. One labeled "phone" (or with a picture of a telephone) and the other labeled "line" or "telco" (or a picture of a wall jack). Take a look at the back of your computer. Are there any phone jacks there (they will look like your wall jack)? You may have one or two jacks (or none). See http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/7310Series/1008379rvr13.shtml for an example of what you're
    looking for. Note that you may have an "Ethernet" or network jack (right now, that may be connected to your DSL modem). An Ethernet jack looks like a phone jack but it's slightly wider. Use the plug that now plugs into the wall jack to compare -- the plug from the wall jack will fit snugly into a phone jack, but it's smaller than an Ethernet jack.

    ciwstudybabe wrote:

    > Hi Cindy
    >
    > i think that we may be speaking the same language. I have a built-in modem,
    > but my Internet connection is operating through a broadband modem. I think
    > that I just read somewhere that if the built-in modem isn't connected to the
    > internet, then I can't send faxes through my PC. The software that I have
    > installed, (because I can't get my Windows XP service to install) states that
    > cable, ISDN, ADSL modems can't support faxes. Is this right, anyone?
    > I have to find a way to connect both of my modems????
    >
    > "Cindy" wrote:

    > > > Ye gods, yet another brain-dead moron. Of course there's no dial tone, how
    > > > can there be? You don't have a modem!
    > > >
    > > > Excuse me? I'm new to the computer fax world and by your answer you proved how socially inept you are. Didn't you ever learn how to behave appropriately? If someone else would like to help me, I'd appreciate it. My new system came with the printer/fax program installed on it. I have the DSL modem and of course, my Dell computer modem, so do I need another modem?....thought it was already set up on my new computer. What do I need to send the faxes?

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Sorry -- the formatting may cause the diagram to look a bit strange. There's supposed to be a vertical line from the right side of "DSL modem" to the "duplex adaptor"

    Lem wrote:

    > A regular or fax modem is not the same as a broadband (cable or DSL) modem. Confusingly, DSL modems connect to the telephone line. Using the filters that typically come with a DSL installation kit (or that can be purchased separately), you can connect botha a DSL modem and regular telephones (including regular or fax modems) to the same telephone line. You must have the filters on all telephone lines -- not just the one from your fax modem. If you don't do
    > this, it's likely that your DSL service will not work properly. You also may hear interference on your phone calls and faxes may not work either.
    >
    > Here's a typical configuration:
    >
    > Computer "line" jack--------------DSL Filter------------------duplex adaptor-----------Wall
    > |
    > Computer "phone" jack------Telephone |
    > |
    > Computer Ethernet or USB jack ------DSL modem---------------|
    >
    > Your installation kit probably included a "duplex adaptor" ( http://www.pccables.com/02300.htm ). If not, you can buy one of these.
    >
    > The computer "line" or "telco" jack is the connection from your fax modem to the telephone system -- this is what will enable you to send faxes.
    >
    > The above assumes that you have two telephone jacks on the back of your computer. One labeled "phone" (or with a picture of a telephone) and the other labeled "line" or "telco" (or a picture of a wall jack). Take a look at the back of your computer. Are there any phone jacks there (they will look like your wall jack)? You may have one or two jacks (or none). See http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/7310Series/1008379rvr13.shtml for an example of what you're
    > looking for. Note that you may have an "Ethernet" or network jack (right now, that may be connected to your DSL modem). An Ethernet jack looks like a phone jack but it's slightly wider. Use the plug that now plugs into the wall jack to compare -- the plug from the wall jack will fit snugly into a phone jack, but it's smaller than an Ethernet jack.
    >
    > ciwstudybabe wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Cindy
    > >
    > > i think that we may be speaking the same language. I have a built-in modem,
    > > but my Internet connection is operating through a broadband modem. I think
    > > that I just read somewhere that if the built-in modem isn't connected to the
    > > internet, then I can't send faxes through my PC. The software that I have
    > > installed, (because I can't get my Windows XP service to install) states that
    > > cable, ISDN, ADSL modems can't support faxes. Is this right, anyone?
    > > I have to find a way to connect both of my modems????

