Windows Fax adding unwanted attachments

When I use Windows XP fax, everything seems to be ok, until, before the
actual transmission, I ask for a preview. Then, I see that my attachments
have been replaced by graphic files taken (randomly?) from my HD.

Virus scans, and other trojan/spyware/malware scans do not yield anything.
I also removed and re-installed the MS Windows fax component.... to no avail!

I am looking for an idea about what to do next. Thanks for your suggestions!
2 answers Last reply
More about windows adding unwanted attachments

    Most often, this problem arises because some other imaging application that
    you installed has set itself as the default viewer for TIF files. To view
    faxes from the Fax Console, the Windows Imaging and Fax viewer must be your
    default viewer for TIF files. You can easily restore that setting in Windows
    Explorer > Folder Options. File Types. For most users the command line
    should read:

    "rundll32.exe <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1"

    Another common cause of this problem is firewall software Trojan horse
    rules. The most common is one that ships with Norton Internet Security.
    Details on that on are available here:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/4a29389c214c78ea88256c75005f451a/713afacbd4135e0a88256c77007e526f?OpenDocument

    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "VieuxLoup" <VieuxLoup@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I use Windows XP fax, everything seems to be ok, until, before the
    > actual transmission, I ask for a preview. Then, I see that my attachments
    > have been replaced by graphic files taken (randomly?) from my HD.
    >
    > Virus scans, and other trojan/spyware/malware scans do not yield anything.
    > I also removed and re-installed the MS Windows fax component.... to no
    > avail!
    >
    > I am looking for an idea about what to do next. Thanks for your
    > suggestions!

    Thank you for this information. I had checked the TIF file association issue
    and there seems to be nothing wrong, in as much that it is the Windows
    Imaging and Fax viewer that is the default application I am not sure about
    the "rundll32.exe ..." opening command. I will check that as soon as I have
    acess to the computer again.
    Thanks again!

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > Most often, this problem arises because some other imaging application that
    > you installed has set itself as the default viewer for TIF files. To view
    > faxes from the Fax Console, the Windows Imaging and Fax viewer must be your
    > default viewer for TIF files. You can easily restore that setting in Windows
    > Explorer > Folder Options. File Types. For most users the command line
    > should read:
    >
    > "rundll32.exe <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1"
    >
    > Another common cause of this problem is firewall software Trojan horse
    > rules. The most common is one that ships with Norton Internet Security.
    > Details on that on are available here:
    > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/4a29389c214c78ea88256c75005f451a/713afacbd4135e0a88256c77007e526f?OpenDocument
    >

    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "VieuxLoup" <VieuxLoup@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I use Windows XP fax, everything seems to be ok, until, before the
    > > actual transmission, I ask for a preview. Then, I see that my attachments
    > > have been replaced by graphic files taken (randomly?) from my HD.
    > >
    > > Virus scans, and other trojan/spyware/malware scans do not yield anything.
    > > I also removed and re-installed the MS Windows fax component.... to no
    > > avail!
    > >
    > > I am looking for an idea about what to do next. Thanks for your
    > > suggestions!

Fax Microsoft Windows XP