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Hi Lem or Tom--
    I do have 2 phone jacks open on the back of my computer, as well as one
    ethernet jack open (the other ethernet jack is being used for my DSL) -- in
    my wall jack, I have one line connected with a filter going into telephone
    answering machine (connected to my telephone) and the other line connects to
    my DSL modem. I also have extra filters available and another split filter
    (wth 2 on 1 filtered jack)available.
    I only have 1 telephone line--can talk and go on the internet at the same
    time as well as have my son use his laptop, so can I still be able to fax?
    I'm sorry, I need all the help I can get with this:)
    "Lem" wrote:

    > A regular or fax modem is not the same as a broadband (cable or DSL) modem. Confusingly, DSL modems connect to the telephone line. Using the filters that typically come with a DSL installation kit (or that can be purchased separately), you can connect botha a DSL modem and regular telephones (including regular or fax modems) to the same telephone line. You must have the filters on all telephone lines -- not just the one from your fax modem. If you don't do
    > this, it's likely that your DSL service will not work properly. You also may hear interference on your phone calls and faxes may not work either.
    >
    > Here's a typical configuration:
    >
    > Computer "line" jack--------------DSL Filter------------------duplex adaptor-----------Wall
    > |
    > Computer "phone" jack------Telephone |
    > |
    > Computer Ethernet or USB jack ------DSL modem---------------|
    >

    > Your installation kit probably included a "duplex adaptor" ( http://www.pccables.com/02300.htm ). If not, you can buy one of these.
    >
    > The computer "line" or "telco" jack is the connection from your fax modem to the telephone system -- this is what will enable you to send faxes.
    >
    > The above assumes that you have two telephone jacks on the back of your computer. One labeled "phone" (or with a picture of a telephone) and the other labeled "line" or "telco" (or a picture of a wall jack). Take a look at the back of your computer. Are there any phone jacks there (they will look like your wall jack)? You may have one or two jacks (or none). See http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/7310Series/1008379rvr13.shtml for an example of what you're
    > looking for. Note that you may have an "Ethernet" or network jack (right now, that may be connected to your DSL modem). An Ethernet jack looks like a phone jack but it's slightly wider. Use the plug that now plugs into the wall jack to compare -- the plug from the wall jack will fit snugly into a phone jack, but it's smaller than an Ethernet jack.
    >

    > ciwstudybabe wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Cindy
    > >
    > > i think that we may be speaking the same language. I have a built-in modem,
    > > but my Internet connection is operating through a broadband modem. I think
    > > that I just read somewhere that if the built-in modem isn't connected to the
    > > internet, then I can't send faxes through my PC. The software that I have
    > > installed, (because I can't get my Windows XP service to install) states that
    > > cable, ISDN, ADSL modems can't support faxes. Is this right, anyone?
    > > I have to find a way to connect both of my modems????

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    The simplest way to think of it is that the fax/modem must connect the
    same way as a telephone.

    Since you mention having a "kit" from the ADSL supplier:

    Take one of the filters that came with the kit. Attach that to the phone
    plug (female) on the wall. If there is already a phone plugged in, get a
    two to one adapter from Radio Shack or similar source. Make sure this
    adapter is for connecting two phones to the same line. There is another
    type for splitting two separate lines from a single jack. (The wire in
    the wall must actually have the capacity-two separate phone lines). They
    should be able to assist you at the store if you are in doubt. Use one
    female connector for the phone and the other for the fax/modem.

    Plug the other end into the fax/modem. Make sure you use the correct
    jack on the modem. The other can be used to connect a phone if you
    desire. The modem plate should be marked to identify which is which. If
    one does not work, try the other.

    Also, some ADSL modems have a jack on the back, e.g. Cisco 678, for
    "telco" or somesuch. This can be used to connect the fax/modem. Try a
    phone plugged into it. If it works, the fax/modem will work. If it works
    but you hear a lot of scratchy/hissy noise. insert a filter between the
    fax/modem and jack.

    Hope this is useful.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Cindy" <Cindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    :I keep trying to send an outgoing fax, but it fails because it doesn't
    detect
    : a dial tone. I just started using DSL through Verizon and use AOL
    also. Is
    : there a connection between the no dial tone & DSL service? Please
    help, I
    : need to get out some resumes! How do I get the fax to send out?
    Thanks.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Cindy

    The two phone jacks on the back of your computer are the dialup modem.. one
    of them will be marked 'phone' and the other marked 'line'..

    Connect the output marked 'line' to a telephone jack via a filter supplied
    by the ISP.. then load the dialup modem drivers if you have not already done
    so.. check in control panel that the dialup modem is showing in the
    configuration, and run the diagnostics to check that it is ok..

    Install your fax software.. the fax software should now detect the dialup
    modem..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

> [...]
    >> plugs into the wall jack to compare -- the plug from the wall jack will
    >> fit snugly into a phone jack, but it's smaller than an Ethernet jack.
    >>

    >> ciwstudybabe wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi Cindy
    >> >
    >> > i think that we may be speaking the same language. I have a built-in
    >> > modem,
    >> > but my Internet connection is operating through a broadband modem. I
    >> > think
    >> > that I just read somewhere that if the built-in modem isn't connected
    >> > to the
    >> > internet, then I can't send faxes through my PC. The software that I
    >> > have
    >> > installed, (because I can't get my Windows XP service to install)
    >> > states that
    >> > cable, ISDN, ADSL modems can't support faxes. Is this right, anyone?
    >> > I have to find a way to connect both of my modems????

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Hi;
    Lem describes the way to set up the fax/modem to the wall jack.

    You will normally only able to use the phone connection for one purpose
    at a time: phone call or fax or the laptop fax/modem.

    For the laptop, there are various options to connect it to the ADSL
    connection if it has an Ethernet connector now or the possibility of
    adding one via cardbus or USB. In that way it would not need the phone
    line.

    : "Lem" wrote:
    :
    : > A regular or fax modem is not the same as a broadband (cable or DSL)
    modem. Confusingly, DSL modems connect to the telephone line. Using
    the filters that typically come with a DSL installation kit (or that can
    be purchased separately), you can connect botha a DSL modem and regular
    telephones (including regular or fax modems) to the same telephone line.
    You must have the filters on all telephone lines -- not just the one
    from your fax modem. If you don't do
    : > this, it's likely that your DSL service will not work properly. You
    also may hear interference on your phone calls and faxes may not work
    either.
    : >
[...]
    : > ciwstudybabe wrote:
    : >
    : > > Hi Cindy
    : > >
    : > > i think that we may be speaking the same language. I have a
    built-in modem,
    : > > but my Internet connection is operating through a broadband modem.
    I think
    : > > that I just read somewhere that if the built-in modem isn't
    connected to the
    : > > internet, then I can't send faxes through my PC. The software
    that I have
    : > > installed, (because I can't get my Windows XP service to install)
    states that
    : > > cable, ISDN, ADSL modems can't support faxes. Is this right,
    anyone?
    : > > I have to find a way to connect both of my modems????
    : > >
    : > > "Cindy" wrote:
    : > >
    : > > >
    : > > >
    : > > > > Cindy wrote:
    : > > > > > I keep trying to send an outgoing fax, but it fails because
    it
    : > > > > > doesn't detect a dial tone. I just started using DSL
    through Verizon
    : > > > > > and use AOL also. Is there a connection between the no dial
    tone &
    : > > > > > DSL service? Please help, I need to get out some resumes!
    How do I
    : > > > > > get the fax to send out? Thanks.
    : > > > >
    : > > > > Ye gods, yet another brain-dead moron. Of course there's no
    dial tone, how
    : > > > > can there be? You don't have a modem!
    : > > > >
    : > > > > Excuse me? I'm new to the computer fax world and by your
    answer you proved how socially inept you are. Didn't you ever learn how
    to behave appropriately? If someone else would like to help me, I'd
    appreciate it. My new system came with the printer/fax program
    installed on it. I have the DSL modem and of course, my Dell computer
    modem, so do I need another modem?....thought it was already set up on
    my new computer. What do I need to send the faxes?
    : > > > >
    : >
    : >
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Thanks, Mike-- I've already used dial-up on this computer in the past, now
    using DSL broadband. I do understand what you told me to do with connecting
    the "line", etc., but the only wall jack I have available already have the
    filtered DSL & telephone line (through an answering machine) hooked up to it.
    I can't connect another line into it, right? The fax software has already
    been installed, I just can't use it yet...and, I don't know how to perform
    the diagnostics test to see about the dial-up, although when I went into the
    Control Panel, it does have an AOL dial-up connection icon that says
    disconnected. Thanks.
    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> [...]
    > >>
    > >> The above assumes that you have two telephone jacks on the back of your
    > >> computer. One labeled "phone" (or with a picture of a telephone) and the
    > >> other labeled "line" or "telco" (or a picture of a wall jack). Take a
    > >> look at the back of your computer. Are there any phone jacks there (they
    > >> will look like your wall jack)? You may have one or two jacks (or
    > >> none). See http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/7310Series/1008379rvr13.shtml
    > >> for an example of what you're
    > >> looking for. Note that you may have an "Ethernet" or network jack
    > >> (right now, that may be connected to your DSL modem). An Ethernet jack
    > >> looks like a phone jack but it's slightly wider. Use the plug that now
    > >> plugs into the wall jack to compare -- the plug from the wall jack will
    > >> fit snugly into a phone jack, but it's smaller than an Ethernet jack.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Cindy

    You can get three way telephone jack adapters that will allow for your DSL
    connection, a 56k modem, and telephone of any type.. remember to plug the
    filters into the three way adapter, and route the phone and modem through
    them..

    Go into Control Panel - System and locate the 56k modem in the listing..
    check the properties for the device and ensure that the modem is enabled..

    If your son's laptop connects via dial up, that will tie up the telephone
    line in much the same way as when you just had a dial up connection..

    As Frank has said, ensure that the laptop is networked to your machine and
    accesses the internet through your DSL connection.. that will free up the
    telephone line again..

    Unless the AOL dialup connection is allowed as a backup in case your DSL
    goes down, you can remove the AOL dialup connection from your list of
    connections..

    You may have tried all of this already.. if it doesn't/hasn't worked, please
    come back for more suggestions.. apologies that this is taking more than one
    reply..

    --

    > Thanks, Mike-- I've already used dial-up on this computer in the past, now
    > using DSL broadband. I do understand what you told me to do with
    > connecting
    > the "line", etc., but the only wall jack I have available already have the
    > filtered DSL & telephone line (through an answering machine) hooked up to
    > it.
    > I can't connect another line into it, right? The fax software has already
    > been installed, I just can't use it yet...and, I don't know how to perform
    > the diagnostics test to see about the dial-up, although when I went into
    > the
    > Control Panel, it does have an AOL dial-up connection icon that says
    > disconnected. Thanks.
    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Cindy
    >>
    >> The two phone jacks on the back of your computer are the dialup modem..
    >> one
    >> of them will be marked 'phone' and the other marked 'line'..
    >>
    >> Connect the output marked 'line' to a telephone jack via a filter
    >> supplied
    >> by the ISP.. then load the dialup modem drivers if you have not already
    >> done
    >> so.. check in control panel that the dialup modem is showing in the
    >> configuration, and run the diagnostics to check that it is ok..
    >>
    >> Install your fax software.. the fax software should now detect the dialup
    >> modem..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have
    >> kept
    >> it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
    >>

    >> "Cindy" <Cindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi Lem or Tom--
    >> > I do have 2 phone jacks open on the back of my computer, as well as one
    >> > ethernet jack open (the other ethernet jack is being used for my
    >> > DSL) --
    >> > in
    >> > my wall jack, I have one line connected with a filter going into
    >> > telephone
    >> > answering machine (connected to my telephone) and the other line
    >> > connects
    >> > my DSL modem. I also have extra filters available and another split
    >> > filter
    >> > (wth 2 on 1 filtered jack)available.
    >> > I only have 1 telephone line--can talk and go on the internet at the
    >> > same
    >> > time as well as have my son use his laptop, so can I still be able to
    >> > fax?
    >> > I'm sorry, I need all the help I can get with this:)

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    : Cindy
    :
    : You can get three way telephone jack adapters that will allow for
    your DSL
    : connection, a 56k modem, and telephone of any type.. remember to plug
    the
    : filters into the three way adapter, and route the phone and modem
    through
    : them..

    Alternately, you can connect one filter between the three-way plug
    adapter and the wall plug (female). This will eliminate two filters from
    the setup reducing the "wire speghetti" effect.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    {snip}
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Tom

    The DSL connection should not go through a filter.. but I agree on the
    spaghetti issue.. it's becoming a nightmare..

    --

    "Tom Ferguson" <tomf@mvps.org> wrote in message

    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > : Cindy
    > :
    > : You can get three way telephone jack adapters that will allow for
    > your DSL
    > : connection, a 56k modem, and telephone of any type.. remember to plug
    > the
    > : filters into the three way adapter, and route the phone and modem
    > through
    > : them..
    >
    > Alternately, you can connect one filter between the three-way plug
    > adapter and the wall plug (female). This will eliminate two filters from
    > the setup reducing the "wire speghetti" effect.
    >

    > Tom
    > MSMVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > {snip}

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Quite correct... The DSL connection _cannot_ go through a filter and
    still work. Sorry if what I wrote seemed to imply that it should or
    could.

    To clarify:
    The phone, fax/modem and laptop internet connection (if dial-up) can go
    to the 3-way plug, through a filter, to the wall plug. The ADSL
    connection should go to the plus directly or through an adapter but
    _not_ a filter.

    Tom

    : Tom
    :
    : The DSL connection should not go through a filter.. but I agree on the
    : spaghetti issue.. it's becoming a nightmare..
    :
    : --
    : Mike Hall
    : MVP - Windows Shell/User
    :
    : "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have
    kept
    : it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
    :
    :
    : "Tom Ferguson" <tomf@mvps.org> wrote in message
    : news:u%23NT5WsfFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    : >
    : > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    : > news:OG%23faRsfFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    : > : Cindy
    : > :
[...]
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Thank you so much Tom & Mike -- I will be getting that 3 way filter,
    connecting my DSL without a filter, my phone and fax lines with filters.
    Now, everything makes sense to me! I appreciate all your help. My son's
    laptop has a wireless network adaptor card, so he won't be using dial-up.
    And, I have extra filters to use just in case I need them when I get the
    3-way. As soon as I have it hooked up, I'll let you guys know. May still
    need help in the Control Panel part of this:)

    "Tom Ferguson" wrote:

    > Quite correct... The DSL connection _cannot_ go through a filter and
    > still work. Sorry if what I wrote seemed to imply that it should or
    > could.
    >
    > To clarify:
    > The phone, fax/modem and laptop internet connection (if dial-up) can go
    > to the 3-way plug, through a filter, to the wall plug. The ADSL
    > connection should go to the plus directly or through an adapter but
    > _not_ a filter.
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > : Tom
    > :
    > : The DSL connection should not go through a filter.. but I agree on the
    > : spaghetti issue.. it's becoming a nightmare..
    > :
    > : --
    > : Mike Hall
    > : MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > :
    > : "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have
    > kept
    > : it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
    > :
    > :
    > : "Tom Ferguson" <tomf@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > : news:u%23NT5WsfFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > : >
    > : > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > : > news:OG%23faRsfFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > : > : Cindy
    > : > :
    > : > : You can get three way telephone jack adapters that will allow for
    > : > your DSL
    > : > : connection, a 56k modem, and telephone of any type.. remember to
    > plug
    > : > the
    > : > : filters into the three way adapter, and route the phone and modem
    > : > through
    > : > : them..
    > : >
    > : > Alternately, you can connect one filter between the three-way plug
    > : > adapter and the wall plug (female). This will eliminate two filters
    > from
    > : > the setup reducing the "wire speghetti" effect.
    > : >
    > : >
    > : > Tom
    > : > MSMVP
    > : > Windows Shell/User
    > : >
    > : > {snip}
    > : >
    > : >
    > :
    > :

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Great! Let us know hot it turns out.

    : "Tom Ferguson" wrote:
    :
[...]
    : > : --
    : > : Mike Hall
    : > : MVP - Windows Shell/User
    : > :
    : > : "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would
    have
    : > kept
    : > : it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
    : > :
    : > :
    : > : "Tom Ferguson" <tomf@mvps.org> wrote in message
    : > : news:u%23NT5WsfFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    : > : >
    : > : > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in
    message
    : > : > news:OG%23faRsfFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    : > : > : Cindy
    : > : > :
[...]
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    And don't forget to put filters on all of your other telephones and
    answering machines -- not just the one that shares the plug with your
    DSL modem.

    Cindy wrote:
> [...]
    >>: > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >>: > news:OG%23faRsfFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >>: > : Cindy
    >>: > :
    >>: > : You can get three way telephone jack adapters that will allow for
    >>: > your DSL
    >>: > : connection, a 56k modem, and telephone of any type.. remember to
    >>plug
    >>: > the
    >>: > : filters into the three way adapter, and route the phone and modem
    >>: > through
    >>: > : them..
    >>: >
    >>: > Alternately, you can connect one filter between the three-way plug
    >>: > adapter and the wall plug (female). This will eliminate two filters
    >>from
    >>: > the setup reducing the "wire speghetti" effect.

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Yet another great use of etiquette that you espouse constantly.Too bad your
    a hypocrite, huh?

    > Cindy wrote:
    >> I keep trying to send an outgoing fax, but it fails because it
    >> doesn't detect a dial tone. I just started using DSL through Verizon
    >> and use AOL also. Is there a connection between the no dial tone &
    >> DSL service? Please help, I need to get out some resumes! How do I
    >> get the fax to send out? Thanks.
    >
    > Ye gods, yet another brain-dead moron. Of course there's no dial tone, how
    > can there be? You don't have a modem!

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Hi you all (Lem, Tom F, Mike H, Byte, etc...all else that helped me!)
    I got the 3-way adapter and as I'm typing right now, my son is on his laptop
    (wirelessly), I just sent my resume through my fax modem to several places,
    I'm on the phone and here all at the same time---THANKS TO YOU ALL! I really
    want to express my appreciation for all the time, patience and help you all
    gave me -- it really paid off...and I'm sure I will get call backs for
    interviews because of this:)

    "Tom Ferguson" wrote:

> [...]
    > : > : > :
    > : > : > : You can get three way telephone jack adapters that will allow
    > for
    > : > : > your DSL
    > : > : > : connection, a 56k modem, and telephone of any type.. remember
    > : > plug
    > : > : > the
    > : > : > : filters into the three way adapter, and route the phone and
    > modem
    > : > : > through
    > : > : > : them..
    > : > : >
    > : > : > Alternately, you can connect one filter between the three-way
    > plug
    > : > : > adapter and the wall plug (female). This will eliminate two
    > filters
    > : > from
    > : > : > the setup reducing the "wire speghetti" effect.

  23. Quote:

    Cindy wrote:
    > I keep trying to send an outgoing fax, but it fails because it
    > doesn't detect a dial tone. I just started using DSL through Verizon
    > and use AOL also. Is there a connection between the no dial tone &
    > DSL service? Please help, I need to get out some resumes! How do I
    > get the fax to send out? Thanks.

    Ye gods, yet another brain-dead moron. Of course there's no dial tone, how
    can there be? You don't have a modem!

    And the horse you rode in on, creep.

Fax DSL Microsoft Windows XP